Lions 2009 thread

Started by Hound, February 12, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Owenbeg on April 21, 2009, 01:53:17 PM
Test team- Byrne, bowe, BOD, Roberts, William's, ROG, Phillips, Heaslip, Wallace, William's, Wyn- Jones, POC, Murray, Flannery, Jenkins
I'd be surprised if ROG is starting, imo both welsh lads are better anyway.

Owenbeg

Thought Tom Croft from Leicester, watched him a few times on ITV4, really stands out- can play lock or in the back row, he's a s fast as a winger as well.. Are their any other kicker's- saw halfpenny kick a few, flutey used to kick for London Irish as well and think Kearney has done some kicking but none regular kickers- surley you want, 3/4 world class kickers cos you aint goin to score that many tries against SA.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 21, 2009, 01:53:29 PM
2 fly halves - one of them is O'Gara!!!

I thought Henson might have got a call with him being versatile...

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

The Subbie

Quote from: Declan on April 21, 2009, 01:47:48 PM
Lions 37-man squad

Backs: Lee Byrne, Rob Kearney, Shane Williams, Leigh Halfpenny, Ugo Monye, Luke Fitzgerald, Tommy Bowe, Tom Shanklin, Jamie Roberts, Brian O'Driscoll, Keith Earls, Riki Flutey, Ronan O'Gara, Stephen Jones, Mike Phillips, Harry Ellis, Tomas O'Leary.

Forwards: Jamie Heaslip, Andy Powell, David Wallace, Stephen Ferris, Alan Quinlan, Joe Worsley, Martyn Williams, Alun Wyn-Jones, Paul O'Connell (capt), Donncha O'Callaghan, Simon Shaw, Nathan Hines, Gethin Jenkins, Adam Jones, Andrew Sheridan, Phil Vickery, Euan Murray, Jerry Flannery, Lee Mears, Matthew Rees.

I can't wait till i hear what that jumped up S Dublin pr1ck Neil Francis has to say about this on the last word ;D ;D he has lead a one man crusade against Bowe with his henchman George recently steping aside and admitting his errors re pace and ability of Bowe.

Francis always struck me as someone who is really bitter that he missed the pro rugby era

Anyway hopefully the Irish and other islands Lions do well  ;D ;D

Hound

Very surprised that Earls got picked ahead of Armitage and Quinlan ahead of Croft, but good luck to them!

Canalman

Would have thought that when England won the WC some years ago that this concept of the Lions would be reduntant. Why oh why do 4 countries need to pool their players to play another country in a series of games? May have been some justification years ago when a long boat trip was needed, but not now imo.

Afaik, Sth Africa have been beaten in the last few years by England, Ireland and France. (am open to correction on this though).

Also, bringing a barrister along is just silly.

Tankie

The squad is great news from an Irish point of view, 14 players and the team captain is great stuff.
Grand Slam Saturday!

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Canalman on April 21, 2009, 02:11:37 PM
Would have thought that when England won the WC some years ago that this concept of the Lions would be reduntant. Why oh why do 4 countries need to pool their players to play another country in a series of games? May have been some justification years ago when a long boat trip was needed, but not now imo.

Afaik, Sth Africa have been beaten in the last few years by England, Ireland and France. (am open to correction on this though).

Have to agree to an extent Canalman, I like rugby and follow the international scene, but could take or leave the Lions.  Wouldn't worry me in the slightest if they were hammered in (or won) all 3 tests.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

The GAA

Can't believe Quinlan is in. doesn't usually pay toquestion the geech though.

speculation that the 36 was increased to 37 to accomdate shane williams.

i'm surprised that ROG was included.

correct call on the captaincy i'd say.

my stab at the xv:

Byrne, Kearney, BOD, Flutey, Monye, Jones, Phillips, vickery, flannery, Jones, POC, Shaw, Ferris, Williams, Powell.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: The GAA on April 21, 2009, 02:17:53 PM

my stab at the xv:

Byrne, Kearney, BOD, Flutey, Monye, Jones, Phillips, vickery, flannery, Jones, POC, Shaw, Ferris, Williams, Powell.

Would have have Heaslip in ahead of Powell there and Wallace ahead of Williams
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

The GAA

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on April 21, 2009, 02:16:42 PM

Have to agree to an extent Canalman, I like rugby and follow the international scene, but could take or leave the Lions.  Wouldn't worry me in the slightest if they were hammered in (or won) all 3 tests.

It's great drama. if you don't dig it fair enough but i love the old tour concept and watching the test team develop over the weeks. the midweek games are great entertainment. i also find the coaching end of things and the attempts to blend players from different nations and mould a team fascinatng.

The GAA

Quote from: whiskeysteve on April 21, 2009, 02:19:58 PM
Quote from: The GAA on April 21, 2009, 02:17:53 PM

my stab at the xv:

Would have have Heaslip in ahead of Powell there and Wallace ahead of Williams

At number 8? surely wallace is competing with williams

screenexile

It's more than that the Lions is a great occasion and a fantastic sporting spectacle. Yes the last tour was pure shite but the South Africans are current World Champions and they will be going all out to win it.

It's a huge challenge to bring a team together in the space of 8 weeks against a great side halfway around the world and see if they can achieve glory. Word from South Africa is that they are seeing this current Lions tour as bigger than the World Cup they held. They are an extremely proud Rugby nation and they are still hurting from that defeat 12 years ago.

If you can get a copy of "Living With Lions" the documetary from the 1997 Tour when the Lions beat South Africa you should. Apart from the fact it is actually a very entertaining and well filmed Documentary it shows how important the Lions is viewed by players and fans of Rugby alike.

I am really looking forward to this tour and I would hope to someday make the trip for a tour and spend a few months following the Tour as I would say it would be an amazing experience. Hard to know if the Lions will win or not. At the minute you would have to say SA are favourites but it'll be much easier judged after a few games. Roll on May 30th!

thebandit

I don't think Flutey should have been picked - plastic Lion.

I'm surprised by only 2 out halves, no Peel/Armitage/Croft/Cipriani/Ryan Jones.