Babhta 3 Tyrone V Galway Saturday 7th March 2009

Started by rrhf, February 16, 2009, 12:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

When you saw what Brian McGuigan got sent off for tonight it would make you worry about the new rules. Its tough on players when they're getting sent off for a challenge like that. Im not particularly against the new rules. I think they could work if we had decent refs but most of them seem to have no common sense and are too quick with the cards. They could have a major impact in the championship when some of the best players in the country get sent off for very little or slightly miss time one challenge. Im not convinced by them.

clarshack

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 07, 2009, 11:48:38 PM
When you saw what Brian McGuigan got sent off for tonight it would make you worry about the new rules. Its tough on players when they're getting sent off for a challenge like that. Im not particularly against the new rules. I think they could work if we had decent refs but most of them seem to have no common sense and are too quick with the cards. They could have a major impact in the championship when some of the best players in the country get sent off for very little or slightly miss time one challenge. Im not convinced by them.

was a bit of a joke yellow card alright

ONeill

Galway are in good shape right now. Sammon's biggest task is to somehow maintain that level at the very least for another 6 months. Meehan started the game and played the first half as thee form player in Ireland right now. Justin didn't know what way to turn.

Dire pitch, weather and for a lot of it performance. So many kick passes were intercepted or just way off. Twas fairly obvious that the team is about a month behind the likes of Galway in terms of preparation and fitness. It's hard to pick out many positives from that at all. Losing Gormley was a bit of a blow as he may have cutailed Joyce's impact (PJ was lucky his kick at a Tyrone player didn't connect) over the course of the game. Brian McGuigan has a few pounds to lose! McGinley played well in fits and starts but was culpable of some poor passes as was the ever-involved McCullagh. Of the new boys it was a bit hit and miss. McCarron was caught badly in possession and almost cost us a goal only for Devine's save. The Mulgrew connundrum worsens. It's really hard to see where he fits in or what role he has been given to do. A lot of the players didn't really get into the game although Tommy was becoming more influential in the second half. Was that Swift that got the late point? Quinn was so-so.

In saying that, with a poor to average performance, the game was in the balance at 8-8 and that might speak volumes for where Galway and Tyrone really are at. With Ricey, Jordan, Joe, O'Neill, Dooher, BMcGuigan and Gormley missing from the side that finished the game, things aren't too bleak. Mickey should avoid the sack for another week.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Redhandfan

Ok, the weather was shocking and the conditions were dire, but I was still very disappointed by Tyrone's performance tonight.  There really was no excuse for some of the terrible passing, reluctance to shoot at times, and lack of serious bite all over the field.  The number of times Tyrone players were easily dispossessed and robbed of the ball was also inexcusable.  I know there will be a line of thought that we should not read too much into this game, given the dreadful conditions, but I cannot help feeling slightly let down by that Tyrone display.  I thought Galway were by far the better team tonight and it is a mystery as to how they didn't win by a much more comfortable margin.

I did feel a bit sorry for the likes of McCarron in defence and Mulgrew in attack who were trying to stake a claim for a place in the team, only to be hampered by monsoon like conditions just before the throw-in.  Both struggled to make an impact and I suppose it would be harsh to judge them on tonight's display alone.  Just why, however, some of our more established players appeared to be showing a greater appetite in the Dr McKenna Cup than they are now for the league puzzles me.  On a night when Mickey Harte will have taken few positives from this performance, he will have at least been satisfied with the very sound defensive display of the much maligned Peter Donnelly.  Credit where credit is due....the Coalisland man proved to be an excellent replacement for the sin binned Conor Gormley at centre half back.

And speaking of sin binnings, I rather suspected on my way out of the ground that Mickey Harte would be a little less tolerant of the new rules after seeing two of his star men - Gormley and McGuigan - dismissed for none too serious challenges.  If this game, played in a very good spirit, can result in 3 or 4 yellow cards being issued, then God help us all come championship time if these new rules remain in place.  I felt referee Deegan went a bit OTT with the yellow cards and also did not take into consideration the conditions for many of his decisions tonight.

So, that's two home games so far for Tyrone in this season's NFL and two defeats.  I was in favour a few weeks ago of Tyrone playing the first round championship game against Armagh in Omagh.  Now, I am not so sure as Healy Park is fast becoming a happy hunting ground for opposing teams!

orangeman

Quote from: ONeill on March 07, 2009, 11:51:09 PM
Galway are in good shape right now. Sammon's biggest task is to somehow maintain that level at the very least for another 6 months. Meehan started the game and played the first half as thee form player in Ireland right now. Justin didn't know what way to turn.

Dire pitch, weather and for a lot of it performance. So many kick passes were intercepted or just way off. Twas fairly obvious that the team is about a month behind the likes of Galway in terms of preparation and fitness. It's hard to pick out many positives from that at all. Losing Gormley was a bit of a blow as he may have cutailed Joyce's impact (PJ was lucky his kick at a Tyrone player didn't connect) over the course of the game. Brian McGuigan has a few pounds to lose! McGinley played well in fits and starts but was culpable of some poor passes as was the ever-involved McCullagh. Of the new boys it was a bit hit and miss. McCarron was caught badly in possession and almost cost us a goal only for Devine's save. The Mulgrew connundrum worsens. It's really hard to see where he fits in or what role he has been given to do. A lot of the players didn't really get into the game although Tommy was becoming more influential in the second half. Was that Swift that got the late point? Quinn was so-so.

In saying that, with a poor to average performance, the game was in the balance at 8-8 and that might speak volumes for where Galway and Tyrone really are at. With Ricey, Jordan, Joe, O'Neill, Dooher, BMcGuigan and Gormley missing from the side that finished the game, things aren't too bleak. Mickey should aviod the sack for another week.

I didn't think he was in bad shape at all - but he's getting married next week so !!

mountainboii

Quote from: Redhandfan on March 07, 2009, 11:52:38 PM
Ok, the weather was shocking and the conditions were dire, but I was still very disappointed by Tyrone's performance tonight.  There really was no excuse for some of the terrible passing, reluctance to shoot at times, and lack of serious bite all over the field.  The number of times Tyrone players were easily dispossessed and robbed of the ball was also inexcusable.  I know there will be a line of thought that we should not read too much into this game, given the dreadful conditions, but I cannot help feeling slightly let down by that Tyrone display.  I thought Galway were by far the better team tonight and it is a mystery as to how they didn't win by a much more comfortable margin.

I did feel a bit sorry for the likes of McCarron in defence and Mulgrew in attack who were trying to stake a claim for a place in the team, only to be hampered by monsoon like conditions just before the throw-in.  Both struggled to make an impact and I suppose it would be harsh to judge them on tonight's display alone.  Just why, however, some of our more established players appeared to be showing a greater appetite in the Dr McKenna Cup than they are now for the league puzzles me.  On a night when Mickey Harte will have taken few positives from this performance, he will have at least been satisfied with the very sound defensive display of the much maligned Peter Donnelly.  Credit where credit is due....the Coalisland man proved to be an excellent replacement for the sin binned Conor Gormley at centre half back.

And speaking of sin binnings, I rather suspected on my way out of the ground that Mickey Harte would be a little less tolerant of the new rules after seeing two of his star men - Gormley and McGuigan - dismissed for none too serious challenges.  If this game, played in a very good spirit, can result in 3 or 4 yellow cards being issued, then God help us all come championship time if these new rules remain in place.  I felt referee Deegan went a bit OTT with the yellow cards and also did not take into consideration the conditions for many of his decisions tonight.

So, that's two home games so far for Tyrone in this season's NFL and two defeats.  I was in favour a few weeks ago of Tyrone playing the first round championship game against Armagh in Omagh.  Now, I am not so sure as Healy Park is fast becoming a happy hunting ground for opposing teams!

McGuigan's yellow was a joke alright, but Gormley's was very much deserved for a cynical late hit. He can have no complaints.

RedandGreenSniper

Whatever about the McGuigan yellow, there can be no disputing Gormley's. He went to block and then when the ball was gone, he drove the shoulder into the exposed Meehan. Cynical, late challenge that the threat of a yellow card will hopefully remove from the game. Justin McMahon could have went in the first half for a rugby type tackle on Meehan. Maybe Deegan allowed fo the rules in that case. Another Galway player, can't exactly remember, was also lucky to wait on. I think the new rules are ok so far.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

mountainboii

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 08, 2009, 12:03:34 AM

Whatever about the McGuigan yellow, there can be no disputing Gormley's. He went to block and then when the ball was gone, he drove the shoulder into the exposed Meehan. Cynical, late challenge that the threat of a yellow card will hopefully remove from the game. Justin McMahon could have went in the first half for a rugby type tackle on Meehan. Maybe Deegan allowed fo the rules in that case. Another Galway player, can't exactly remember, was also lucky to wait on. I think the new rules are ok so far.

I don't like the rules at all. It seems to me from the games I've seen that for every Gormley like tackle that they rightly penalise, they also result in two or three lads getting the line for harmless things like McGuigan. The punishment is way too harsh in most instances.

Redhandfan

Without wanting to come across as being overly negative, it should be pointed out that we have not created any worthwhile goal chances in our last two games.  That has to be a slight worry.  O'Neill lists a string of vastly experienced players who have still to come back into the team.  However, we often pride ourselves in Tyrone of having tremendous strength in depth and, even with so many regulars missing, we should be able to do a whole lot better than we did tonight.  I would expect to see Mickey making plenty more changes for the next game, although he may be reluctant to run with guys like Gareth Devlin and McAnulla etc if they are currently involved with the Tyrone Under 21s.

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 07, 2009, 11:37:38 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on March 07, 2009, 10:58:19 PM
Definitely played too many long hopeful balls into the forward line early in the first half but thought we smartened up the longer the game went on.  Should have been a lot more comfortable on the score board at HT but showed great resolve to kick the last 2 scores and eek out a good win in the end.  Bradshaw, Bergin, Conroy and Meehan the pick of the Galway lads.  Great clincher by PJ off his "standing" foot to seal the win!

I'd agree that Galway played the conditions better as the game wore on, most people would have put the money on Tyrone to adapt better to the conditions but I thought we performed best of the two teams in the appalling weather.

Tyrone were missing a lot of their top players and it showed, Galway were the better team for large parts of the game and should really have been much further ahead at half time. When the scores got level at 8 points each in the second half it was set up for the home team to grind it out but Galway came well again and should have won by a few more than the 2 points. Bergin, Bradshaw and Conroy were excellent, with Meehan also very good in the first half bar the missed free although he was quieter after the break.

A great two points to pick up on the road and I think after tonight we can look ahead to perhaps trying to get to the league final now, obviously nothing to get carried away about at this time of year but beating the all Ireland champs in their own backyard definitely shows we are moving in the right direction.

Kudos to the hardcore supporters who went out in that weather tonight to attend the match, brutal conditions.

Yes, I meant to mention earlier that there was a good sprinkling of Galway supporters in Omagh tonight.  Fair play to them for making the long trip on a very wet and miserable Saturday night.  The Galway folk appeared to be a very civil crowd as well, so much more pleasant and sporting than some of those fecking Kerry animals who were present at Healy Park last month.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: ONeill on March 07, 2009, 11:51:09 PM

In saying that, with a poor to average performance, the game was in the balance at 8-8 and that might speak volumes for where Galway and Tyrone really are at. With Ricey, Jordan, Joe, O'Neill, Dooher, BMcGuigan and Gormley missing from the side that finished the game, things aren't too bleak. Mickey should avoid the sack for another week.

I was always a fan of McCullaghs but I thnk in games like this he can really take too much out of the ball (one or two dummys or solo's too many) and give away possesion too easily. He's a very tidy footballer with great skill but I'm not convinced how big an impact he would have in a tight championship game v someone like Kerry. We didnt get the chance to find out last year due to injury. You cant fault his effort though and maybe some of the other players could learn to show for the ball as often as he does. Not many of our forwards tonight worked as hard of the ball as McCullagh. He does lack pace though which means he struggles to get away from his marker at county level.

orangeman

Brian McGuigan made his return to intercounty duty for the first time since last year's All-Ireland final in the 45th minute but he was quickly yellow carded for a coat-hanger tackle on an opponent.

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte said Saturday's game had caused him to change his mind about the controversial new rules.

"I was prepared to have an open mind about the new rules but I am much more dubious about them after tonight," Harte told BBC Sport.

"Our yellow cards were very harsh - particularly given the dreadful conditions tonight."

GalwayBayBoy

Not sure what to think after this evening. We're been spoken off as possible AI contenders far too early IMO. I think we're a bit short of that level yet although at least we seem to be heading in the right direction. Keep tipping along and see what happens sure. We are rarely short of good footballers in Galway but you need a certain chemistry to come together for a successful side. We may need a couple more pieces of the jigsaw yet.

Tyrone won't be half as obliging come August but winning tight games is not a bad habit to pick up I suppose.

Canalman

Watched the game on Setanta and have to say as a neutral that it was a joy to watch the fluid/skilfull way Galway played last night. They were so comfortable on the ball.
However as posted elsewhere, Galway have possibly showed their cards too early in the season.

Tyrone Dreamer

Despite constant criticism from some of Peter Donnelly I thought he did ok last night when he came on. I've said before I think his only chance of making it at county level is at centre half back. He's a good reader of the game and can pass the ball well. Having said that I wouldn't be inlcuding him on the 1st 15 but think people can be harsh on him.

Big Mickey

Yes, I meant to mention earlier that there was a good sprinkling of Galway supporters in Omagh tonight.  Fair play to them for making the long trip on a very wet and miserable Saturday night.  The Galway folk appeared to be a very civil crowd as well, so much more pleasant and sporting than some of those fecking Kerry animals who were present at Healy Park last month.
[/quote]

Would these be the same fans that shouted abuse and jeered the opposition team who are the most successful county in GAA history they were leaving the pitch, but at the same time cheering on their own team and players who were acting the tramps (cough), starting rows and generally letting themselves down just because they got beat by a better team.....no wait :P