Carlton Corkman clocks Cloke, contract cancellation considered.

Started by stephenite, February 06, 2009, 04:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: stephenite on February 06, 2009, 11:44:18 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 06, 2009, 11:30:36 AM
Quote from: orangeman on February 06, 2009, 11:16:52 AM
Kicking is deemed one of the lowest acts in sport - you can beat the life out of an opponent with your fists, but kicking is a no no.

It's especially the case in Aussie Rules. Kicking a man in that game is seen as way, way worse than a thump. The fact that the man is on the ground compounds it. The Aussies go big in for the camaraderie thing and this was a clear violation of any of that. Setanta will be let go, I've very little doubt about that.

So the big question - will he join up with provisional Cork squad or the continuity one??

I don't think he'll get the bullet

No? I'd be shocked if he doesn't. He's only a bit-part and even if someone high profile did this there'd be calls for his removal. Much might depend on previous cases and reading that he has a notoriously short temper won't help things. Also the manner of the kick - the way he thought about it for a second or two before doing it - makes the action look a lot more vindictive than just 'a moment of madness'.

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on February 06, 2009, 11:38:11 AM
Any hurling prowess is long gone. Aisake is out with the footballers I'd say Setanta will join him. He's gone after that. Kicking is seen as sacrilege in Aussie Rules. And he's not a big enough profile player to get away with it thats his biggest problem.

Yeah it's gas.
Knocking people out cold with a clothesline is quite alright though.
They are such a manly bunch.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I blame that fcuker Kennelly, such an exemplary and polished professional, and giving us all an impossibly good name!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

thejuice

almost 40 pages about it on Big-footie! Most of them reckon he's finished.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

heineken_on_tap

clarshack

if you watch the full coverage and see cloke getting up - he doesnt look too happy and he doesnt look like a midget either.

ludermor

Quote from: thejuice on February 06, 2009, 11:21:40 AM
It was only a kick in the hole. When I read he kicked him on the ground I was thinking maybe it was serious like a kick in the ribs or head, but c'mon it was only a kick in the arse.  The punch would have done way more damage to the Cloke fella.

He should have teabagged him

NAG

I honestly dont see the problem with this, OK putting the boot in when he was on the ground was uncalled for but these types of situations happen all the time in professional sport. Id say there are a right few bust ups in the rugby scene just never make the light of day.
If the guy had done the reversal we would have been saying he is too light for that game and cant hack and should come home. I dont see alot wrong with him flexing his muscles and putting an aussie back in his box too often it has been the other way around in our recent sporting past. And as for the aussies calling for his contract to be terminated then wise up!

(PS Im not anO'Hailpin family Fan)

zoyler

Its the kick that did the damage (not to Cloke but to Setanta) Its a big no no in Oz.

AlsoThe Age (Ms Wilson - a right harpie) are hinting that there are domestic problems home in Cork and that the lads are estranged from their parents.  Of course with the standrad of journalism in Australia this could be all tabloid nonsense.

Main Street

Quote from: zoyler on February 06, 2009, 03:36:54 PM
Its the kick that did the damage (not to Cloke but to Setanta) Its a big no no in Oz.

AlsoThe Age (Ms Wilson - a right harpie) are hinting that there are domestic problems home in Cork and that the lads are estranged from their parents.  Of course with the standrad of journalism in Australia this could be all tabloid nonsense.
Being from Cork, in itself, is enough background cause for irrational prima donna behaviour,  no need to dig deeper.
As long as it is an Aussie lying on the ground and an Irishman standing tall, I´m okay with a toepoke up the arse for humiliating effect.

Now spitting, that's a low

Glensman

I can't actually access the video and when I do it may change things but as has been mentioned here it appears to not be a particularly hard kick (nether regions or not).

In hurling last year Tom Kenny flicked Cha Fitz in the nether regions. He was widely villified at the time and rightly so. He was looked at as a hard tough hurler who to that date (as far as I am aware) had a decent record. It is forgotten now.
He did this in Croke Park in front of a huge live and TV audience.

There is some importance behind the Oz "no kicking" thing but in my opinion it can be taken too far. You are allowed to run full pelt at someone and stick your shoulder in their face. You are allowed to swing as many haymakers as you like (Barry "Lets get ready to rumble" Hall springs to mind) but as soon as you raise a boot then that's it. Career over, get out of there, pack your bags. Does that actually make sense?! Is it not hypocritical on any level?

It was a training ground incident that should be kept there and the circumstances reviewed internally. One of the things I read about it stated that it might cause an issue with Carlton, whose pre-season has been so good to date. If this derails their efforts then they need to have a look at themselves. If they are a good club with a good history they deal with this in house, find out the full circumstances, fine SOH and if the other player is to blame in any way him as well. Make a statement and get SOH to make an apology and move on.

I like the cameradie among the Aussie rules boys. It is there to see and having trained with a team a few times in oz I saw it first hand.
It may set SOH back with teammates and the public but to ruin his career for this then that in my book is just wrong. His previous conduct should be looked at.
If he was not up to scratch on a playing level they may use this as an opportunity to get rid of him...if so that is a shame.

No offence by this (I don't think) is meant but I detest that macho bully-boy behaviour that can come out in Australian fans and sportsmen. It wreaks of having a chip on their shoulder and given the general success of their athletes and the provisions made for them in their country re sport it doesn't sit easily with me.

Zapatista

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Zapatista on February 06, 2009, 04:53:47 PM
Shouldn't this be in the - General Discussion section?

Are you saying that subconsciously stephenite believes the GAA and AFL to be one and the same? Strewth!  ;)

Edit To elucidate :-

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=6748.285

I especially like this bit:

Quote from: stephenite on December 09, 2008, 11:29:17 PM
Rubbish - the notion that relations with the AFL lend a legitimacy as something of a stablemate is utter bullshit, the notion that cutting off those relations would lead to young players being less inclined to try their hand at AFL is utter bullshit. The notion that the lines are currently blurred is utter bullshit.

:D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BallyhaiseMan

giving someone a wee tap on the ground is deemed a big no no, yet Close-lining an opponent and 3 or 4 players holding onto  1 while another punches like the International Rules is the way of the Aussies.
Cowards who pick on those smaller than them,
Good on ya Setanta,just a pity you hadnt to knock Brendan Favola out when you were at it.
Looking forward to you playing for Cork this year(strike permitting)

magickingdom

roy keane, michael collins, stephen ireland, cork hurlers, cork footballers, setanta o'hAilpin... the list just goes on. langerland is a dicy place