The world's best sportsman to return from injury?

Started by corn02, February 18, 2009, 03:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: Gnevin on February 18, 2009, 03:55:56 PM
Quote from: corn02 on February 18, 2009, 03:54:11 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on February 18, 2009, 03:52:28 PM
Quote from: corn02 on February 18, 2009, 03:36:37 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on February 18, 2009, 03:30:48 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 18, 2009, 03:26:34 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on February 18, 2009, 03:25:06 PM
Hardly the world best sport star ever or even still active.

I'm sure you'll tell us who is
Federer in my opinion but if want most consistent, Phil the Power is hard to beat.

Laughable that you would snigger at the mention of Tiger and then offer Federer and Taylor as replacements. All valid contenders, but golf is a sport where any group of 30 golfers can win the big ones and Tiger usually comes out on top.
When or where will is snigger at Tiger?

Not literally. But "hardly the best" would indicate you thought it was a ludicrous suggestion?
No ludicrous but not one I wouldn't agree with. I think their are a few above him but that's just me

Ah you see, your a Dub, I automatically take everything wrongly because of it.  ;)

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

corn02

Quote from: Minder on February 18, 2009, 03:58:32 PM
Slightly off on a tangent here but i read a piece by a Times journalist the other day that Woods was the most difficult (not in a bad way) & enjoyable interview he has ever had. The journalist said he prides himself on directing the interview to where he wants but Woods left him "black & blue" ! Will try and find the article.

Please do, would love to see that.

corn02

I think this could end the argument.

Considering the sport that golf is, how hard it is and the pure amount of players that can win an event compare to other sports, the fact that Tiger has won 29% (65 out of 222) of his professional tournaments is astonishing.

mouview

I agree; golf is notoriously difficult to master at any time. For a player to dominate the game as completely as he has is awesome.

On the other hand, best return by a sportsman from injury must go to Austrian skier Herman Maier;  suffered horrendous knee injuries in a motorcycle crash and nearly had his leg amputated by the doctors; yet he returned to a sport where strength in the knees and legs is at a premium and went on to win more downhill races.

Gnevin

Quote from: corn02 on February 18, 2009, 04:04:17 PM

Considering the sport that golf is, how hard it is and the pure amount of players that can win an event compare to other sports, the fact that Tiger has won 29% (65 out of 222) of his professional tournaments is astonishing.

What about Schumacher? 7  championships and left everyone for dust.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Gnevin on February 18, 2009, 04:15:44 PM

How much of it was the car and how much of it was him?
Serious question btw as I don't know too much about F1
You'll Never Walk Alone.

blewuporstuffed

i think any sports man that comes back from serious injury to play at the top level deserves great credit.takes a great determination and mental strength. they are a few  in our own sport i can think off

Brian mc guigan (twice)
Barry owens
martin mcgrath
conor gormley

as well as people like henrik larson

just the ones that come to mind at the min
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Gabriel_Hurl

He was always driving the best car - not to mention his team-mates being ordered to move aside and let him beat them

mouview

Sebastian Loeb could arguably be considered to be a better driver than Schumacher.

Tim Buzaglo

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 18, 2009, 04:22:31 PM
i think any sports man that comes back from serious injury to play at the top level deserves great credit.takes a great determination and mental strength. they are a few  in our own sport i can think off

Brian mc guigan (twice)
Barry owens
martin mcgrath
conor gormley

as well as people like henrik larson

just the ones that come to mind at the min

Great.  another attempt to hijack a thread and turn it into a debate on all things Tyrone.  Just what we all wanted  ::) ::) ::)
Will we ever see another one?

Gnevin

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 18, 2009, 04:21:45 PM

How much of it was the car and how much of it was him?
Serious question btw as I don't know too much about F1

Well Ferrari's dominance ended as soon as he left and some of his performances where unnatural
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

corn02

Yep, a lot came down to Schumacher;s brilliance, however, the fact that the car also played a massive role, I can't put him in the same bracket as the others mentioned.

Canalman

From a GAA view, both Colm O'Rourke/Pat Spillane did very well to overcome serious knee injuries at a time when they were career threatening afflictions.
While probably not a popular choice on this board, Brian Mullins suffered terribly after a car crash before coming back to win an AI in 1983.

Diego Marradona also did brilliantly to overcome his injuries meted out to him in Spain. Has to be him imho.