The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: laoislad on December 20, 2015, 05:55:37 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 20, 2015, 05:47:47 PM
There is going to be a fair auld scramble this year for 3rd and 4th. Even the Auld Spuds could have a chance of getting a place. In fairness it's great to see. Too many years of same old same old. Good for the game to see Chelski, Man U, Liverpool and to a lesser extent Man C get a poke in the eye from the lesser lights.
It would disappointing with the way things are going at the moment if one of Watford,Palace or especially Leicester didn't make Europe.
I said way back Liverpools best chance of Champions League was via the Europa League. I still believe that.

To be honest it is a nicer way (via the Europa). You have won Silverware! Finishing 3rd/4th can be sterile! The gas thing is Man u could be an obstacle via this route!  I wonder at what position do the Europa winners go into Champions League? Do they still have to go through Qualifying rounds? 

The thing is, with Liverpool they will have to focus on one or the other Europa/top 4. With a limited squad you cannot focus on both. Or you will end up not doing well in either.

laoislad

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 20, 2015, 06:46:07 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 20, 2015, 05:55:37 PM
There is going to be a fair auld scramble this year for 3rd and 4th. Even the Auld Spuds could have a chance of getting a place. In fairness it's great to see. Too many years of same old same old. Good for the game to see Chelski, Man U, Liverpool and to a lesser extent Man C get a poke in the eye from the lesser lights.
It would disappointing with the way things are going at the moment if one of Watford,Palace or especially Leicester didn't make Europe.
I said way back Liverpools best chance of Champions League was via the Europa League. I still believe that.

To be honest it is a nicer way (via the Europa). You have won Silverware! Finishing 3rd/4th can be sterile! The gas thing is Man u could be an obstacle via this route!  I wonder at what position do the Europa winners go into Champions League? Do they still have to go through Qualifying rounds? 

The thing is, with Liverpool they will have to focus on one or the other Europa/top 4. With a limited squad you cannot focus on both. Or you will end up not doing well in either.
Straight in as a seeded team I think. Sevilla didn't have to go through the qualifying stages anyways.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Owenmoresider

The last six seasons have been 4th twice, 5th three times and 6th once (and that was under Sherwood ffs). Course we've a bloody chance, have a solid manager and squad's more settled than before, have fallen short for one reason or another in the past but perhaps with the problems certain other clubs are enduring maybe the team can get back into top 4 this time.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Owenmoresider on December 20, 2015, 10:39:45 PM
The last six seasons have been 4th twice, 5th three times and 6th once (and that was under Sherwood ffs). Course we've a bloody chance, have a solid manager and squad's more settled than before, have fallen short for one reason or another in the past but perhaps with the problems certain other clubs are enduring maybe the team can get back into top 4 this time.

Its the last part of the season when spurs flop!..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: heganboy on December 20, 2015, 02:32:56 PM
Firmino anonymous, ibe maybe a decent option. Complete lack of drive. No invention. No control of the game

That's the biggy right there. Only caught the first half, but there needs to be a fair old clear out of the half hearted brigade.

AZOffaly

I only saw about 20 minutes of it, but the 20 I saw was as bad or worse as anything Rodgers' team exhibited. The initial enthusiasm is well and truly worn off, and Klopp has a big job on. I do like the way he goes about his business, so if he can rejig the team into the sort of outfit he likes, we'll be grand. But if you see that sort of spinelessness you'd have to worry.

Firmino is just not at the races yet. Coutinho is still too inconsistent. Lallana is a busted flush. It's beginning to look like Benteke is going to be a third wheel, just as I feared when he was bought.

Did ye see Bogdan shitting himself going for that ball in the penalty area in the first half.  It sort of dropped between the forward, Skrtel and the Goalie, about 8 yards out. He was there ahead of everyone by a good yard, and was too scared to catch it. Punched it and nearly conceded another goal. You're getting an opportunity to stake a claim for a place, as people are losing faith with the incumbent, and you do that.

Forget it. Get the f**k out of town.

brokencrossbar1

I didn't see the game as I was watching a good team (Cross minors for anyone interested).  There is a lot of work to be done though.  New Keeper,  new centre back, at least 1 and maybe 2 MFs, a winger and a striker.  I would be willing to work with Firmino and Benteke if they are willing to work as they have just made big moves and there's a settling in period expected in most cases.  Lallana frustrates the hell out of me as does Coutinho.  They seem to only be able to do it against 'big' teams.  Lucas is past it,  Can is not there yet but will make it. 

Ah f**k it,  it would really piss you off as they had 3 good opportunities in the last few weeks and shit the nest.

On a positive note the young Serbian lad Grujic has agreed.  I won't say i know much about him apart from a few YouTube clips but he looks like a very decent prospect.  A centre mid in the Gerrard mold I reckon and has scored 5 goals this year from midfield.  He's being loaned back till the end of the season as Red Star are pushing for the League but he will be here in the summer.

deiseach

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 21, 2015, 10:10:49 AM
On a positive note the young Serbian lad Grujic has agreed.

That's the best we can do? Oh Jesus.

Hound

Quote from: deiseach on December 21, 2015, 10:36:16 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 21, 2015, 10:10:49 AM
On a positive note the young Serbian lad Grujic has agreed.

That's the best we can do? Oh Jesus.
Have we ever had a successful "yugoslavian"?
Big Igor still the best of them (which isnt saying much!) or am I forgetting someone?

AZOffaly

Vladimir Smicer's goal in 2005 would put him up there for me. Does  he count?

JoG2

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 21, 2015, 11:38:20 AM
Vladimir Smicer's goal in 2005 would put him up there for me. Does  he count?

and the fact he left the team party early and arrived with a big bag of cans to celebrate with the fans on the street to the wee hours...legend !

AZOffaly

I know he's Czech, but maybe he's Slavic blood :)

deiseach

I knew if we gave you long enough you'd come up with some face-saving explanation ;)

Vladi is definitely one for the cult hero category. Put in some great shifts in European games. I remember thinking before the 2005 final that, if Liverpool were going to play one up front, he would have been a better bet in the midfield than Kewell. I was right.

Hound

No we're not including Czechoslovakians!

Although probably Smicer, Berger and Skrtel all better than the best Yugoslavian.
Berger being the best of the 3 by a distance.

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on December 21, 2015, 11:50:45 AM
I knew if we gave you long enough you'd come up with some face-saving explanation ;)

Vladi is definitely one for the cult hero category. Put in some great shifts in European games. I remember thinking before the 2005 final that, if Liverpool were going to play one up front, he would have been a better bet in the midfield than Kewell. I was right.

They're all the same. Blasted Johnny Foreigner. :)