Down v Cavan

Started by DownFanatic, February 19, 2009, 02:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Cavan are in a rut, Gordon and McComiskey are back, I think a handy enough win for Down is on the cards here.

5 Sams

We said the same about Leitrim last year :-\
The Aristocrat Years

DownFanatic

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 19, 2009, 02:33:30 PM

That was last year.

cavanmaniac

If Cavan are going to show any bit of balls or gumption this year, it will be in this game. Some sort of response required after two morale-sapping results, up against the marquee team in the Division, a side they always give a game to, and a bit of a break since their previous game so fitness should be better.

Still can't see them living with Down, although I expect it to be high scoring. It'll get worse for Cavan I fear - results wise anyway - before it gets better. But I think we've waved goodbye to promotion anyway so it's all about performances now, hopefully we'll pick up enough wins later to stay up.

Denn Forever

Calling all Cavan fans.

Keep stum.  We've lulled everyone into a false sense of security. 

Even if we go down to Div. 4, they will have to let Ulster winners get a second bite of the cherry if we have a hiccupp in the first round in 2010.Too true Cavanmaniac, we will be fine in 2009!
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

5 Sams

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 19, 2009, 02:37:36 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on February 19, 2009, 02:33:30 PM

That was last year.
Yeah I know ...what I'm saying is it's Down we're talking about here....we cant get complacent against perceived weaker teams which Cavan may be at the minute.
The Aristocrat Years

Our Nail Loney

Forget the handy enough win, an all Ulster tie will be tight enough, I would settle for a one or two point win please..

umpire

I would expect Cavan put up a strong fight against any Down team, they have always done so in the past.
I remember the Caven with Peter Pricthard scored 2 goals that knocked out Down team out of 1962 Ulster championship, that end Down dream  of going for 3 in row.
Never could trust the Cavan after that, no matter how poorly they play..

Dubh driocht

Correct Umpire
No Down team ever got it handy against Cavan at any level.This is an absolutely critical game.Tommy Carr may not be a world leader in man management or tactics but he will have them fired up big time.Let's hope Ross and DJ do likewise as a win will set us up well for a promotion push.

DownFanatic

Regardless if Cavan approach this game with an increased intensity, we should still have enough in the tank for a 4-6 point win.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 19, 2009, 09:44:03 PM
Regardless if Cavan approach this game with an increased intensity, we should still have enough in the tank for a 4-6 point win.

Totally agree especially with home advantage. Ross should maybe leave under 21s ORielly, Maginn, Murney and McComiskey out of this one or at least keep only McComiskey in the 24 for back up with the under 21 championship round the corner from this game. Would like to see Murtagh at half back again and Garvey given a chance to play in the troublesome full back position. Anyone know if injury prone Eoin McCartan and Declan Rooney will be available for this game?

Mourne Rover

MDG, I would be happy to see Garvey tried at fullback as it remains our main problem position. However, we surely know that Murtagh is either in the forward line or nowhere. He started reasonably well at wing half in the 2007 championship but lost his way quickly and struggled badly in the Monaghan and Meath games. He still has to be a contender up front, but it would be a shame if a way of bringing Clarke back cannot be found.

I'm not sure about resting all the u21s against Cavan on March 7, as their championship game against the winners of Monaghan/Fermanagh is not until March 18. Murney will may well still be injured, as I think he had a broken wrist, and McComiskey should be kept on the bench until the last quarter as he regains fitness, but I would be inclined to start Maginn.

Double Cross

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on February 19, 2009, 10:42:19 PM
Anyone know if injury prone Eoin McCartan and Declan Rooney will be available for this game?

Dont know how McCartan is getting on but I believe Rooney isnt too far away from being fit.

mylestheslasher

Cavan have taken an awful lot of flak since the loss to Tipp. Even the normally friendly local Paper The Anglo Celt is having a real dig at the players and their bad attitude and lack of respect in the Jersey. So the question for is us is will the players be ashamed of themselves and be really up for this game in order to make ammends or will they just shrug their shoulders and continue with more of the same.

I do expect Cavan to put out a fairly strong team. Seanie Johnstone will most likely start. McCabe is supposedly back training so he might also play a part. FB is where we have big problems with Pauric Reilly not working out in  there. I expect some sort of a change of personnel here, although we just don't seem to have a FB in our midst.

I hope Cavans player up there game and run Down close, maybe even sneak a win. But I am very afraid that it could be a hammering as the mental toughness of this team is weak. It could be  the make or break of the Cavan season.

INDIANA

Win bonus for the spreads if ever there was one.