GAA Open Door to Heineken Semi at Croker

Started by screenexile, February 15, 2009, 09:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quotehttp://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2009/0214/heinekencup.html

GAA Open Door to Heineken Semi at Croker

The Central Council of the GAA has agreed to a request to allow a potential Munster v Leinster Heineken Cup semi-final to be played in Croke Park.

The decision was reached at a meeting of the council in Thurles this afternoon.

Both sides would need to win their respective quarter-finals for the clash of the top two provinces to come about on the weekend of 2/3 May. Munster are to face Welsh side the Ospreys, while Leinster have Harlequins to overcome if they are to reach the last four of European rugby's top club competition.

The request was made by the IRFU, and the decision also allows for a potential Munster v Harlequins clash to take place at GAA Headquarters.

Both the IRFU and the ERC have welcomed the decision and expressed their gratitude to the GAA.

Philip Browne, IRFU chief executive said: 'I would like to thank GAA President Nicky Brennan and the GAA Central Council for today's decision as it allows us to work towards confirming the venues for the semi-finals of the Heineken Cup.

'The prospect of either Munster playing in the stadium or the possibility of another all-Ireland semi-final between Munster and Leinster is an exciting one for Irish rugby fans.'

ERC chairman Jean-Pierre Lux was similarly pleased by the development.

'On behalf of the Board of ERC, I would like to thank GAA President Nicky Brennan and the wider association for making their magnificent stadium available to the Heineken Cup for these potential semi-final fixtures,' he said.

'Should a semi-final in Ireland arise, Croke Park would certainly serve as a fantastic backdrop for this showpiece European semi-final,' Lux added.

The Central Council of the GAA has agreed to a request to allow a potential Munster v Leinster Heineken Cup semi-final to be played in Croke Park.

The decision was reached at a meeting of the council in Thurles this afternoon.

Both sides would need to win their respective quarter-finals for the clash of the top two provinces to come about on the weekend of 2/3 May. Munster are to face Welsh side the Ospreys, while Leinster have Harlequins to overcome if they are to reach the last four of European rugby's top club competition.

The request was made by the IRFU, and the decision also allows for a potential Munster v Harlequins clash to take place at GAA Headquarters.

Both the IRFU and the ERC have welcomed the decision and expressed their gratitude to the GAA.

Philip Browne, IRFU chief executive said: 'I would like to thank GAA President Nicky Brennan and the GAA Central Council for today's decision as it allows us to work towards confirming the venues for the semi-finals of the Heineken Cup.

'The prospect of either Munster playing in the stadium or the possibility of another all-Ireland semi-final between Munster and Leinster is an exciting one for Irish rugby fans.'

ERC chairman Jean-Pierre Lux was similarly pleased by the development.

'On behalf of the Board of ERC, I would like to thank GAA President Nicky Brennan and the wider association for making their magnificent stadium available to the Heineken Cup for these potential semi-final fixtures,' he said.

'Should a semi-final in Ireland arise, Croke Park would certainly serve as a fantastic backdrop for this showpiece European semi-final,' Lux added.

What do people reckon? I think it's fair enough that should it happen the match should be in Ireland in the best available staium. It would be a fantastic occasion probably better than the one in Lansdowne a few years ago. Would hope for a Leinster victory over the turnips cos I'm sick listening to them!

An Fear Rua

if its an Irish affair then ok, the soul has been sold, and it will mean that "our(as in Irish)" people are being done a favour.......
Its Grim up North

Gnevin

I've no objections too it . Croker should be kept open going forward.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

comethekingdom

I think it will be a fantastic occasion if it happens! A lot of die hard 'GAA says NO' persons should take the blinkers off and realize that getting 1.4million euros to benefit the organisation is an absolute no brainer! At the end of the day whats the difference as to where the money comes from - surely my contributions form going to GAA matches all year are no better than the revenue generated by Munster, Leinster, Irish Rugby or Irish soccer fans?

David McKeown

Im not totally in favour of this this for a number of the same reasons I was against the original opening and do feel that there a number of very real concerns that are brushed aside within the association as being simply bigoted when they are not.  That said if it comes that Munster will meet Leinster then I would imagine that I'll be at the game none the less.  As I asked on a previous thread about this.  Does anyone have the exact wording of the motion that was passed to open Croke Park in the first place?  I seem to remember it being restricted to international games although I might be wrong.  Id be worried generally (in regards interpretation of other rules) if it did and central council once again twisted to allow for this game to be played
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Tyrone Dreamer

This was quite an important decision which seemed to be pushed through central council with little fuss. I'm not sure what the wording of the original motion was but it was certainly sold as being for international games so this is quite a change in poilcy. Games like this benefit  the gaa financially but the irfu also will stand to benefit financially too.

They will also get huge marketing/advertising from the game. Considering the gaa is still the number one sport in Ireland I'm not sure if it does us any good to be giving other sports opportunites like this. I am confident in our own games but I also know kids are easily sold by hype by the media and this will help create that in a big way for rugby. People are very keen to talk about the recession at the minute. An occasion like this will bring people to a rugby match and will be expensive. Who's to say the cost won't prevent many families from being able to attend some championship matches. Alllowing rugby into Croke Park certainly does nothing to promote our games and instead helps bring a bit of glamour for the IRFU.

Tankie

I have been away for the weekend and just got back but this is great news! Roll on May Bank Holiday Weekend (but i have a feeling Leinster could blow this Q/F!)
Grand Slam Saturday!

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Hardy

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Tyrone Dreamer

Croker turn down big fight invite
17 February 2009

Croke Park will not be staging a Ricky Hatton world boxing title fight in May, it has been confirmed.

Reports suggested that Hatton would be taking centre stage in Croker in May but, instead, the GAA has decided to accomodate a potential Munster Heineken Cup semi-final.

"We've now decided to concentrate on the Munster game, provided they win their quarter-final and schedule everything around that," Croke Park Stadium Director Peter McKenna confirmed.

"The work on the pitch will still go ahead, but we've now put it back until after the first weekend in May.

"We need about four weeks for what is planned and it will be ready in time for Dublin and Meath's Leinster quarter-final on June 7th."

Its good to know we have our prioirities right!

Also if the Hatton fight was realistic surely it would have made more sense to have it in the stadium as boxing isnt in direct competition with the gaa. If this was an option it certainly defeats the financial arguement. Although I'd say to be fair a Hatton fight was unlikely.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: David McKeown on February 15, 2009, 10:39:44 PM
Im not totally in favour of this this for a number of the same reasons I was against the original opening and do feel that there a number of very real concerns that are brushed aside within the association as being simply bigoted when they are not.  That said if it comes that Munster will meet Leinster then I would imagine that I'll be at the game none the less.  As I asked on a previous thread about this.  Does anyone have the exact wording of the motion that was passed to open Croke Park in the first place?  I seem to remember it being restricted to international games although I might be wrong.  Id be worried generally (in regards interpretation of other rules) if it did and central council once again twisted to allow for this game to be played

My recollection is that Congress deferred the decision to Central Council on what games should be accomodated during the temporary relaxation of the rule. Central council then decided that Croke park would be limited to competitive international initially, which was then changed to include friendlies and now extended again to include this extra match.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Maguire01

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 15, 2009, 10:48:59 PM
Alllowing rugby into Croke Park certainly does nothing to promote our games and instead helps bring a bit of glamour for the IRFU.
But you can't be certain. Maybe a big chunk of the money goes back into the GAA's Marketing Dept, or is used to fund other promotion initiatives.

Maguire01

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 17, 2009, 01:41:53 PM
Its good to know we have our prioirities right!
The only thing they would appear to be shifting is maintenance work. Unless it effects GAA games that would otherwise have been played in Croke Park, there's no real issue surely?