Connacht U-21 Championship 2009

Started by Farrandeelin, February 20, 2009, 02:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

When are these games been played does anyone know? Plus who is playing who? I haven't heard a word about it to be honest.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GaillimhIarthair

This is as much as I could find Farr.  No venues or times available as of yet.  I would assume either Charlestown or Ballina will be the venue for our game as Castlebar will probably be unavailable?

Connacht Under-21 Football Championship

Sat, 14-March
Mayo - -- - -- Galway

Sat, 21-March-09

Sligo - -- - -- Leitrim
Mayo/Galway - -- - -- Roscommon

moysider

I thought it was a home game for Galway???

Barney

No Mayo played Galway in the semi-final in Pearse Stadium two years ago and I think won by about two goals.

Last year Sligo beat Galway, and didn't play Mayo so defo on in the Plain of the Yews. Could be in Claremorris/Ballinrobe?

Mayo are going for 4-in-a-row in Connacht. Will be a hard ask.

RedandGreenSniper

Haven't heard or asked anyone about the Under 21's yet but Mayo should have a decent side. Tom Parsons, Kevin McLoughlin, Mikey Sweeney, Donal Vaughan, Aidan O'Shea and Robbie Hennelly from the senior squad. Other minors from last year like Shane Nally, Cathal Freeman, Kevin Keane and Ger McDonagh along with some of the 07 minors - Alan Freeman, Jason Doherty, Ruairi O'Connor and then players who have come to prominence with the club like Brian Gallagher and Jason Gibbons make for a strong looking team, if all are involved.
Pearce Hanley would still be underage if he were around too  :-[

Will be a very hard Connacht title to win given that when these lads were minor, Roscommon won the All-Ireland. Galway won the following year and Mayo got to the final last year. Connacht winners to be All-Ireland favourites??
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Tatler Jack

Should be a good c'ship  with Mayo,Galway and Ros all having strong panels and whichever of Sligo and Leirim get to the final they can be expected to give it a fair old rattle.

moysider

Quote from: Barney on February 20, 2009, 04:02:45 PM
No Mayo played Galway in the semi-final in Pearse Stadium two years ago and I think won by about two goals.

Last year Sligo beat Galway, and didn't play Mayo so defo on in the Plain of the Yews. Could be in Claremorris/Ballinrobe?

Mayo are going for 4-in-a-row in Connacht. Will be a hard ask.

Thats good. We have a home game v Roscommon as well if we beat Galway.

Rossfan

We've got the worst possible draw this year having to go in cold against the winners of the Herrins/Rhubarbs game. They'll have a chance to iron out any weaknesses and will be starting with their best team while we probably wont discover our best line out till 10 minutes into the second half.
We just have to hope that the winning mindset engendered in these lads as minors  by Fergie/Stephen/Deccie and co. will still be there despite Maughtan's best efforts to ruin them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Rossfan on February 20, 2009, 08:55:07 PM
We've got the worst possible draw this year having to go in cold against the winners of the Herrins/Rhubarbs game. They'll have a chance to iron out any weaknesses and will be starting with their best team while we probably wont discover our best line out till 10 minutes into the second half.
We just have to hope that the winning mindset engendered in these lads as minors  by Fergie/Stephen/Deccie and co. will still be there despite Maughtan's best efforts to ruin them.

That'll might up for the 2007 minor then when ye beat us in the semi-final with us cold after no game and ye, as defending all-ireland champs, had the benefit of that ridiculous round robin series before ye played us

neilthemac

that was voted through on a majority. get over it

don't write off sligo

SLIGONIAN

In the Cadburys Connacht Under 21 Championship, Sligo are drawn away to Leitrim in the semi-final on Saturday, March 21st.
Mayo and Galway meet in a preliminary round at Markievicz Park on Saturday, March 14th, with the winners playing Roscommon in the semi-final on March 21st. The under 21 final is scheduled for Saturday, April 4th.

It doesnt make any sense that the game would be in the park but i got this from a Local newspaper after the draw was made.

Sligo have a very strong panel this yr again at u21, 11 of last yrs starting 15 still eligible and we beat Galway and blew the rossie game last yr when in pole position so I wouldnt write us off.

We won the NW cup final last night against Donegal 2-8 to 0-7 in Ballybofey. We dont play in the Hastings cup.

The draw has been good to us and we'll see how we get on. Hopefully make the final at least and hope for a home draw in that.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: neilthemac on February 20, 2009, 10:58:29 PM

don't write off sligo

Majority or not it was a joke, end of.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 21, 2009, 12:42:57 PM

don't write off sligo

The minor round robin system is scrapped anyway so I dont know why yer talking about it, joke or not its in the past.

Sligo play Galway at home in the qtr on May 16th. The winners play Mayo as curtain raiser to Sligo V Galway on june 28th. FYI... i think the Connacht minor league is starting soon and probably worth having a another thread for that.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rossfan

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 20, 2009, 09:39:00 PM
[benefit of that ridiculous round robin series before ye played us

Not half as ridiculous as last years system where Galway/Mayo had a warmer upper game to decide who they'd play in the Semis.
If I remember rightly the Connacht Council originally wanted to play the championship on a round robin basis to give all Counties 4 games and the top 2 play the Final but our friends from the (soon to be former I hope)"big 2" wouldnt partake.
A bit like the way ye ganged up to prevent the  the St John's Club in Ballagh affiliating to the County Board of their  own County. >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 21, 2009, 01:32:24 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 21, 2009, 12:42:57 PM

don't write off sligo

The minor round robin system is scrapped anyway so I dont know why yer talking about it, joke or not its in the past.

Sligo play Galway at home in the qtr on May 16th. The winners play Mayo as curtain raiser to Sligo V Galway on june 28th. FYI... i think the Connacht minor league is starting soon and probably worth having a another thread for that.

You can start that thread so Sligonian seen as I started this one. ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.