The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Quote from: David McKeown on April 04, 2020, 10:14:39 AM
Quote from: Armamike on April 03, 2020, 02:30:55 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on April 02, 2020, 09:43:45 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on April 01, 2020, 04:46:40 PM
Opinions on how this season is going to be resolved/finished?
Will Liverpool win the league?

Liverpool deserve the title but I can't see a fair way to end this. Players who have signed contracts to go else where might find it difficult to simply extend. If the league can be finished safely it's the best option but I don't think it's fair to damage next season to get this one finished. Everything will depends on what happens with this virus mind and things are not looking great in England.

I don't understand this thinking at all.  Why destroy a season that is two thirds done in order to protect a new one?  I don't see the logic in that.

I don't see the logic in destroying two seasons. My preferred option is to finish this season if at all reasonably possible. I don't think it will be though. I don't even think behind closed doors games are a good idea particularly if screened live because they are social events that will encourage people to congregate either outside grounds or at friends houses to enjoy. Then there's issues about the integrity of the competition. Not that it will matter to Liverpool but a team that goes down having had to play all its "home" games against relegation rivals will be rightly aggrieved if they've been put at a disadvantage versus their direct competitors. Likewise what about clubs who loose players who have already entered contracts to go elsewhere.

The other issue is that seasons don't exist in isolation one feeds into the next there's no point in finishing this season if for example the Europa league has to be scrapped because it can't be fitted in or the number of CL places is reduced.

The idea that TV money is a factor that dictates the season should proceed is also one that needs looked at. Most TV deals are multi years. You curtail next season and you likely have the same or potentially even a greater problem in terms of next seasons TV revenue.

I honestly do not think there's a fair way to resolve this at all (unless by some miracle the league can be finished safely and quickly) but for me the marginally fairer way and it's only marginal is to wait and see where we are in 2-3 months but to realistically look at voided this season.

Destroying two seasons should not happen, if there is goodwill and a can do attitude rather than an illogical push to void a season that could realistically be completed within 4-5 weeks once it is safe to do so. This season could be completed in a tournament format if needed (it seems to be an option on the table).  There are many options available for next season.  Hound has mentioned one option around shortening/compacting next season if needed.  A bit of creative thinking is needed rather than a fixed mindset that the new season always start in August and that's that. 

That's just, like your opinion man.

mackers

Are UEFA not declaring all leagues be played to a conclusion?  They wrapped the Belgian league for declaring Brugge as their winners and threatened them with expulsion from the Champions' League.  So declaring the season null and void is not an option at this point.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

David McKeown

Quote from: Armamike on April 04, 2020, 11:30:21 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on April 04, 2020, 10:14:39 AM
Quote from: Armamike on April 03, 2020, 02:30:55 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on April 02, 2020, 09:43:45 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on April 01, 2020, 04:46:40 PM
Opinions on how this season is going to be resolved/finished?
Will Liverpool win the league?

Liverpool deserve the title but I can't see a fair way to end this. Players who have signed contracts to go else where might find it difficult to simply extend. If the league can be finished safely it's the best option but I don't think it's fair to damage next season to get this one finished. Everything will depends on what happens with this virus mind and things are not looking great in England.

I don't understand this thinking at all.  Why destroy a season that is two thirds done in order to protect a new one?  I don't see the logic in that.

I don't see the logic in destroying two seasons. My preferred option is to finish this season if at all reasonably possible. I don't think it will be though. I don't even think behind closed doors games are a good idea particularly if screened live because they are social events that will encourage people to congregate either outside grounds or at friends houses to enjoy. Then there's issues about the integrity of the competition. Not that it will matter to Liverpool but a team that goes down having had to play all its "home" games against relegation rivals will be rightly aggrieved if they've been put at a disadvantage versus their direct competitors. Likewise what about clubs who loose players who have already entered contracts to go elsewhere.

The other issue is that seasons don't exist in isolation one feeds into the next there's no point in finishing this season if for example the Europa league has to be scrapped because it can't be fitted in or the number of CL places is reduced.

The idea that TV money is a factor that dictates the season should proceed is also one that needs looked at. Most TV deals are multi years. You curtail next season and you likely have the same or potentially even a greater problem in terms of next seasons TV revenue.

I honestly do not think there's a fair way to resolve this at all (unless by some miracle the league can be finished safely and quickly) but for me the marginally fairer way and it's only marginal is to wait and see where we are in 2-3 months but to realistically look at voided this season.

Destroying two seasons should not happen, if there is goodwill and a can do attitude rather than an illogical push to void a season that could realistically be completed within 4-5 weeks once it is safe to do so. This season could be completed in a tournament format if needed (it seems to be an option on the table).  There are many options available for next season.  Hound has mentioned one option around shortening/compacting next season if needed.  A bit of creative thinking is needed rather than a fixed mindset that the new season always start in August and that's that.

I don't think I said it had to start in August but it would need to start pandemic permitting. The other issue I have is that I don't see the point in finishing a season if the integrity of the competition is impinged. Is it really finishing the season if you change the format half way or 78% or whatever it is through. Is it really fair to deprive teams of CL and Europa league spots next season because you wouldn't be able to fit them in anymore because you are waiting to finish a previous season.

There's no fair option for me so what's the best alternative ? Very difficult to know and when you look at everything in 2 months it may change again. The point I'm making is I don't think there's an obviously fairest way. If I had my way I'd award Liverpool the title and void everything else.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

BennyCake

David, I don't think you can just award Liverpool the title and forget about everything else. Yes, they would have won the title anyway, but there'll always be an asterix next to it, and I don't think even Liverpool fans would be entirely happy with that. If you're awarding winner, then you need to sort out promotion/relegation/European spots.

If the new season doesn't start in August as planned, they're already behind schedule from day 1. If there's another wave of the virus, the new season might be postponed for another 2/3 months, or longer. Euros are in 2021, so doubt they'd get 20/21 finished before all that. That'd be 2 seasons unfinished. Better to get 19/20 finished up, and look at condensing 20/21... maybe 19 games instead of 38, or scrapping a cup or two.

David McKeown

Quote from: BennyCake on April 04, 2020, 12:43:46 PM
David, I don't think you can just award Liverpool the title and forget about everything else. Yes, they would have won the title anyway, but there'll always be an asterix next to it, and I don't think even Liverpool fans would be entirely happy with that. If you're awarding winner, then you need to sort out promotion/relegation/European spots.

If the new season doesn't start in August as planned, they're already behind schedule from day 1. If there's another wave of the virus, the new season might be postponed for another 2/3 months, or longer. Euros are in 2021, so doubt they'd get 20/21 finished before all that. That'd be 2 seasons unfinished. Better to get 19/20 finished up, and look at condensing 20/21... maybe 19 games instead of 38, or scrapping a cup or two.

That's the great unknown if the virus is going to mess up next season anyway then scrap it and finish this one. If however the virus was all gone by August and wasn't going to impact next season then it shouldn't be sacrificed and with all the difficulties that would cause just to facilitate an end to this season. If of course the virus is going to disrupt it anyway then I go the other way and say finish this season and declare next years null and void and replace it with something completely different.

The point about Liverpool was just simply to show that I'm not in support of voiding this season just to deprive Liverpool the league. They deserve the league and I don't care if they are awarded it. I don't think there would or should be any asterix anymore than than there would be by forcing teams to compete at neutral venues or with different players that might come if the season has to be concluded at any cost. I have a genuine reason and circumstance were my preference is to void this season.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Boycey

Sad to see Liverpool's billionaire owners joining the other shitehawk owners in looking for the government to pay their way for them in this time of crisis. Amazingly Utds have resisted so far, won't last I'd say.. 

GiveItToTheShooters

You don't know whether you're coming or going David, what a load of waffle.

Also Liverpool as a club have every right to let the torys pay out on their furlough scheme. They've done Liverpool no favours in the past.

No mention that Liverpool are also going to make up the remainder of staff wages, with the help of voluntary player wage deductions, so that all staff members receive full pay.
No mention either of the large donation to food banks in Liverpool and other North West regions and a player-led donation to the NHS.

But shame on Liverpool ::)

Gabriel_Hurl

It's a joke what they are up to.

square_ball

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on April 04, 2020, 04:44:40 PM

Also Liverpool as a club have every right to let the torys pay out on their furlough scheme. They've done Liverpool no favours in the past.

No mention that Liverpool are also going to make up the remainder of staff wages, with the help of voluntary player wage deductions, so that all staff members receive full pay.
No mention either of the large donation to food banks in Liverpool and other North West regions and a player-led donation to the NHS.

Take the tinted glasses off. It's ok to support Liverpool and still think this is not right what they are doing.
Fair play to them for all the things you mention that they do and from reports what Henderson and Milner have been doing behind the scenes. But it's ok to criticise for something that's not right.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Boycey on April 04, 2020, 04:28:22 PM
Sad to see Liverpool's billionaire owners joining the other shitehawk owners in looking for the government to pay their way for them in this time of crisis. Amazingly Utds have resisted so far, won't last I'd say..

Absolute joke...

I imagine this will not go down well with the majority of Liverpool fans...

Surely there is a rule in play that can prevent PL clubs from participating in this scheme....

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: square_ball on April 04, 2020, 05:35:35 PM

Take the tinted glasses off. It's ok to support Liverpool and still think this is not right what they are doing.
Fair play to them for all the things you mention that they do and from reports what Henderson and Milner have been doing behind the scenes. But it's ok to criticise for something that's not right.
I would criticise if i didn't think it was right.
They have every right to make use of the furlough scheme as a business, considering the tories have never had Liverpool's back in the past. Let them pay 80% of LFC staff wages. The government wouldn't be in such a bad position if they had've funded the NHS properly in the first place so let them tear away, it's not Liverpool's fault, and they're not obliged to do anything either.
If the the players want to make their own donations that's up to them, and no doubt as it is in conjuction with the club it will exceed the government cost and more. Nothing to see here.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on April 04, 2020, 05:57:18 PM

They have every right to make use of the furlough scheme as a business, considering the tories have never had Liverpool's back in the past. Let them pay 80% of LFC staff wages. The government wouldn't be in such a bad position if they had've funded the NHS properly in the first place so let them tear away, it's not Liverpool's fault, and they're not obliged to do anything either.
If the the players want to make their own donations that's up to them, and no doubt as it is in conjuction with the club it will exceed the government cost and more. Nothing to see here.

It's not the Tories paying. It's me and anyone else that pays tax. Do you know who else will pay?  The NHS next year as huge cuts come on board to pay for all these 80 percents. It's not free money.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

STREET FIGHTER

I dont think the 80% payment contribution scheme was implemented to support BILLIONAIRE football club owners....

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 04, 2020, 06:13:43 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on April 04, 2020, 05:57:18 PM

It's not the Tories paying. It's me and anyone else that pays tax. Do you know who else will pay?  The NHS next year as huge cuts come on board to pay for all these 80 percents. It's not free money.
The UK government just written off a £13.4 billion NHS debt with the click of their fingers the other day. If it's not free money then why are they suddenly able to write off debts? Ah sure let them go to the printer and print off a few more billion to keep them going  ::)

quit yo jibbajabba

Ye can call a spade a spade while still supportin a team. On the face of it seems like v poor form.

Be a pile of other billionaires take advantage so hope they all get the same abuse as what Henry and co will get..