13 YEAR OLD BECOMES DAD

Started by The Real Laoislad, February 13, 2009, 03:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

13 YEAR OLD BECOMES DAD

"I thought it would be good to have a baby"
"I didn't think about how we could afford it"
"I thought I was going to get in trouble"

A 13-year-old boy has become a father in Britain.

Alfie Patten was present four days ago when his girlfriend Chantelle Steadman, 15, gave birth to Maisie Roxanne in Eastbourne Hospital, East Sussex,

"I thought it would be good to have a baby," Alfie said

"I didn't think about how we would afford it. I don't really get pocket money. My dad sometimes gives me £10."

Alfie, who lives with with his mum, admitted he did not know how much nappies cost: "I think it's a lot."

Alfie, who was 12 when Maisie was conceived, and Chantelle decided not to have an abortion.

They kept the pregnancy secret until at 18 weeks Chantelle's mum noticed the weight gain.

"When my mum found out, I thought I was going to get in trouble," Alfie said.

"We wanted to have the baby but were worried how people would react

"I didn't know what it would be like to be a dad. I will be good, though, and care for it."

Alfie's father Dennis, who is separated from the family, said his son did not seem to appreciate what he had got himself into but at least he had taken responsible attitude.

Alfie had been present at the birth and has been keen to cuddle and hold his child.

"He could have shrugged his shoulders and sat at home on his Playstation. But he has been at the hospital every day," Mr Patten said.

Chantelle defends herself and Alfie from accusations they are being irresponsible.

"We know we made a mistake but I wouldn't change it now," Chantelle says.

"We will be good loving parents.

"I have started a church course and I am going to do work experience helping other young mums.

"I'll be a great mum and Alfie will be a great dad."

Chantelle and Maisie were released from hospital yesterday and will be living with her family who are supported by welfare payments.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

carribbear

That film 'Juno' has a lot to answer for!

Seriously, this is what it's going to, if there weren't welfare payments to support this "activity" then maybe you'd see less of it.

Double Cross

Read this on another forum earlier, shocking. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2233878.ece

stpauls

A Quinn Martin Production

Holyful F**k.

Are they sure he's 13...he looks about 8...as for Chantelle ::)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

bingobus

Good to see not all young ones aren't addicted to Playstations and Xbox's and are getting some exercise  ;)  ;)

Minder

Im sure the father, mother and child will have a long, enduring realtionship............
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

The wee lad was asked if he would be able to look after the child financially, his reply was "what's financially mean?".  :-\
Tbc....

AZOffaly

Quote from: carribbear on February 13, 2009, 03:09:17 PM

Seriously, this is what it's going to, if there weren't welfare payments to support this "activity" then maybe you'd see less of it.

To be honest I doubt if a 13 year old boy and a 15 year old girl are thinking much about welfare payments. I think it's just a sad reality that the age of innocence for youngsters is getting shorter and shorter. Very sad I think.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2009, 03:53:27 PM

To be honest I doubt if a 13 year old boy and a 15 year old girl are thinking much about welfare payments. I think it's just a sad reality that the age of innocence for youngsters is getting shorter and shorter. Very sad I think.

Worse then that, the fella was only 12 when they conceived!
Tbc....

Zapatista

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on February 13, 2009, 03:49:52 PM
The wee lad was asked if he would be able to look after the child financially, his reply was "what's financially mean?".  :-\

Did it say that in the Sun? Is that the same paper which has no problem publishing 17 year old girls in the nude?

SidelineKick

Couldnt agree more with you. Its a bit depressing.  I'm dreading the kind of childhood my children will have if I have any.  I can't see it being anywhere near as enjoyable as ny own. Hopefully I'm wrong.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

thebigfella

Come on now sure he wouldn't have been old enough to see it when he done the business :)  Plus I know 30 year old men getting less riding than that wee lad :D

Sure we may as well turn this thread into who we blame for this atrocity - tv, movies, computer games, government, the banks, Osama Bin Laden .....

carribbear

I think you're right about this couple, they weren't thinking down the line at all. In the states there were tales of pacts between friends to get pregnant at the same time. Now I won't say that film was totally to blame but it did make being a pregnant teen cool to a lot of impressionable young ladies.

I was more talking about older (couldn't be any younger) teens and even adults who cant afford to have kids yet churn them out and let the state worry about them. Accidents will happen but there seems to be a lot of carelessness involved.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Zapatista on February 13, 2009, 04:03:46 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on February 13, 2009, 03:49:52 PM

Did it say that in the Sun? Is that the same paper which has no problem publishing 17 year old girls in the nude?

Heard it reported on the radio, couldn't tell you what age the Suns page 3 stunnas are, wouldn't wipe my arse with it.
Tbc....