Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ ;D
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

magpie seanie

Quote from: moysider on March 30, 2009, 10:54:51 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 30, 2009, 10:14:39 PM
Quote from: moysider on March 30, 2009, 10:00:43 PM

Throw-in is at 5 on Saturday evening. Cant see our lads being complacent at all. Many of them will be trying to win their first provincial medal on the field. Also they know if they win the have a good chance of going all the way. Having squandered comfortable positions in previous 2 matches I would expect them to be more clinical this time if they get into winning situation. On the other hand I remember a savage beating down there 10 years ago in McStays time.

So does McStay! He still isn't over it!

I know ye enjoyed that one. I remember Sligo fans laughing about us well before the end and giving McStay abuse when he crossed the line to shout encouragement to his flailing troops.

Correct me if I m wrong but did ye then go and lose the final to East Galway? That was careless of ye if that was the case?

I assume you mean Ros and yes we did. The final was a terrible performance but typical of Sligo teams - A good day followed by a bad day, then a good day again etc...We had drawn with Mayo in Ballina and that game in Markievicz was a replay.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: baoithe on March 31, 2009, 02:38:50 PM
Don't know about Billy but fairly sure the poor auld fella that died went by the name of Eddie. Could be wrong though.
You are right; the father was Eddie alright. I just wasn't concentrating when I wrote that last post. I had been thinking more about poor Eddie's death than I was about Billy and what became of him.
I hope to make it to the game next weekend and I'm planning to go by Charlestown as I'd like to met up with  a few friends there.
I'm sure I'll find what I'm looking for then.
(Janey, as you get older, the auld memory starts to go a bit funny at times!)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

the Deel Rover

enjoy the final Lar when was the last final you attended ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Greenabovethered

Lar as you are the elder statesman here, can you name the former Bellaghy man who played for both Mayo & Sligo and holds an All Ireland winners medal?  You might get the answer in Charlestown over the weekend!

Lar Naparka

The elder statesman, no less!
Well, I've been called many things in my time but no one who knows me, have ever come close to describing me as a statesman!!
With regard to the player in question, are we talking about handball here?
I have a feeling you could have Brian Colleran in mind.
BTW: Deel, I last attended a Connacht Final back in '99, a full decade ago. How the years fly by.
Just at the moment, the last game notwithstanding, I don't really have the heart to go watch the seniors anywhere. I'd love to go to see the u21s or maybe the minors or Cora & co. but there have been too many false dawns for me where the seniors are concerned.
I'll hold fire for a while before deciding about going to the next Connacht final at that level.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

magpie seanie

Lads and lassies - hope I'm not raking over the old coals but did ye see the name of one of the favoured horses in the Grand National on Saturday? Uncanny.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 01, 2009, 12:40:03 PM
Lads and lassies - hope I'm not raking over the old coals but did ye see the name of one of the favoured horses in the Grand National on Saturday? Uncanny.

I thought it was Comply or Die! Which would be Sligonian's mantra anyway! But then saw Parsons Legacy . . .

the Deel Rover

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 01, 2009, 12:54:55 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 01, 2009, 12:40:03 PM

I thought it was Comply or Die! Which would be Sligonian's mantra anyway! But then saw Parsons Legacy . . .

will have to put a few quid on him . Whats the trainers colours green and red i hope  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

joemamas

Quote from: Greenabovethered on March 31, 2009, 05:54:19 PM
Lar as you are the elder statesman here, can you name the former Bellaghy man who played for both Mayo & Sligo and holds an All Ireland winners medal?  You might get the answer in Charlestown over the weekend!

My Guess is Eamon Walsh.

I would say there is a fair chance that you could bump into him and Tomas Parsons father, in Walsh's Bar on Saturday night. A popular watering hole for GAA folk after games.

The flame still burns

I was doing a piece for my blog and spotted that TEN of the eighteen who played in the 2006 All-Ireland final for Mayo are in the current Mayo senior squad. Add to that Keith Higgins and its a good return from that team. Especially when you add in that players that were too young for that squad but are now in the senior squad amount to six and we do have a fair few lads 24 or under. Pity Michael Conroy and Aidan Campbell and Enda Varley aren't there, for whatever reason.

http://thereisalightthatnevergoesout.wordpress.com/2009/04/01/class-of-2006-graduating-well/

moysider

Quote from: The flame still burns on April 01, 2009, 07:24:55 PM
I was doing a piece for my blog and spotted that TEN of the eighteen who played in the 2006 All-Ireland final for Mayo are in the current Mayo senior squad. Add to that Keith Higgins and its a good return from that team. Especially when you add in that players that were too young for that squad but are now in the senior squad amount to six and we do have a fair few lads 24 or under. Pity Michael Conroy and Aidan Campbell and Enda Varley aren't there, for whatever reason.

http://thereisalightthatnevergoesout.wordpress.com/2009/04/01/class-of-2006-graduating-well/

3 forwards as well.

RedandGreenSniper

I'm not sure about Campbell or Conroy but Varley's lack of an opportunity beggars belief. One of the more natural forwards in Mayo.

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 01, 2009, 10:22:17 PM
I'm not sure about Campbell or Conroy but Varley's lack of an opportunity beggars belief. One of the more natural forwards in Mayo.

Conroy has the talent but there seemed to be conditioning issues. I thought Campbell would be a regular for a dozen years. Awful loss. Would nt have seen as much of Varley. Talented and it looks like he s improving still. Probably wont feature this year now anyway.

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on April 01, 2009, 10:39:47 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 01, 2009, 10:22:17 PM

Conroy has the talent but there seemed to be conditioning issues. I thought Campbell would be a regular for a dozen years. Awful loss. Would nt have seen as much of Varley. Talented and it looks like he s improving still. Probably wont feature this year now anyway.

Conroy is in Australia. Always thought he got a fairly raw deal.
O Mahoney told Campbell last October that he wouldnt need his services this year.
JOM simply couldnt handle him, another example of bad man management.