Connacht U-21 Championship 2009

Started by Farrandeelin, February 20, 2009, 02:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayo51

mayo 3.10 ros 2.13  f.t  extra time to be played. tom parsons with last minute goal

AhFeckRef

Sligo 0-12, Leitrim 0-4 with about a minute to go.

Some game in Charlestown. Gone to extra time!

mayo51

mayo 3.13 ros  2.14 h.t of extra time  . ros to play with wind in 2ind half

mayo51

mayo51

mayo 4.14 roscommon 2.15      f.t.          cracker of a game.mayo rode their luck with parsons goal at the end of full time to pull them level

small white mayoman

fair play to parsons great to se him back to form i'm sure he can't wait to play sligo  ;)
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

criostlinn

magpie seanie

Final is down for Apr 4th and Sligo should have home venue.

We were good in patches today but overall you would have to say the major factor in the game was how woeful Leitrim were. We will need to improve for next week but have the capacity to do so. Would be more worried if we'd blitzed Leitrim and played to our peak.

blast05

Was listening to the Mayo game on the radio  ..... my biggest cheer of the day was Parsons goal with the last kick of the game in normal time ......  rugby was only in the ha'penny place  :)

moysider

That was some game in Charlestown today. Caught for 2 quick goals early in second half where we had been well in control. We recovered briefly and basically went into meltdown. In fairness to Ros they raised their game when they sniffed a chance and their pressure game and defence was top class as they turned us over time and we started to throw in errors. They also kicked some lovely points. We got out of gaol in normal time. I ve never seen us to rescue a game like that before but it was just fortunate. Over the whole game though I thought we had more about us and most of the better performances. Our forwards were better set up from the Galway game and there are goals in us.These 2 matches should stand to us. We ll be hard to beat now.

SLIGONIAN

Sligo v Mayo and the traitor, ..... If Karma and justice exist in this world Sligo will prevail.

Best of Luck Sligo

Either way we have to get Bellaghy back and stop talking on here and start doing something about it, it is our right.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 22, 2009, 05:11:29 PM
Sligo v Mayo and the traitor, ..... If Karma and justice exist in this world Sligo will prevail.

Best of Luck Sligo

Either way we have to get Bellaghy back and stop talking on here and start doing something about it, it is our right.

Cop the f**k on will you. That's an awful comment to direct towards a 21 year old lad.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

RedandGreenSniper

Back to the football.

I still have a spring in my step from being fortunate enough to witness the Mayo Roscommon game yesterday. Absolute credit to both teams for one of the best games I've ever seen and naturally Mayo winning is great!

We were beaten in normal time. The lads looked out on their feet and being honest the equalising goal was poxy. We were eight points up early in the second half but the concession of two goals in 60 seconds brought the Rossies back into the game and make no mistake about it, they're a serious outfit and they made the most of the opportunity that presented itself.
They are physically big and really know how to kick on when they see any sort of gap at all. While I'm sure all Rossies are sickened, they have done awfully well to bring so many of the Minors of 2006 onto this team (13 of the starting fifteen and two subs, unreal!) but why Conor Devaney didn't start is beyond me. The word was out that he had the mumps but I believe this wasn't enough to stop him starting, that he was simply not picked by management. Maybe the Roscommon lads can fill us in.
But once Mayo got the goal from Jason Doherty, we always had the momentum for extra time and made the most of our reprieve.
To have beaten both Galway and Roscommon is a great achievement and many people will be talking about how far they can go etc. But to look past Sligo would be dangerous and there'll be nothing straightforward about the final, especially considering our ability to lose big leads in both games thus far.

From a performance point of view Parsons got Motm and really dominated midfield, although he did give away some silly ball. I thought Jason Doherty was the best player. He really stepped it up from the week before, kicked 2-4 and hit the bar twice with two other goal chances (the second of which would be a contender for miss of the year). We really needed a better return from the inside line and they scored 4-6 yesterday, compared to 2-0 the week before.
Cathal Carolan was also a contender for MOTM with an unbelieavable workrate around the middle while, and I don't want to keep going on about him, but Kevin McLoughlin was class again. His reading of the game is top notch, meaning he can often be out in front for a ball ten yards ahead of his man. He makes defending look so, so easy.

Roll on Sligo. Here's hoping for four in a row, which would be some achievement. But it ain't in the bag yet.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Tubberman

Back to the football.

I still have a spring in my step from being fortunate enough to witness the Mayo Roscommon game yesterday. Absolute credit to both teams for one of the best games I've ever seen and naturally Mayo winning is great!

We were beaten in normal time. The lads looked out on their feet and being honest the equalising goal was poxy. We were eight points up early in the second half but the concession of two goals in 60 seconds brought the Rossies back into the game and make no mistake about it, they're a serious outfit and they made the most of the opportunity that presented itself.
They are physically big and really know how to kick on when they see any sort of gap at all. While I'm sure all Rossies are sickened, they have done awfully well to bring so many of the Minors of 2006 onto this team (13 of the starting fifteen and two subs, unreal!) but why Conor Devaney didn't start is beyond me. The word was out that he had the mumps but I believe this wasn't enough to stop him starting, that he was simply not picked by management. Maybe the Roscommon lads can fill us in.
But once Mayo got the goal from Jason Doherty, we always had the momentum for extra time and made the most of our reprieve.
To have beaten both Galway and Roscommon is a great achievement and many people will be talking about how far they can go etc. But to look past Sligo would be dangerous and there'll be nothing straightforward about the final, especially considering our ability to lose big leads in both games thus far.

From a performance point of view Parsons got Motm and really dominated midfield, although he did give away some silly ball. I thought Jason Doherty was the best player. He really stepped it up from the week before, kicked 2-4 and hit the bar twice with two other goal chances (the second of which would be a contender for miss of the year). We really needed a better return from the inside line and they scored 4-6 yesterday, compared to 2-0 the week before.
Cathal Carolan was also a contender for MOTM with an unbelieavable workrate around the middle while, and I don't want to keep going on about him, but Kevin McLoughlin was class again. His reading of the game is top notch, meaning he can often be out in front for a ball ten yards ahead of his man. He makes defending look so, so easy.

Roll on Sligo. Here's hoping for four in a row, which would be some achievement. But it ain't in the bag yet.

It was some day of sport, and the U-21 was the best match I've seen in a long long time!
An unreal game, Mayo kicked some great scores in the first half moving the ball forward quickly whereas Ros seemed to have much more trouble finding space for their forwards to shine. We got our goals at great times, and the 7 point halftime lead was a bit flattering. Ros were doing pretty well in general but hadn't been able to convert it into scores - Donie Shine missed a close in free from in front of the posts.
We were 8 points up in the second half and then Ros got 2 goals in a minute - the big Ros crowd erupted! Mayo faded out of it in midfield (which is why I didn't think Parsons was MOTM). We ended up going from 8 points up early in the second half to being 3 down two mins into injury time. I don't know how that goal went in with the last kick of the game but we were definitely fortunate to get away with it.
That meant the momentum was back with Mayo for extra time and we were the better team, running out 5 point winners. Amazing scoreline of 4-14 to 2-15. I'm sure the Rossies couldn't believe they'd scored 2-15 and yet lost.
You're dead right R&GS about Devaney - he was a huge thorn in the Mayo side from the time he came on. But when McLoughlin was moved onto him he did brilliantly, he caught a few massives balls and was always in the right position - a top class player.
I know you can't look past Sligo, but you'd have to say Mayo will be hot favourites to win a fourth Connacht title in a row, which would be a great achievement.

And Sligonian, you're a bitter pr*ck. A bit like some of those Ros supporters beside me who were roaring abuse at young players (including their own). Having said that, the Rossies travelled in big numbers, and there was some dead sound people there too who really knew their football and appreciated all the players on both sides.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Owenmoresider

Well we got the expected win, but tbh you couldn't possibly have lost that if we tried, Leitrim were totally inept. A good first ten minutes and last ten minutes did the damage. Backs were solid, Ewing showed the class needed to make the step up, Greene was decent too. Midfield so-so, Gaughan did well in the forwards, McHugh was better than I had expected, and Coen got a good tally, but his stomach for contesting dirty ball is suspect. Improvement needed to make a strong challenge in the final, Mayo will the massive favourites which is fine by me.