Great sporting occasions/traditions

Started by Chrisowc, February 14, 2009, 01:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: Chrisowc on February 18, 2009, 07:54:47 AM
Quote from: stephenite on February 18, 2009, 04:01:02 AM
Quote from: fred the red on February 17, 2009, 09:34:00 PM
Quote from: Canalman on February 15, 2009, 06:18:08 PM

On the other hand the best Soccer atmosphere I ever experienced was the 1998 WC playoff 2nd leg in the MCG.....Oz v Iran.

Who was the qualifier against for the 2006 world cup, was it Uruguay?

Yep - penalty shoot out, wasn't at it but the atmosphere was supposed to be amazing

What would the make up of Australian soccer fans be?  Would they be 'true blue Aussies' or would they be Greek/Italian/Croat etc immigrants?

Bit of both to be honest Chris - been to a few games and whilst the population of the immigrant communities you mentioned would be soccer nuts, there is a big interest amongst the general population, probably a lot to do with the like of Kewell and Tim Cahill, Lucan Neill and the others that have made it in the premiership at one stage or other in their careers.
The thing about the Greeks, Serbs, Croats, and Italians - the mother land will always come first, even if they're 3rd or 4th generation and have never been. They'll go to the games in Oz and support the team, but the World Cup second round game against Italy was an interesting experience in where the loyalties really lay.

There are of course the traditional true blue Aussie males, they think soccer was invented by homosexuals and Asians and needs to be avoided at all costs.

longball

Tatyo Cheese and Onion, a mars and a bottle of Coke at Clones!
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Yes I Would

T Fearon

In the following order and events I have witnessed,Champions League match at Celtic Park (particularly against Man Ure), any Celtic V Huns game (and I've seen them at Celtic Park, Ibrox and Hampden). All Ireland Football and Hurling Finals in Croke Park, The Dubs in a big Championship game at Croker, and Armagh on a good sunny summer's day in Clones

C_Berg_316

Been at the Bledisloe Cup in the MCG in Melbourne - thought it was very good - seeing the Haka was very impressiive - also enojyed the Melbourne Cup Horse Racing Festival.

At the end of the day but its hard to beat an AI Final when your own county playing.

Really want to get to a Munster Hurling Final as well - the atmosphere looks unreal - would also like to get to a Munster game at Thomond Park
thats the crack she said with one leg up above on the table

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: T Fearon on February 18, 2009, 09:29:52 AM
In the following order and events I have witnessed,Champions League match at Celtic Park (particularly against Man Ure), any Celtic V Huns game (and I've seen them at Celtic Park,  and Hampden). All Ireland Football and Hurling Finals in Croke Park.

What he said.
Tbc....

blewuporstuffed

been to a few soccer matches,(PL &SPL) but the atmosphere has never really impressed me, maybe the big games or european nights would be different.
have to say the ozzies are great at organising big sporting ocassions, was at melbourne cup, australian open, australian grand prix, bledisloe cup,& AFL semi final.
All superbly organsised and great days, but never realy was taken by the atmosphere at any of them.dont seem to have the passion of croker in full flow, but this is probably down to how much your bothered about the result!!

biased i know, but croke park was really rockin for the first dublin game 2005 & armagh games in 03 & 05

Cheltenham is hard to beat too, particularly paddys day, great roar for an irish horse coming up cheltenham hill
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Norf Tyrone

I have been to a few sporting occasions, but nothing comes close to the claustrophopic atmosphere of Croke Park for that Tyrone, and Armagh All Ireland semi final. I think there are few things that come close to going to watch your club on a lovely summer's Sunday. Even if it's a mid table Junior clash.

Things I'd like to do;

* Watch the climbers in the Alps on the Tour de France.
* See my club in a Championship final.
* Attend an ashes test match, with the sun shining. Preferance to Lords, or the MCG.
* Visit the San Siro for a Milan derby.
* Watch Ireland in the World Cup (Cricket or Soccer).
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

stephenite

There is probably only a few of us on here that have had the experience (and one on here that has played) but experiencing your club winning an All Ireland in Croke Park was the pinnacle for me - it will never be topped.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 14, 2009, 11:31:06 AM
Quote from: Minder on February 14, 2009, 09:50:34 AM
Lapellos, Dublin on All Ireland Hurling weekend. . . . .

The Garden of Eden on O'Connell bridge is better

I see your a fan of the larger woman LL...  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

corn02

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 18, 2009, 11:38:52 AM
I have been to a few sporting occasions, but nothing comes close to the claustrophopic atmosphere of Croke Park for that Tyrone, and Armagh All Ireland semi final.

What he said, I have never heard noise like it at a sporting occassion. Was just not a bit above average, it was scarily loud.

John O'Shea, Given and Clinton Morrision were there, met them outside before. Always wondered what they thought of it.

johnneycool

Munster hurling final, especially the ones in Thurles, some atmosphere in liberty square then over the railway lines to the stadium, can't be beat.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: johnneycool on February 18, 2009, 04:19:17 PM
Munster hurling final, especially the ones in Thurles, some atmosphere in liberty square then over the railway lines to the stadium, can't be beat.

Would agree its up there with the best of them,great atmosphere at the games
You'll Never Walk Alone.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: stephenite on February 18, 2009, 11:57:01 AM
There is probably only a few of us on here that have had the experience (and one on here that has played) but experiencing your club winning an All Ireland in Croke Park was the pinnacle for me - it will never be topped.

No doubt about it.  Goose bump inducing to this day.  There wer over 45,000 the year we beat you boys and the roar from the crowd running onto the field was something special.

The AI final of 2002 was great, I have been to Abfield a few times and it was unreal.  On the flipside, I was at an end of season International game in Croke Park against Slovenia I think and it was dreadful. 

I want to do a few things, stand on the 18th at a Major for the final hole for a great player(anyone) to win a tournnament, go to the Superbowl, spend a week in Monaco or San Marino for the Grand Prix and watch Liverpool win the CL.

Puckoon

I quite enjoyed the atmosphere at Lansdowne Road for the Rugby matches at the start of this decade. I remember we were beating the all blacks at half time around 2001 and the noise in the stand (it felt like it was swaying) as the entire ground sang the fields of athenry was a special moment.

Then lomu ran over the top of girvan dempsy and we lost.