Elite players down second string team

Started by longrunsthefox, February 11, 2009, 10:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

2009 Cork panel snubbed by GPA
11 February 2009

GPA chief executive Dessie Farrell has told members of Gerald McCarthy's 2009 Cork hurling squad that they are not welcome to join the players' body.

Farrell stressed that members of the makeshift panel would not be allowed to join until such time as the ongoing dispute on Leeside was resolved.

He revealed that no member of this year's panel had applied for GPA membership and he was firm when asked if application forms would be accepted while the standoff with the 2008 players continues.

"No, I don't think we could look into that until the situation was resolved down there," he said on Tuesday.

"Obviously, there is a little bit to be played out but hopefully that will become apparent in the coming weeks and the situation will be rectified."

Hardy

True colours, etc. Seems that, on top of all the other things the GPA is not, it's not democratic either. I wonder can Mr. Farrell quote the rule in the GPA's constitution that qualifies him to issue this edict and that disqualifies members of a properly constituted county panel from membership of his pressure group association?

longrunsthefox

Meant to add line on that piece from Kieran Shannon at weekend were he said, GPA seems more about elite players driving sponsored cars... true. 

Bensars

If any member of the "new" cork squad want to join the GPA, they should be allowed as they will then be county representitives. Are their needs any less than any other member on the island of ireland. they will have the same concerns, travelling expenses, help with sports gear etc etc.

Farrell is becoming more and more judge and jury.

cornafean

The Equality Authority may be interested, if someone claims discrimination on the part of the GPA.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

INDIANA

I can't see how the credibility of the GPA exists after this. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the issues I thought anyone on a county squad was entitled to join if they wished.

Cruncher

Another woeful statement from GPA simply reinforcing the gulf between this organisation and the ethos of the GAA. Ordinary members throughout the country will be more disillusioned with farrell and co than ever before. Time they faded away as they represent only greed and selfishness. >:(

The GAA

Definitely out of order from the GPA. Surely anyone playing county hurling or football should be eligible for membership

full back

Bad move by Dessie here
In the past he has made a numpty out of himself with some of his comments but he is simply alienating the group from the rest of the GAA by saying this
The group was set up for county players. Are the current Cork players not worthy of the name?

All pigs are equal, but some are more equal than others - eh Dessie :-\

orangeman

Interesting comments from Dessie and it will be interesting what those who said the GPA weren't invloved in the Cork strike have to say about this.

Malcontent ?

irunthev

When all of this Cork mess is eventually settled (whenever that might be) there is little doubt that a few of the "second string" players will eventually find their way through to the Cork senior team and go on some time in the future to be highly successful inter-county players... All Stars, All Ireland winners, media darlings etc etc. When this happens I hope these players remember Farrell's approach to them and when he goes looking for their by then high profile endorsement, they will tell him where to shove his grubby, greedy and as of yet still officially unrecognised committee. I used to really admire Donal Og as I thought he was an obsessive keeper who sought perfection. Now you can see he is just a  spoilt brat who wants everything his own way. This is Farrell showing very poor judgement as a leader and bowing to the toy throwing antics of Donal Og

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 11, 2009, 11:13:49 AM
Interesting comments from Dessie and it will be interesting what those who said the GPA weren't invloved in the Cork strike have to say about this.

Malcontent ?

i'd be interested to know how you leap to the conclusion that the GPA were involved in the cork dispute before now?

Doogie Browser

Dessie is so full of arrogance that he cannot see the total hypocrisy of his position.  All players are equal but some are more equal than others scenario again.

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on February 11, 2009, 11:15:28 AM
Quote from: orangeman on February 11, 2009, 11:13:49 AM

Malcontent ?

i'd be interested to know how you leap to the conclusion that the GPA were involved in the cork dispute before now?

Sure Dessie came up with this himself just yesterday. It was not part of a co ordinated choreographed strategy ! Not at all.

And they're not showing their colours by this statement.

Zulu

I've posted this in the Cork thread but I agree with Dessie, on the grounds that there are two Cork panels and he said he would wait for this to be resolved before making a judgemnet on the 09 squad. This is the reality, whether folks around here want to accept it or not, both Gerald and FM are quoted as saying they still want to talk to the 08 lads even after saying they were moving on without them a few weeks ago. If the 08 lads went back next week the 09 lads would no longer be IC players, so if I were Dessie I'd hols the same opinion though I'd probably have been a bit more diplomatic about it.