Cheaper Leccy from Bord Gáis

Started by RMDrive, February 18, 2009, 10:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMDrive

Bord Gáis enters electricity market
Wednesday, 18 February 2009 09:42

Bord Gáis has announced that it is entering the residential electricity market, with a guarantee to customers that its prices will be at least 10% lower than the ESB, for the next three years.

From midday, any ESB customer will be able to switch over and get their electricity from Bord Gáis by either phoning the company or going online.

It hopes to expand its customer base to more than 1m people in three years.

The double digit guarantee is due to remain in place, no matter what cuts the ESB introduces.

There will also be no penalty if a customer wants to switch back to the ESB.

Bord Gáis Chief Executive John Mullins said it would be straight-forward for ESB customers to switch to the company, and this would be open to all 1.8m registered households who use electricity.

The announcement amounts to a huge shake-up of the residential electricity market and according to Bord Gáis will result in immediate and substantial savings for customers.

Mr Mullins also said he believed that gas prices would go down considerably this year with prices more than 25% lower next December than they are today.

In a statement, the ESB said the residential market has been open to competition since February 2005 and it was open to all competitors to charge what they like.

It said it welcomed any new competition into the market.

However, the ESB said it was required to charge the rate set by the Commission for Energy Regulation and was not allowed to discount from that rate.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0218/bordgais.html

This can only be good news.

Eoghan Mag

When there's a gas leak don't they tell you not to switch on or off any electricity?!!!! ;)

Bud Wiser

The biggest single ESB Bill goes to Local Authorities/County Councils for public lighting, not to mention the cost of lighting up the Dail and heating the place for them.  Since all of this is paid for out of our taxes, since the country is trying to save money by cutting health and schools funding, and since all the ESB bills for public lighting are paid for by the government then they should be the very first to avail of the 14% cut.

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Hardy

I've been wondering how much we could save by turning off all public lighting after say midnight. Any idea how much the total local authority lighting bill is?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hardy on February 19, 2009, 08:18:20 PM
I've been wondering how much we could save by turning off all public lighting after say midnight. Any idea how much the total local authority lighting bill is?

Are you on the wind up?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Hardy

Actually, that's a better idea. Instead of buying their electricity from the national grid, the local authorities cold use wind-up generators. It would also create massive employment and shorten the dole queues, with squads of lads being employed to keep the jennies wound up, not to mention the employment in the wind-up generator factories. We just need to develop the wind-up technology.

(The switching-off idea is not original, though. Several UK local authorities do it, for one example).

pintsofguinness

I can't think of one reason why we shouldnt do that.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

You cant even think of public safety in the slightest?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on February 19, 2009, 09:03:54 PM
You cant even think of public safety in the slightest?
People can carry torches if they're worried about falling over.

We have to get rid of this nanny state.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 19, 2009, 09:02:22 PM

What about making it easier for muggers and rapists and the like commit crimes
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hardy on February 19, 2009, 09:00:44 PM

(The switching-off idea is not original, though. Several UK local authorities do it, for one example).

The best way to save money on public lighting is to fit each one with a solar panel and a battey that will store the energy it takes from the sunlight during the day and use it to power the light at night..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 19, 2009, 09:22:21 PM

I dont think so. 

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 19, 2009, 09:28:25 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 19, 2009, 09:22:21 PM

I dont think so. 

Explain.........
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

I think he thinks its harder to mug and rape in the dark. He may have a point.

Its easier to not get caught however, so from a muggers standpoint its double edged.

pintsofguinness

The chances of being attacked on a dark street is the same as being attacked on a street with lights.
Even if you kept on the lights in city centres what about the ones in and around housing estates? Why can't they go off?
Those that live in the country pay for their own outside lighting.