The world's best sportsman to return from injury?

Started by corn02, February 18, 2009, 03:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: carribbear on February 18, 2009, 07:18:03 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 18, 2009, 07:10:50 PM
If people are suggesting Henrik Larsson - whaqt about Djibril Cisse then?

I don't think Cisse has really been that good of a player, nowhere in the same bracket as Henrik before or after his injury. Great recovery though to get back playing twice.

Jamie Carragher then.

corn02

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 18, 2009, 10:01:14 PM
Poker's just based on luck, you might as well call bingo a sport.

Pler is partly luck, mostly skill.

corn02

You think fitness and stamina does not come into golf?

You are looking at it from our view point, which is walking around an 18-hole course.

A pro golfer would spend as much time in the gym as a Premiership player. An average non-tournamnet day for a golfer would probably include about 3 hours in the gym and about six hours practicing.

Read some of the autobiographies and come back to me and tell me there is not athleticism in it.

corn02

And just to keep it realistic, that is for the majority. There is the odd golfer who is so talented that they play their tournaments and drink the rest of the time - John Daly is the best example.

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit

ludermor

Quote from: corn02 on February 19, 2009, 09:59:03 AM

You are looking at it from our view point, which is walking around an 18-hole course.

A pro golfer would spend as much time in the gym as a Premiership player. An average non-tournamnet day for a golfer would probably include about 3 hours in the gym and about six hours practicing.

Read some of the autobiographies and come back to me and tell me there is not athleticism in it.

Just because some golfers go to the gym this wouldn't make it an athletic sport, for every Tiger Woods i could give you an Angel Cabrera

corn02

Quote from: ludermor on February 19, 2009, 10:05:15 AM

Just because some golfers go to the gym this wouldn't make it an athletic sport, for every Tiger Woods i could give you an Angel Cabrera

Wrong. As I say, there are exceptions to the rule. For every Ronaldo I give you Neville Southhall or Duncan Ferguson, or Jan Molby.

nrico2006

Schumacher would have as much claim to the title as Woods, as mentioned he won his first two titles in a Benetton and when he arrived at Ferrari they were not the top team.  

QuoteTiger Woods revolutionised a sport, it is better because of him and his attitude. He is the great sports man we are likely to ever see.

How did he revolutionise the sport of golf?

It would not be Larsson either - he did comeback from a serious injury but he was not and is not near the top footballer never mind sportsman.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Minder

I would be in sensational physical shape and after 18 holes on a tough course you would be ready for a wee nap.........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

corn02

ludermor

Quote from: corn02 on February 19, 2009, 10:10:04 AM

Wrong. As I say, there are exceptions to the rule. For every Ronaldo I give you Neville Southhall or Duncan Ferguson, or Jan Molby.
LOL
How can you possibly say that the vast majority of players spend 3 hours in the gym on a non tournament. Your making things up and presenting them as fact.

corn02

Quote from: ludermor on February 19, 2009, 10:43:30 AM

LOL
How can you possibly say that the vast majority of players spend 3 hours in the gym on a non tournament. Your making things up and presenting them as fact.

How can you possibly say that for every Tiger I give you a Cabrerra? If that is the case you are presenting as fact that the vast majority don't.

corn02

Quote from: ludermor on February 19, 2009, 10:43:30 AM

LOL

I'll put it another way, I imagine you think the vast majority of rugby/soccer players epnd most days in the gym?

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gnevin on February 18, 2009, 03:30:48 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 18, 2009, 03:26:34 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on February 18, 2009, 03:25:06 PM
Hardly the world best sport star ever or even still active.

I'm sure you'll tell us who is
Federer in my opinion but if want most consistent, Phil the Power is hard to beat.
An argument could have been made for fed a few years ago, currently he's not even the best in his own game.  Tiger takes the accolade easily imo.

ludermor

Cabrerra won the US Open one of the toughest tournaments to win. He doesn't exercise and likes cigars. You said the vast majority of players ( with some exceptions) exercise 3 hours on average when they are not in tournaments. I disagree with you and just because you read a few autobios doesn't change my opinion. In the top ten in the world at the minute you have Sergio Garcia, Phil Michelson who wouldnt be gym monkeys but these 2 alone is 20% of the current best players in the world ( not exceptions and i wuld hazard a guess that the lower you go in the ranking the lower the more lax players will be in this regard but im sure you will prove me wrong)
Why are you comparing golfers and footballers( even though all the payers you mention are from a different era and have retired with years!), why not compare them with dart players?