Ard Mhacha v Muineacháin - Athletic Grounds - 08/03/09

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 17, 2009, 06:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donelli

Quick response before i hit the leaba.

good win for monaghan. it didnt look like it would turn out that way half way through the 2nd half, but good resilience to overturn  3 point arrears.

thought mcardle, hughes, lennon, gollogy and ronaghan were our best today (picking the best form each line). though downey and mcbennet done well too.

thought the athletic grounds development would have been a bit biiger. Behind the goals they have built good terrcing but Ive seen bigger stands built with the agricultaral grants inicitive in farmyards!!.

Good work on the programme front from Armagh. Decent content at a good price €2. Monaghan take note!!

The shop exchange rate at 2:1 was arse. Drinks bottle was £1 or €2. Done without until i got a couple of pints in keegans afterwards.
Sort that exchange rate out.

pintsofguinness

QuoteNo we don't "all know" that. You think it because you've had a vendetta against, and obsession with, Ciaran McKeever for years now. He's our best defender by some distance and whatever small chance we have of challenging for honours would be almost non-existent if he wasn't available.

yaawwwn - sure he's a saint.  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mackers

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 08, 2009, 10:58:32 PM
QuoteNo we don't "all know" that. You think it because you've had a vendetta against, and obsession with, Ciaran McKeever for years now. He's our best defender by some distance and whatever small chance we have of challenging for honours would be almost non-existent if he wasn't available.

yaawwwn - sure he's an ogre  ::)
FFS get over it man!!
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

timmyot501

Good result for Monaghan today without being overly convincing throughout. I think alot of the team played well at different stages of the game. Darren Hughes had a great first half, McManus was mostly good with a few uncharacteristic errors compared to recent games but overall he was good again.  Midfield was ok but again drifted out of it from time to time. Woods was a constant threat in the first half especially and Downey showed well at different stages.  McQuaid and Ronaghan seemed to make the difference at seeing us home and Vinny did well when released from fullback.  Didn't really see the Tommy incident but I heard that he may have earned his yellow. The forwards did well enough without him and it is good to win a game like that without him.  

Overall the ref was very inconsistent. He gave Monaghan a few handy frees at times but then at other stages there were 2 or 3 frees earned but none given.  O'Rourke should have walked for kicking out, probably even a red, but only a tick. Hannratty (though poor) was getting plent of dragging and pulling but not much in return from Mr Doyle!!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: mackers on March 08, 2009, 11:09:53 PM

FFS get over it man!!

Get over what?

Got the line today, got the line against laois - is it unfair of me to say hes a liability?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

Quote from: donelli on March 08, 2009, 10:57:39 PM
thought the athletic grounds development would have been a bit biiger. Behind the goals they have built good terrcing but Ive seen bigger stands built with the agricultaral grants inicitive in farmyards!!.
Have to agree - it's a bit of a half-job. Why did they decide to only cover the back 4 or 5 steps on the terrace? Surely when they were sticking a roof on it, they could have covered it out to the grass?
The far side looks a bit poor as well, with the 2 sets of seats either side of the building.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 08, 2009, 11:17:24 PM
Have to agree - it's a bit of a half-job. Why did they decide to only cover the back 4 or 5 steps on the terrace? Surely when they were sticking a roof on it, they could have covered it out to the grass?
The far side looks a bit poor as well, with the 2 sets of seats either side of the building.

Far side isn't finished yet. They're going to extend the seated areas and incorporate the building. Agree with you about the roof though.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Schkite

The sooner we get JP back the better. Vinny is not a full-back, he plays much better out the field, in a position where he can run at the opposition and go on his driving runs, and ideally I'd like to see him at wing-back for the championship. Don't know how likely that is though as the half-back line is probably where we have the most options.

It's very encouraging that we now seem to have a good squad where we can bring on subs who can change a game, whereas in the past we've had to rely on the starting XV as we had nothing much to take off the bench.

mackers

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 08, 2009, 11:13:28 PM
Quote from: mackers on March 08, 2009, 11:09:53 PM

FFS get over it man!!

Get over what?

Got the line today, got the line against laois - is it unfair of me to say hes a liability?
I've said that he needs to cut out the reckless play in my previous posts, but he is also the best back we have by a street, you may not see that but you are in a minority of one! To stretch
it to him being a liability and to drop him makes no sense.

Maguire01

Quote from: Schkite on March 08, 2009, 11:22:15 PM
The sooner we get JP back the better. Vinny is not a full-back, he plays much better out the field, in a position where he can run at the opposition and go on his driving runs, and ideally I'd like to see him at wing-back for the championship. Don't know how likely that is though as the half-back line is probably where we have the most options.
Any work on when we can expect JP back? He's a big miss. Have to agree - i think Vinny was wasted today at full-back. He only started to click when he was moved out. As captain, i think he's better being out the field a bit as well.

Quote from: Schkite on March 08, 2009, 11:22:15 PM
It's very encouraging that we now seem to have a good squad where we can bring on subs who can change a game, whereas in the past we've had to rely on the starting XV as we had nothing much to take off the bench.
Again, agree 100%. Looking at the starting line-up and still having Ronaghan, McGuigan and McQuaid on the bench, as well as having just about all of the game without Tommy - our panel has come a long way - even since last year.

mackers

Think the roof could only come out that far due to planning issues, there is a row of houses immediately behind it which would've restricted the height they could build it to, the development is still a work in progress on the other side.

Schkite

No word yet on JP, I had heard he'd be out for most of the league but not sure on that. Hopefully he'll be grand for the Derry game but it'd be good to give him a game or two in the league at the same time.

Rufus T Firefly

it's a bit of a half-job. Why did they decide to only cover the back 4 or 5 steps on the terrace? Surely when they were sticking a roof on it, they could have covered it out to the grass?

It's based on the Gerry Arthurs Stand.   ;)

fan01

O'Rourke should have walked for kicking out, probably even a red, but only a tick.
if o'rourke should of walked, nobody must of seen the monaghan player kneeing o'rourke in the head.

Goats Do Shave

Rodgers kick outs - terrible! - No variation, down Lennon's throat every kick! Lavery keeps getting caught underneath the ball... his timing is brutal.

QuoteWoods will suit Martin I think
Roasted!

McKeever, although I don't think struck with that while kick, possibly deserved a red, because that was dangerous! - He needs to curb his nasty streak!

KOR was excellent again.

I thought the ref did pretty well, though what does Clarke have to go through before getting a free?

I didn't think Armagh would be as close at the end as they were (Although Monaghan kicked a number of wides). But considering the amount of players to come back in for Armagh in comparison to Monaghan, I think we have to be optimisitc!