The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barna Bee

completely agree with this , nobody in their right minds would buy either player for the fees you are talking about . they are far too injury prone .
Liverpool are well and truely for it this season and it's also curtains for the fat spanish waiter

EC Unique

Quote from: full back on January 14, 2010, 05:00:13 PM
IMHO Utd & the scousers are in similar situations, the only difference being that Utd are at the top of the slippery slope looking at the scousers who are half way down.

The ways things are going both clubs will be fighting for CL spots in the future unless buyers are found

Citeh, Chelski & the gooners are the 3 clubs in pole position financially speaking

Spot on.

I am just after reading about the Torres and Gerrard injuries. Liverpool are fucked now. If Torres really needs 'surgery for torn cartilage in his right knee' 6 weeks seems a short lay off. Sounds more like a 3 month job to me. Anything that can go wrong this season is going wrong!!

Rossie11

QuoteThat leaves Barca, Man City and Chelsea as the only realistic clubs he would go to and I just can't see that happening,

Cant see how people think Torres will definitely stay if pool dont make Champs league.
He would owe Pool nothing and would have an agent in his ear for starters.
Rafa more than likely will be gone which I think would affect his decision.
He would be playing for a team on the slide so there no guarantees his own form wouldnt be affected. He will be playing for owners who might have to cash in to keep the club afloat thus taking decision out of his hands.

Look at pros and cons of staying/going.
Pros of staying:
Playing with a team he has said he loves.
Adored by fans
What else??

Pros of leaving:

To City: Massive cash. Could demand (and get) 200k per week. Loose change to the Arabs

To Barca: Contenders for the big trophies every year.
              Adored by fans through a mutual hatred of Madrid.
              Being a finisher of chances created by Messi Xavi Iniesta etc..

Jesus its a no brainer in my book. I know he is young and has plenty of time to win things but his head would have to be turned by an offer from either of those 2.

GalwayBayBoy

About the only silver lining as regards to finishing outside the top 4 this season is it may force the yanks hand in selling the club. There have been interested parties out there looking to buy but not at the price H&G are looking for. No CL money next season and they may decide to cut their losses and sell up. Already it seems like new investors are on the horizon according to Purslow so hopefully it will be a complete buy-out rather than a part ownership with the current owners.

A bit sad though that football has come to whoever can whore themselves out to the wealthiest sugar daddy available. I guess it was always like that but now it's on a global scale rather than some local businessman investing the cash.

Silky

QuoteAlready it seems like new investors are on the horizon

If I had sixpence for every time I've that in the last 10 years!  ::)

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Silky on January 14, 2010, 06:12:40 PM
QuoteAlready it seems like new investors are on the horizon

If I had sixpence for every time I've that in the last 10 years!  ::)

There are always people interested but only at the right price. The biggest mistake was Moores sellling to G&H in the first place simply because he got a bigger cut of the pie himself when others were willing to put more money in and would not have had to put the club in so much debt in order to purchase it. Now G&H won't go unless they get their pound of flesh out of the club as well which means they push the asking price up.

Silky

Everytime any Tom, Dick or Harry says "Yeah I'd like to own Liverpool FC." the Echo runs a headline on the back page and all Forums are full of it.

I've seen it too often now to pay any attention.

After that opening line above expect the following tomorrow night:

"Echo Exclusive: Mystery Irishman to buy Pool!"

mountainboii

Quote from: full back on January 14, 2010, 05:00:13 PM
IMHO Utd & the scousers are in similar situations, the only difference being that Utd are at the top of the slippery slope looking at the scousers who are half way down.

The ways things are going both clubs will be fighting for CL spots in the future unless buyers are found

Citeh, Chelski & the gooners are the 3 clubs in pole position financially speaking

What is Arsenal's financial situation like? Its rarely discussed, but I was under the impression that they went into a lot of debt to pay for their new stadium. They have a few mysterious foreign investors of their own too.

Dinny Breen

I see Liverpool signed Maxi yesterday, Twink was unavailable as she didn't want to do Pantomime this year!!!!!
#newbridgeornowhere

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: AFS on January 14, 2010, 06:49:44 PMWhat is Arsenal's financial situation like? Its rarely discussed, but I was under the impression that they went into a lot of debt to pay for their new stadium. They have a few mysterious foreign investors of their own too.

I'm pretty sure they've paid off most of that debt

Over the Bar

QuoteIQuote
They have a european pedigree, unlike Villa.

hmm... might you be a child of the 90s/noughties?  or maybe you just didnt watch the Europen Cup beyond Liverpool getting emilinated?

I am far from a liverpool fan, I have watched them win european cups since the seventies, villa won very little in europe, compared to Liverpools record in europe villa's is a wee bit sub par dont you think otb?

Villa may be "sub par" to Liverpool however it's a little demeaning to state that they don't have a European pedigree.  They have won the European Cup in 1982 which ranks above the achievements of Chelsea, Arsenal and every other premiership team in Europe bar Utd and Liverpool.

GalwayBayBoy

Fernando's having his say now.

QuoteFernando Torres piles pressure on Liverpool owners with plea to invest in new players

Tony Barrett

Fernando Torres has warned Liverpool's owners that they must invest in quality players if the club are to have any chance of competing with Chelsea and Manchester United.

The Spain striker, who faces six weeks on the sidelines with a knee injury sustained in the shock FA Cup defeat by Reading, is the most high-profile player to speak out publicly about how Liverpool are being run under Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr.

"It's now the owners' turn," Torres said. "They have to sign players so that this does not happen again. If we want to compete with United and Chelsea we need a much, much more complete squad. We need more genuinely first-class players and we can't let our best players leave."

The limitations of Rafael Benítez's squad have been laid bare in a season in which they have already crashed out of the Champions League, FA Cup and Carling Cup and have again failed to mount a challenge for the Barclays Premier League title.

Reading's victory at Anfield in a third-round replay served only to intensify the pressure on Benítez, but the indications are that his position as manager is not under immediate threat.

The Liverpool hierarchy has committed itself to seeing out the season with Benítez in charge and even Wednesday night's defeat will not force them into a rethink. There is, however, mounting concern about Liverpool's ability to finish in the top four, particularly with Torres, Steven Gerrard and Yossi Benayoun facing injury layoffs.

Should Liverpool fail to qualify for next season's Champions League, the manager's position will come under renewed and intense pressure at the end of the campaign.

Leading bookmakers responded yesterday to the growing feeling that Benítez is on borrowed time by making him odds-on favourite to be dismissed before the season ends. But that flies in the face of the opinion of the Liverpool board, that the 49-year-old has exceeded expectations during the past 5½ years.

There is also no appetite on the Spaniard's part to resign. Having signed a new five-year contract only last March, he remains committed to working his way out of the malaise that reached new depths when Reading became the third lower- division side to eliminate them from the FA Cup during Benítez's tenure.

His lengthy, lucrative contract could provide one explanation for the refusal of the Liverpool board to contemplate dismissing Benítez.

With the club's £237 million debts and resultant interest payments in the region of £30 million a year, there is little cash available to finance the kind of expensive incursion into the transfer market that Torres is seeking, let alone to fund a payoff of about £12 million for their manager.

Benítez would be entitled to have the majority of the earnings due to him from the remaining four years on his deal paid in full if he was forced out.

The feeling of gloom at Anfield increased yesterday when fitness bulletins were delivered on Torres, Gerrard and Benayoun, who picked up their injuries during the defeat by Reading. As if losing Torres, their principal striker, for up to six weeks was not bad enough, Benítez will also be without Benayoun, the midfield player, because of a fractured rib, and Gerrard, his captain and inspiration, for a fortnight after he suffered a hamstring strain.

Benítez can ill afford to be without three of his most important attacking players, particularly with Glen Johnson, the right back, still unavailable owing to the knee injury he picked up nearly three weeks ago.

In years gone by, Liverpool would have been expected to respond to such a slump in form and rash of injuries by making funds available to their manager. But such a scenario is highly unlikely during the January transfer window because of the financial restrictions that continue to hamper the club.

The Liverpool manager has been assured that he can reinvest whatever income is produced from the potential sale of Ryan Babel and the injury to Torres is likely to force him to train his sights on a forward, particularly as he can call upon only Dirk Kuyt and David Ngog to fill in for his record signing.

Bensars

He's a quare cheek with all the money hes got whilst being injured.

Minus15

Where do you start?

I have rarely posted on here of late partly because of the demise of the team and some of the shite that's being said and partly because I have been a Rafa supporter. Right now my instinct tells me, and has been taking hold of me for some time now, that it is time for a change.

Sick listening to the boardroom trouble and the potential for new investment. The Foster Gillette affair has further dragged the reputation of the club through the dirt. The Yanks have done nothing positive for the club that the previous owner couldn't have done. Empty promises on new stadiums, in fighting, approaching other managers, basically just giving the finger to what true followers refer to as the Liverpool Way, something which like it or not can no longer be associate with the club at present.

The fact that the team has continued to prosper (up until this season) and progress meant that Rafa has been held in the highest of regard. Undoubtedly, the improvement of the team and the title challenge last year has proved that Rafa been good for Liverpool and has been successful. But Gerard Houllier was a success also in the early years. He finally got full control of transfers and the departure of Rick Parry but with no money to spend his hands have been tied.

Yes, I accept that Rafa has severe restrictions to deal with, however, he appears to be losing control of things and the players simply are not performing. When things get this bad, a closer scrutiny of the manager is undertaken and the irritating things that have gone on in the past begin to crop up. Irregular team selections, substitutions that leave you scratching your head but you think Rafa knows best, playing players out of position, reluctance to let the team express themselves, preoccupation with systems, percentages and organisation, persistence with players who aren't up to the task, Robbie Keane, spending on youth players who have potential but never shows trust in them it goes on and on.

Rafa has signed some great players for Liverpool. Alonso, Reina, Mascherano, Torres and others which have certainly been a success such as Crouch, Sissoko, Skrtel, Agger, Aurelio, Kuyt, Benayoun, Luis Garcia. Plenty have come in who have not been good enough but to be fair to Rafa good players have had to be sold to but better ones due to lack of funds. If  Liverpool had the money of Chelsea their team would look much better at the minute.

Every game and the performance of the team continues to frustrate. The owners, the bad press, the lack of money for transfers continue to take their toll on the players and fans and indeed the manager. The team is simply not performing. When Reading forced extra time last night the first thing I noticed was that the team had no leadership in the final third. Nobody who could grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Gerrard has been poor this season and you can see in his play just how frustrated he is with the standard of play around him. Torres continues to yap at referees, Insua is a liability. How Aurelio is not getting on I don't know. Negativity in terms of tactics and team selection means poor performances on the pitch. The champions league has always offered fans the evidence that the team was among the best and that Rafa would get there but not this season. Rafa's cold approach really falters when the team isn't playing well. He is too detached and too methodical. I would love to see what Babel could do with the right man management and confidence.

I just don't know anymore. I just hope Rafa can turn it around. If he leaves I wouldn't bank on the owners making the right appointment. At the minute it appears that the players could be on the verge of losing faith. If Liverpool don't show signs of serious improvement of their position in the next month in the absence of Gerrard and Torres then their will be a big decision to make. If that is the case Rafa must go whatever the cost and someone brought in not as an interim appointment but permanently. Who I don't know but they will have 3 months to show the likes of Torres and Gerrard that they can be part of a successful club in the coming seasons.

For now, the players must stand up and be counted. If they do great. If they don't, then a lot of them do not have the quality or menatlity to play for Liverpool. The positivity of last season has just made this season hurt so much more. Can't help but wonder how the team would fare if they were given the freedom to play attacking football with proper wingers and 2 strikers. Harry Redknapp always gets his teams playing good football for him. Liverpool are crying out for someone like that at the minute. Rafa, I fear your time is up.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Minus15 on January 14, 2010, 11:42:21 PM
Where do you start?

I have rarely posted on here of late partly because of the demise of the team and some of the shite that's being said and partly because I have been a Rafa supporter. Right now my instinct tells me, and has been taking hold of me for some time now, that it is time for a change.

Sick listening to the boardroom trouble and the potential for new investment. The Foster Gillette affair has further dragged the reputation of the club through the dirt. The Yanks have done nothing positive for the club that the previous owner couldn't have done. Empty promises on new stadiums, in fighting, approaching other managers, basically just giving the finger to what true followers refer to as the Liverpool Way, something which like it or not can no longer be associate with the club at present.

The fact that the team has continued to prosper (up until this season) and progress meant that Rafa has been held in the highest of regard. Undoubtedly, the improvement of the team and the title challenge last year has proved that Rafa been good for Liverpool and has been successful. But Gerard Houllier was a success also in the early years. He finally got full control of transfers and the departure of Rick Parry but with no money to spend his hands have been tied.

Yes, I accept that Rafa has severe restrictions to deal with, however, he appears to be losing control of things and the players simply are not performing. When things get this bad, a closer scrutiny of the manager is undertaken and the irritating things that have gone on in the past begin to crop up. Irregular team selections, substitutions that leave you scratching your head but you think Rafa knows best, playing players out of position, reluctance to let the team express themselves, preoccupation with systems, percentages and organisation, persistence with players who aren't up to the task, Robbie Keane, spending on youth players who have potential but never shows trust in them it goes on and on.

Rafa has signed some great players for Liverpool. Alonso, Reina, Mascherano, Torres and others which have certainly been a success such as Crouch, Sissoko, Skrtel, Agger, Aurelio, Kuyt, Benayoun, Luis Garcia. Plenty have come in who have not been good enough but to be fair to Rafa good players have had to be sold to but better ones due to lack of funds. If  Liverpool had the money of Chelsea their team would look much better at the minute.

Every game and the performance of the team continues to frustrate. The owners, the bad press, the lack of money for transfers continue to take their toll on the players and fans and indeed the manager. The team is simply not performing. When Reading forced extra time last night the first thing I noticed was that the team had no leadership in the final third. Nobody who could grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Gerrard has been poor this season and you can see in his play just how frustrated he is with the standard of play around him. Torres continues to yap at referees, Insua is a liability. How Aurelio is not getting on I don't know. Negativity in terms of tactics and team selection means poor performances on the pitch. The champions league has always offered fans the evidence that the team was among the best and that Rafa would get there but not this season. Rafa's cold approach really falters when the team isn't playing well. He is too detached and too methodical. I would love to see what Babel could do with the right man management and confidence.

I just don't know anymore. I just hope Rafa can turn it around. If he leaves I wouldn't bank on the owners making the right appointment. At the minute it appears that the players could be on the verge of losing faith. If Liverpool don't show signs of serious improvement of their position in the next month in the absence of Gerrard and Torres then their will be a big decision to make. If that is the case Rafa must go whatever the cost and someone brought in not as an interim appointment but permanently. Who I don't know but they will have 3 months to show the likes of Torres and Gerrard that they can be part of a successful club in the coming seasons.

For now, the players must stand up and be counted. If they do great. If they don't, then a lot of them do not have the quality or menatlity to play for Liverpool. The positivity of last season has just made this season hurt so much more. Can't help but wonder how the team would fare if they were given the freedom to play attacking football with proper wingers and 2 strikers. Harry Redknapp always gets his teams playing good football for him. Liverpool are crying out for someone like that at the minute. Rafa, I fear your time is up.

Think thats sums up the way alot of fans feel at the minute, even those who have defended rafa in the past
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either