U2

Started by 5 Sams, February 07, 2009, 11:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on July 25, 2009, 02:40:18 PM
Poor opening.
Great middle
Average encore.Disappointing choice of last song.

Good performance but not a patch on previous outings. Why they persist with 4 songs in a row from the current album at the start is beyond me. Middle part of the gig was terrific though.

To sell the album.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

True ;D but it really poxs up the set in my view. Magnificent is a good song but the other 3 aren't even close. You'd be better off being 20 mins late in my view.
Great to see some of their more memorable hits- ie the ones that made them. But they need to change the opening .

T Fearon

Brilliant gig, best U2 concert ever! Got two tickets on ebay for £40 (ie £20 each) and once in, managed to wangle my way from Davin up to Hogan right at the side of ther stage! ;D

Money saving parking tip! Go to Clerys Q Park in Marlborough Street at any time day or night. Get the ticket out of the machine and bring it when you park to the cutomer services desk. Show the attendant your U2 concert ticket and he or she will stamp your car parking ticket meaning that after the gig when you return to your vehicle,you will only pay 7 euros regardless of the time of day you parked! If you park after 5pm you will only pay 6 euros. Fantastic value and also you avoid the jams after the gig in the Croke Park vacinity. I was in Trim at 12.30 this morning not much more than an hour and a quarter after the concert!  ;D

thebigfella

Quote from: muppet on July 25, 2009, 02:46:33 PM
Poor opening.
Great middle

Good performance but not a patch on previous outings. Why they persist with 4 songs in a row from the current album at the start is beyond me. Middle part of the gig was terrific though.

To sell the album.

TBH the first 4 or 5 songs were great live. Didn't like the last track but come on the whole point of the tour is to sell the new material. If you want to see the old stuff, get yourself a flux capacitor, 1.21 giggawatts etc........ Fcuk me some people are dense, go see the new tour live and complain cause they didn't play enough material from 20 years ago  >:( >:( >:( >:(

muppet

Quote from: thebigfella on July 25, 2009, 02:51:53 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 25, 2009, 02:46:33 PM
Poor opening.
Great middle

To sell the album.

TBH the first 4 or 5 songs were great live. Didn't like the last track but come on the whole point of the tour is to sell the new material. If you want to see the old stuff, get yourself a flux capacitor, 1.21 giggawatts etc........ Fcuk me some people are dense, go see the new tour live and complain cause they didn't play enough material from 20 years ago  >:( >:( >:( >:(

To be fair ask 5 U2 fanatics and they wouldn't ever agree on a set list. They have such a wealth of material you will always leave their concerts wishing you heard other songs in addition to what they played.

The only solution is that they play much longer concerts, starting tonight.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Nope just other artists don't try to flog dead ducks - some of the singles didn't make the top40 for christs sake. The album has sold worse than of their others in the States ;D ;D. We're all entitled to our opinions but in my opinion if they dropped the lame ducks with any songs even off their previous 2-3 albums- it could be the best live show yet.
I'm going again on Monday- please God they'll drop the opening.Or at least change it.

Treasurer

Thoroughly enjoyed it.  I think that was about my 8th time to see them live and it was as good as any, if not better.  I'd go again tonight if i could!

balladmaker

Just after watching a few clips on youtube.  Am I right in saying that the whole setup looked a bit ordinary while it was still daylight, but came into a class of its own once darkness fell and the lights came on?

muppet

Quote from: balladmaker on July 26, 2009, 02:45:21 AM
Just after watching a few clips on youtube.  Am I right in saying that the whole setup looked a bit ordinary while it was still daylight, but came into a class of its own once darkness fell and the lights came on?

No.

Best U2 concert I've been to.

Magnificent.
MWWSI 2017

Louth Exile

Quote from: INDIANA on July 25, 2009, 02:58:15 PM
Nope just other artists don't try to flog dead ducks - some of the singles didn't make the top40 for christs sake. The album has sold worse than of their others in the States ;D ;D. We're all entitled to our opinions but in my opinion if they dropped the lame ducks with any songs even off their previous 2-3 albums- it could be the best live show yet.
I'm going again on Monday- please God they'll drop the opening.Or at least change it.

You may give up on banging that drum Indiana, U2 ain't listening. Look at the setlists for the tour so far
http://www.setlist.fm/search?query=artist:%22U2%22+tour:%22360%C2%B0+Tour%22

SPOILER ALERT: for those who don't want to know.....
You can be guaranteed the concert will open as follows:
Breathe, NLOTH, Boots, Magnificent, Beautiful Day
The last three song encore is going to be:
Ultraviolet, With or Without You, Moment of Surrender
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

HowAreYeGettinOn

Still buzzing after last night's gig. Absolutely tremendous, miles better than I thought it would be.

Had to laugh at the early one-liner from himself - 'We had a top night last night - we're gonna top that tonight - and we're gonna top ourselves on Monday.'

Don't see any issue with them starting with new stuff - why wouldn't they? They've done that with every tour they've done. I'm no fan of 'Boots' but everyone enjoyed it. The new album's title track is decent enough. But 'Breathe' is a killer opener, 'Magnificent', 'Unknown Caller' and 'Moment of Surrender' were all superb, and they even made a job of 'Crazy Tonight' by putting it to a daft Eurodisco-Balearic beat. The crowd went NUTS for that.

Himself even kept the speeches to a minimum. A welcome bonus in a terrific show. ;) Get tickets for Monday if you can.

lurganblue

My first time seeing U2 last night and I must admitt I thought the whole concert was brilliant. Really enjoyed it. I agree that it was a poor choice of song to end on but sure. They should have finished on with or without you.

On a side note I was in the big tree bar before the concert were there was a live band doing a U2 tribute. They were also excellent!

Sandino

Hi all, a quick question I am for the gig on Monday night, what time did U2 come on stage and what time was the gig over at. Thanks, can't wait!!
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Sandino on July 26, 2009, 08:02:09 PM
Hi all, a quick question I am for the gig on Monday night, what time did U2 come on stage and what time was the gig over at. Thanks, can't wait!!

Came on around 9 and off shortly after 11 last night. Unreal concert.

Sandino

Thanks,MDG that will help with my planning. I think I have great seats in the Hogan so it should be one to enjoy.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''