Whats the worst sporting injury you've had

Started by illdecide, February 13, 2009, 02:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Not going to list them all out but like a few here, borken collar bone. Of course, the physio (i.e. lad with the water bottles) diagnosed its as a pulled muscle and told me to play on. I last another 5 mins before I decided I wanted a 2nd opinion.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

The Iceman

ha
Nose broken eleven times (but does it count after the first time?)
Dislocated thumb
Torn tendon in my knee
Broken both ankles
Broken scaphoid bone in my right hand
Cracked breast bone
Cracked ribs
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

brokencrossbar1

Christ, I have been lucky.  I just wonder are some people more predisposed to getting injured than others.  Also people's perception of "injured" may also vary.  I don't count things like twisted ankles/knees/dead legs as injuries unless they put me out for more than a few games. What do others think?

passedit

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 13, 2009, 06:46:31 PM
Christ, I have been lucky.  I just wonder are some people more predisposed to getting injured than others.  Also people's perception of "injured" may also vary.  I don't count things like twisted ankles/knees/dead legs as injuries unless they put me out for more than a few games. What do others think?

If you wouldn't miss a championship game for it it's not an injury.

On the other hand BC if one of the 'few games' you miss is a championship game then it's a 'bone fide' injury.

Don't Panic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: passedit on February 13, 2009, 06:49:57 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 13, 2009, 06:46:31 PM

If you wouldn't miss a championship game for it it's not an injury.

On the other hand BC if one of the 'few games' you miss is a championship game then it's a 'bone fide' injury.

I think I only missed one championship game through injury.  I missed others but that's another story.  Have you the boots on the nail yet passedit or are ye still giving it a lash?

passedit

QuoteI think I only missed one championship game through injury.  I missed others but that's another story.  Have you the boots on the nail yet passedit or are ye still giving it a lash?

Funny enough the injuries are starting to merge in to one at this stage BC, however the fact that this year will be my thirtieth playing adult football and i'll be playing in the same league as the team i made my debut with then means i'll probably hang in there for another year. Haven't broken to the missus yet though as I told her I'd finished when i lost the feeling in my left arm for a week or two at the back end of last season.
Don't Panic

ccosgrave

Quote from: thejuice on February 13, 2009, 05:50:05 PM
Not going to list them all out but like a few here, borken collar bone. Of course, the physio (i.e. lad with the water bottles) diagnosed its as a pulled muscle and told me to play on. I last another 5 mins before I decided I wanted a 2nd opinion.

Haha, yeah, something similar happened to me when I broke my right collar bone while playing rugby. I was playing number eight (guy at the back of the scrum) at the time and, at the next scrum, I told the captain who was playing left flanker (outside left of the scrum) that I was injured. He just said "Ah, you'll be alright", and insisted that I switch with him, so I had to enter into the scrum on the side of my broken collar bone.

adevvabr

Torn medial collateral ligament
Torn anterior cruciate ligament...twice
All in my right knee and have only turned 22!!

mylestheslasher

A lobotomy
Triple by-pass
Foot rot
Amputation of Arms
crotch rot
constipation
dislocated finger

Bord na Mona man

Smashed my tibia and fibula and have a metal rod in the tibia.
A couple of broken fingers and teeth.
Never had any problems with muscle tears or pulls.

blewuporstuffed

a long list of stuff, broken fingers/ribs/cheek bone, numerous stitches,knee cartiledge surgery, several hammy tears and dead legs and a couple of concussions,and put both my shoulder and elbow out but def the worst was dislocated both thumbs and got two pins in one of them.very painful and could do bugger all for months when in cast after the op.
reading through the posts the thumbs seem to be a common one
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Shamrock Shore

Lost my footballing ability when puberty hit.

Never recovered.

Even when we had only 15 I was still a sub  :-\

Have a county minor medal as last sub tho from 1984

the green man

DoYerJob Linesman

For gods sake Green Man, if yer under 40 you should be on the bench for Slaugtneil.  Sure they had 25 subs for the county final.

:-*
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

RedandGreenSniper

I was 22 before I had any sort of injury at all and they haven't stopped since ???

Had to have an op to graft bone onto my leg from my hip, very nice

For the past three years I've had regular groin injuries, with 2007 being the only time I had a bit of a break from them. My doc is sending me to an orthpaedic specalist to get it sorted cos its wrecking my head :-[

Also managed to get seven stiches at top of my forehead after a nice collision with a goalpost
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year