Cork Footballers to Follow Cork Hurlers

Started by full back, February 06, 2009, 08:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0206/cork.html

The GAA crisis in Cork has deepened with the news that the county's footballers are ready to join the hurlers in strike action.

Last year's senior hurling panel are refusing to play under manager Gerald McCarthy in what they claim is a protest at the way he was appointed.

Despite months of talks, no solution has been found to the impasse in the county, which is now set to deteriorate further with the news that the football panel are willing to join their protest.

The footballers will complete the current league campaign, but are ready to join the hurlers in strike action once the league finishes, therefore missing the Championship.

The Cork hurlers play host to Dublin in Division One of the NHL on Sunday and McCarthy has named an inexperienced team of 15 debutants.

The footballers started their league campaign last Sunday with a victory against Meath.

Shamrock Shore

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

GrandMasterFlash

The only positive I can see is that at least they are gonna play out the NFL unlike last year when the gave Dublin and Meath two handy points each but played the rest of the teams in the division thereby royally fu*king up the division.

And yes, it is sour grapes as the top of the table may have looked a little diferent had this not have happened!

At least the Munster Final will be slightly more intriguing, Kerry v Limerck again??  ???

cornafean

Jack O'Connor must have wet his pants laughing this morning.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

amallon

If the Cork Hurlers Marque II get hammered all across the country in the NHL I think the pressure will be mounting on the county board to get it sorted before the championship, if at this stage the footballers walk out too this could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

thebandit

If the footballers strike as well, both senior teams should be thrown out of all competitions for 2009.

Minder

Quote from: thebandit on February 06, 2009, 10:42:08 AM
If the footballers strike as well, both senior teams should be thrown out of all competitions for 2009.

Agreed, maybe thye will realise the world will keep turning without them. F*ckwits.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

bingobus

Quote from: thebandit on February 06, 2009, 10:42:08 AM

I would only throw the strikers out. Let the rest play and take hammerings if needed. Life must go on without them.

The GAA really need to step in and clear the panels out and county board if the find them they are guility of any wrongdoing.
They need to grab the bull by the horn and make it clear that they will not tolerate players striking or County Board officials over stepping their mark.

tyronefan

I figure that there more to this than backing up the hurlers. They have been out in strike for a while now and the footballers have played on but the minute that it is confirmed that Tadhg Kennelly will be back to play for Kerry the cork lads go on strike  : ::) ::) ;D ;D

Maguire01

Quote from: amallon on February 06, 2009, 09:42:46 AM
If the Cork Hurlers Marque II get hammered all across the country in the NHL I think the pressure will be mounting on the county board to get it sorted before the championship, if at this stage the footballers walk out too this could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Equally the reserve team could go out and do okay. Maybe that would show the players just how indispensable they are.
Are Cork fans planning on supporting the reserve team or what's the story there?

clarshack

used to have a lot of time for cork GAA.

the Cork footballers should really be focusing on trying to stop the annual capitulation to Kerry in Croke Park.

magpie seanie

I think Shamrock Shore summed it up better than anyone else could. Gutless wonders the lot of them. Always fold when it comes to the crunch anyway so whether they play or not they won't be figuring in September.

NAG

Would it make any difference if they did go on strike, sure they havent the team to make an impact anyway. There is maybe two good games in them in a year and that isnt enough to win an all ireland with a few serious contenders knocking around.

Drumanee 1

let the pr*cks rot,i seriously hope the cork county board dont calf on this,the players will look back in a few years when they are finished and wonder why the hell they through away there best playing days and hell rub it up them.