Connacht U-21 Championship 2009

Started by Farrandeelin, February 20, 2009, 02:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Anyone know what time the Sligo-Leitrim game is on at on Saturday? Only seen today that it's in Carrick.

moysider

Quote from: Rossfan on March 17, 2009, 09:21:32 PM
No nothing like that...just that teams who were up there with us at Minor in 2006 havent exactly set the world alight this year at U 21 - Offaly and Meanth gone in Leinster and poor with it while Kerry who we bet in the  Final( batin Kerry in Finals eh  ;)- an oul Rossie habit that doesnt seem to travel to the West of us too well  ;D) got the mother and father of a hidin by Cork.
So we're afraid it might be our turn now... :-\
Anyway I suppose we'll see ye all in Charlestown Saturday ?

Sound reasoning Rossfan. We ve won the last three U21s without those teams having won at minor. Did nt think that 2006 Kerry minor team were a pile anyway. They had a couple of individuals but were ordinary overall. Not a patch on last years Tyrone minor team.

Rossfan

Quote from: Owenmoresider on March 17, 2009, 09:23:10 PM
Anyone know what time the Sligo-Leitrim game is on at on Saturday? Only seen today that it's in Carrick.

I suspect it's at 2.30 as well Owen so you'll be able to go to Coola first for the minor.
Dont think I'll be able to make the minor as I have some duties to attend to Saturday morning.
I suppose Sligo would be confident of making the final(U21)?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Rossfan on March 17, 2009, 10:29:15 PM

I suspect it's at 2.30 as well Owen so you'll be able to go to Coola first for the minor.
Dont think I'll be able to make the minor as I have some duties to attend to Saturday morning.
I'd be more concerned with the tight squeeze with our derby club game being on at 5, but which some might want to bring forward to, er, watch some muck game being played in Wales. Minors can wait for another day.

We'd expect to beat Leitrim, for self-respect more than anything. Whatever comes our way in the final, we would like to expect to be in it. Also it'll be a home game for us should we be there, so it'd attract a crowd. Not sure what this team will be like to be honest, lost out badly to Galway in 2006, can't remember how they did in the league then, though that mattered SFA to Ros later that year. Though some posters would make you think it's only a matter of who we'd prefer to administer a beating to in the AIF. :P

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Owenmoresider on March 17, 2009, 10:45:58 PM

I'd be more concerned with the tight squeeze with our derby club game being on at 5, but which some might want to bring forward to, er, watch some muck game being played in Wales. Minors can wait for another day.

We'd expect to beat Leitrim, for self-respect more than anything. Whatever comes our way in the final, we would like to expect to be in it. Also it'll be a home game for us should we be there, so it'd attract a crowd. Not sure what this team will be like to be honest, lost out badly to Galway in 2006, can't remember how they did in the league then, though that mattered SFA to Ros later that year. Though some posters would make you think it's only a matter of who we'd prefer to administer a beating to in the AIF. :P

Im not going to say much only this, im confident and expecting us to win Connacht ;) simple as that, no excuses. If we dont well for me thats an underachievement. 18 of last yrs panel available, even last yr we should of won it and i can only hope and pray we learned from that to make even better stab at it this yr.

Is the u21 match on Ocean FM OMS? Im hoping it is as i can listen online.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Farrandeelin

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 18, 2009, 08:57:31 AM

Im not going to say much only this, im confident and expecting us to win Connacht ;) simple as that, no excuses. If we dont well for me thats an underachievement. 18 of last yrs panel available, even last yr we should of won it and i can only hope and pray we learned from that to make even better stab at it this yr.

Ye will win it so Sligonian. I remember in early 2007 when you came on here first I think you said that Sligo would win the senior Connacht title and that turned out true! :o
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 18, 2009, 02:59:19 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 18, 2009, 08:57:31 AM

Ye will win it so Sligonian. I remember in early 2007 when you came on here first I think you said that Sligo would win the senior Connacht title and that turned out true! :o

He says Sligo will win every game they play though. He's bound to get it right eventually. Stopped clocks and all. ;D

ludermor

SLIGONIAN

Before every Sligo match, i was go believing we will win. Whats the point turning up if your FAN or PLAYER just to lose? I dont believe in that mentality thats all.

Anyways this u21 squad is definitly good enough, the players need to know that not just me. We'll find out fairly soon.

magpie seanie

We have a good squad, no doubt. I expect we'll get over Leitrim on Saturday and hope to make it up there to see it. If that's achieved we'll have a once off game against a team/county that will expect to beat us. Overall I'd be optimistic but I've seen enough over the years to temper my enthusiasm. As Mano said on the Sligo club thread - we have a good squad but so too do some of the remaining teams in the province.

SLIGONIAN

I agree with you and Baoithe, I know the rossies and mayo have good squads aswell no doubt but that bit of added belief with us could carry over the threshold. With Donegals and Fermanaghs good showing in Ulster it further enhances my optimism considering we beat them both comfortably in the NW cup. Ive said enough, I wish the Sligo team and management all the best on Saturday.

magpie seanie

Team etc from www.sligogaa.ie:

SLIGEACH FAOI -21 V LIATHDROIM  sa Craobh Chomortas Peil Chonnachta   ag  Cora Droma Ruisc  21-3-2009.

1 Conor O Mathuna Conor O'Mahony (Cul Iorra/Leathros)

2 Pádraig O h-Uaine Patrick Greene (Naomh Eoin)

3 Brian O Murchu Brian Murphy (Tobar an Choire)

4 Nollaig O Gacháin Noel Gaughan (Tuarliostráin)

5 Conchuir O Dáibhi Conor Davey (Droimcliabh/Ros Ceite)

6Niall Mac Eoghain Neil Ewing (Droim Cliabh /Ros Ceite)

7Gabhin Mac Giolla Seannain Gavin Gilsenan(Gaeil Naomh Mhaolaise)

8 Stiofáin Mac Enri Stephen Henry (Tuarliostráin)

9Stiofáin Mac Giolla Mháirtin Stephen Gilmartin(Tobar an Choire)

10Caoláin Mac Amhlaigh Keelan Cawley (Cul-Iorra/Leathros)

11Gearoid O Gacháin Gary Gaughan (Tuarliostráin)

12 Stiofáin Mac Giolla Cadhain Stephen Kilcoyne (Curry)

13 Stiofáin O Cadhain Stephen Coen (Naomh Mhuire)

14Eoin Mac Aodha Eoin Mc Hugh (St.Molaise Gaels)

15Alan O Doinn Alan Dunne (Tuarliostráin)

Fir Ionaid.

16Marc O Ruanaidh  Mark Rooney (Naomh Mhuire)

17 Conchur O Brádaigh Conor Brady (Naomh Pádraig)

18Seamas O h-Eidhin James Hynes (Naomh Fearnáin)

19 Niall Mac Aogháin Niall Egan (Tuarliostráin)

20Micheál O h-Ainle Michael Hanley (Naomh Mhuire)

21Damien O Baoill Damien O Boyle (Calrai/Naomh Iosaif)

22Cathal O Broinn Cathal Burns (Gaeil Naomh Mhaolaise)

23Pol O Bhraonáin Paul Brennan (Gaeil na Seamroige)

24Pol O Ceallaigh Paul Kelly (Naomh Pádraig) 

Bainisteoir: Fearghal O Flaitheartaigh

Roghnoiri: Deasun O Sluáin,Con O Meara

I must say it looks a good team with some pretty good ladson the bench too. Lets do it lads!

mayo51

mayo  2.05  ros  0.04    h.t.    ros to play with wind in 2ind half.cathal freeman off injured

AhFeckRef

Leitrim 0-3 Sligo 0-5 at half time

mayo51

mayo 2.10 ros 2.13   2 min to go