Respect for National anthems

Started by longrunsthefox, February 08, 2009, 03:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Seems the rugby boys are most emotive about the national anthem. Always one of them in tears. Watched last years All Ireland DVD  and Tyrone players sing it out with pride while Kerry players were dancing about and strectching and few showed respect. I was in a dance-disco in Kilkenny in the 80s and was astonished when anthem was played at the end and people just dandered about and chatted to each other. It you done that up North you would have got a slap in the bake. Also people are supposed to take off caps when anthem is played but few do. It should be respected.     

5 Sams

Go to any match in the 6 counties and its played to the very last note without interruption....bugs the shit outta me when the crowd starts roaring at chun bais no saoil... >:(
The Aristocrat Years

milltown row

do they still play the anthem in the local bars and discos?

cant remember the last time i heard it in a local. try and stay out of them now anyway

watching the hurling there and it would be freezing standing for the anthem before a match today, some stood and others didn't

it's a great feeling though on final day when your a player and it comes on

longrunsthefox

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 08, 2009, 03:15:25 PM
Go to any match in the 6 counties and its played to the very last note without interruption....bugs the shit outta me when the crowd starts roaring at chun bais no saoil... >:(

Is respected in Casement Park and at 2003 final between Tyrone and Armagh. ironically most sap rising rendition I ever hard was at soccer match Ireland V Italy giants stadium June 18, 1994. Unreal. 

Joxer

The IRFU (Or whoever the f**k picked that Irelands called shite) should respect the National Anthem themselves and only play  Amhrán na bhFiann. 

O'Gara is a tool I know but at least he has has said he only sings Amhrán na bhFiann and doesnt see why Irelands Call should be played!

In saying that all Anthems at the rugby seem to be respected impeccably.

The GAA

Playing the anthem at every single inter county game dilutes its impact

Bogball XV

The version over the tannoy before the tipp v waterford game was the worst effort I've heard since before a game up in Bellaghy a few years ago.

Gnevin

Quote from: Joxer on February 08, 2009, 03:52:08 PM
The IRFU (Or whoever the f**k picked that Irelands called shite) should respect the National Anthem themselves and only play  Amhrán na bhFiann. 

O'Gara is a tool I know but at least he has his priorities and only sings Amhrán na bhFiann and cant tolerate that other sell out shite!

Would you rather 2 rugby unions and teams on this island?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Myles Na G.

O'Gara is a tool I know but at least he has his priorities and only sings Amhrán na bhFiann and cant tolerate that other sell out shite!

The Soldiers Song represents only the 26 counties. The Ireland rugby represents 32 counties. The 26 county anthem is therefore inappropriate on these occasions and shouldn't really be played at all. Also, reading motives into what players sing or don't sing is absolutely pointless. Jerry Flannery stood stoney faced through both TSS and Ireland's Call. Does that mean he thinks both are shite?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Myles Na G. on February 08, 2009, 05:03:24 PM
The Soldiers Song represents only the 26 counties.

And some of the 6 counties. GSTQ is certainly not representative of me.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

J70

Compromise = sell out, does it?

Sounds like something Paisley would have come out with.

Puckoon

I really have to laugh at these morons who hate irelands call. It's a better, inclusive piece of music than the soldier song. Most of the team sing both, with no problems. Has any Irish player spoken out against irelands call? Or is it just ass backward begrudgers unwilling to give an inch?

red hander

The Soldiers Song represents only the 26 counties. The Ireland rugby represents 32 counties. The 26 county anthem is therefore inappropriate on these occasions and shouldn't really be played at all. Also, reading motives into what players sing or don't sing is absolutely pointless. Jerry Flannery stood stoney faced through both TSS and Ireland's Call. Does that mean he thinks both are shite?

It's 'A Soldier's Song', oh font of all knowledge.  My disdain for Ireland's Call has got nothing to do with sell outs etc, it's to do with the fact it is, as a song, both lyrically and musically, the biggest pile of steaming shite ever written

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 08, 2009, 05:10:18 PM
The Soldiers Song represents only the 26 counties.

And some of the 6 counties. GSTQ is certainly not representative of me.
GSTQ is certainly not my national anthem either, but neither is TSS. For me, it belongs to the 26 county state. When we have an independent, unitary state we'll have a shiny new flag to wave and a brand new anthem to sing. Until then, I'll stick with Ireland's Call as the only song that Irishmen and women from all over the island can sing together.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: red hander on February 08, 2009, 05:23:27 PM

It's 'A Soldier's Song', oh font of all knowledge.  My disdain for Ireland's Call has got nothing to do with sell outs etc, it's to do with the fact it is, as a song, both lyrically and musically, the biggest pile of steaming shite ever written
Okay, but would you feel happier if I was referring to ASS??