The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

But in fairness all down the years Liverpool very rarely are at the top table in terms of transfers. What normally happened was that they got players just before they hit their peak, and that's going back to when we were winning leagues!  They didn't buy stars, they created stars. The likes of Torres and Saurez were fair from the finished article when they joined us.

J70

Quote from: The Stallion on February 01, 2016, 08:48:22 AM
Quote from: J70 on February 01, 2016, 01:44:56 AM
Quote from: The Stallion on January 31, 2016, 09:51:24 PM
I'm a wee bit surprised so few people have realised Klopp isn't up to the job yet. Seems to escape a lot of criticism due to his personality.

Yeah, you've said that already on the thread.

How the hell can you draw that conclusion after three months, with what is obviously a horribly unbalanced squad, missing three of his four strikers, and a fourth striker who cost a fortune but who is hopelessly ill-suited for the type of players and play around him?

Weren't you the lad telling us a while back that Michael Murphy isn't much of a forward?

A few things which point to the fact he hasn't a clue:

1. Giving Mignolet a new contract
2. Choosing to let Lucas on a football pitch
3. Celebrating a draw like it was a Cup final
4. Buying the awful Caulker and playing him as a striker repeatedly
5. Thinking it's a good idea to play Milner, Lucas and Henderson in a winnable game at home.

A decent manager would have Liverpool a lot closer to fourth, even with the dross in the squad.

Let's break it down point by point:

1. Giving Mignolet a new contract does not mean that he can't bring in a better goalkeeper if he deems it necessary. You need more than one (in case you hadn't noticed, Liverpool's number 2 keeper was an utter disaster when given a chance). Doesn't stop him selling him either if he doesn't improve.
2. Lucas has played well this season overall. And its not like Liverpool have a lot of options in the centre of midfield.
3. The West Brom thing was something he did repeatedly at Dortmund. Maybe he got carried away at the extremely late rescue of a point. Maybe he was trying to make a point to the team and the crowd about keeping going until the death. A couple of weeks before that he was lamenting the crowd leaving early after Palace scored with ten minutes to go. Yes, it was unorthodox and not in keeping with the English mentality and left him open to mocking, but so what?
4. Caulker came on as a striker in the last few minutes of three games when they were searching for a goal. The long up and under worked against Arsenal, didn't it? Caulker was involved in the last second goal that Lallana got against Norwich, wasn't he? Shit player, but Liverpool needed cover at centre back at a desperate time, and throwing bodies up front worked on two of the three occasions when Caulker did come on as a sub in those circumstances.
5. The most recent winnable home game I can see where those three played was against United. Liverpool dominated that game in midfield and missed a few very scorable chances and did not remotely deserve to lose. Besides, the options were Ibe, Teixeira and Allen. Ibe is young and inexperienced and needs to learn to lift his head, Allen is much of a muchness, albeit not as good, and Teixeira is too lightweight. But no doubt you'll tell us what the team SHOULD have been.

So, no, I see no evidence there that "he doesn't have a clue".

Merely a manager with a poor squad, a shitload of injuries and a lot of games trying to make the best of it until the summer comes and he can start wheeling and dealing a bit. If after a couple of years, things are still shit, then maybe you'll have a point.

The Stallion

Sorry, but I had to stop reading when I reached this bit:

"Lucas has played well this season overall"

Startling that anyone could genuinely believe that lol.

gawa316

Quote from: The Stallion on February 01, 2016, 11:30:34 PM

I actually think you would be in the minority with that view

J70

Says more about your blinkered bias than it does about any realistic assessment of his performances.

trueblue1234

Quote from: J70 on February 02, 2016, 01:10:55 AM

Says more about your blinkered bias than it does about any realistic assessment of his performances.

Anyone who thinks that Lucas hasn't played well this season either hasn't seen many full games (He mightn't pop up that much in the highlights, but the work load he gets through is excellent) or doesn't have a clue. TBH I think it's a little from  column A and a little from column B for you Stallion. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

blewuporstuffed

The Stallion is quite obviously a WUM
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

laoislad

Quote from: The Stallion on February 01, 2016, 01:48:51 PM
I agree he should be sacked. Tactics, performances and transfer/contract activity to date have been generally awful.

However I'm not available to replace him. Thanks for thinking of me though.
So now that we know  you can't take the job, have you any suggestions on who should replace him? 
Roy Hodgson might be free after the Euros.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

I think Lucas has been grand. But I maintain he makes too many silly fouls in and around the box, and his passing is very limited and erratic. He should be a squad player, and someone who does a job for you when you are under pressure.

I like him, and I think he's been a great trier, but he's not the quality you need to really push on.

sambostar

Quote from: heganboy on February 01, 2016, 10:20:25 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 01, 2016, 07:54:31 PM
Problem is Heganboy, you aren't looking at it objectively.

I wholeheartedly agree!

while a few of the names you mention are close to the level I was (blindly) hoping for, not all, for me, would count. Ozil, Di Maria and Sanchez are definitely recognizable names and are of the global names level that Liverpool would do well to recruit, though Ozil maybe the only unqualified success. Liverpool's recent transfers have been at best tier 2, though more tier 3 if we are removing the blinkers. Klopp clearly has the name to attract players that Brendan did not, but those key players will be hard come by. The summer will see what we have in store for the next few years...
So you don't consider Sanchez a success?? He's just back from 10 games out injured yet still has double-figures in terms of goals for the season. Himself & Ozil hopefully now leading Arsenal on a title-push, something that's a pipe-dream for Liverpool

laoislad

Quote from: heganboy on February 01, 2016, 05:58:44 PM

Quote from: thewobbler on February 01, 2016, 05:43:42 PM
But if anything approaching a world class "brand" player is willing to come to the EPL, then his agent is going to knock on Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal first.

Agreed on that- however if LFC make the right bid there for that calibre of player- for those 2/3 then the game changes with Klopp.

Not sure that Arsenal or United currently have that wow factor any more than marginally ahead of Liverpool, and Chelsea is a wait and see model too. MCFC have just made a massive move...

edit- and MCFC just announced 150M quid available to Pep.

also see Cheryshev went to Valencia- great move by Neville- he would have been a great acquisition for most PL teams- not Liverpool though
With the calibre of player Pep will be after £150million might only buy him two or three players.  It would be 3 Sterling's for example.
We should offer them £10mill to take Sterling back!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 02, 2016, 10:35:33 AM
I think Lucas has been grand. But I maintain he makes too many silly fouls in and around the box, and his passing is very limited and erratic. He should be a squad player, and someone who does a job for you when you are under pressure.

I like him, and I think he's been a great trier, but he's not the quality you need to really push on.

All true.

But in the absence of a realistic option...

heganboy

Quote from: sambostar on February 02, 2016, 11:00:25 AM

So you don't consider Sanchez a success?? He's just back from 10 games out injured yet still has double-figures in terms of goals for the season. Himself & Ozil hopefully now leading Arsenal on a title-push, something that's a pipe-dream for Liverpool
Sanchez has been great, like Coutinho. However i used the term unqualified success. Ozil is another class for Arsenal  (at the moment) maybe coutinho and sanchez can make that last step up, heres hoping, 2 great players.
Di Maria was the other example i gave and he is now flying at PSG.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Boycey

Quote from: laoislad on February 02, 2016, 01:19:16 PM
Quote from: heganboy on February 01, 2016, 05:58:44 PM

Quote from: thewobbler on February 01, 2016, 05:43:42 PM
But if anything approaching a world class "brand" player is willing to come to the EPL, then his agent is going to knock on Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal first.

Agreed on that- however if LFC make the right bid there for that calibre of player- for those 2/3 then the game changes with Klopp.

Not sure that Arsenal or United currently have that wow factor any more than marginally ahead of Liverpool, and Chelsea is a wait and see model too. MCFC have just made a massive move...

edit- and MCFC just announced 150M quid available to Pep.

also see Cheryshev went to Valencia- great move by Neville- he would have been a great acquisition for most PL teams- not Liverpool though
With the calibre of player Pep will be after £150million might only buy him two or three players.  It would be 3 Sterling's for example.
We should offer them £10mill to take Sterling back!

It might buy him f**k all, the transfer market is going to go nuts this summer. Look at yesterday Stoke paid nearly £20m for one player and several clubs were willing to go to £25m for Berahino and West Brom didn't even sell....

Walter Cronc

Comparing Coutinho to Sanchez. Are you wise!!

Ozil class at the moment? He's been class since returning from that injury last season.