The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

Quote from: Minus15 on January 13, 2015, 08:28:36 PM
Quote from: Minus15 on November 23, 2014, 07:05:53 PM
If Rodgers was to be sacked, it would be undeserved and premature. I would think that last season would allow him the time to turn it around. He could turn it around. Just look at Pardew and Allardyce.

Do I think Rodgers will turn it around? I have to say I am fast losing faith. Poor signings, poor performances and I think he is struggling with how to rotate and deal with a heavy schedule.

The main weakness for me at the moment is his lack of a reaction to the obvious. The team can't defend, is rudderless, lacks any sort of organisation yet he persists with the same underperformance personnel and tactics. Some players are performing far below their best and things are usually the other way around with Rodgers. He needs to react soon and bring in a defensive coach.

Only 5 points off top 4 after 12 games so it can be turned around, but the signs are not good and they are probably more likely to fall further behind than catch up. If that happens, the calls to bring Rafa back could gain in momentum. I am already beginning to wonder if that would be a better option.

Here we are, 9 league games later and it appears that Rodgers has steadied the ship at the very least. Drastic times (4 defeats on the trot) called for drastic measures and despite seemingly taking time to react, Rodgers has changed things. He started by making us hard to beat and then tried to bring back the spark of last season with a change to the 3-4-2-1 formation and the solid base of Lucas in midfield. Progress has certainly been made. Whilst we are still 5 points off top 4, we seem to be on an upward curve and just need to keep that form going. The race for the top 4 will be all about momentum and if we can keep the run going and get Sturridge fit, we could sneak in there. Some of the new signings look like they are starting to settle too so things are promising. I would still like to see 1 or 2 new faces who can make an impact straight away. Credit to Rodgers as he has a team working again when 2 months ago it appeared that his time may be coming to an end.

Upturn in form has coincided with the return of Lucas as you say, Coutinho regaining his form and more worryingly, the absence of Lovren from the team. Not ideal given how much we spent on him and the idea that he was supposed to be the mainstay of the defense for years. He does seem to spread unease among his partners which is strange given he is probably the best with the ball at his feet. His positioning seems to be suspect.

Sakho and Skrtel seem more solid (relatively speaking, its not exactly Maldini and Cannavaro) and Can has fitted into the system well when required.

Another couple of wins in January, ideally with a Wembley final to look forward to and things will look a lot more positive.

Minus15

Tabclear, you're right in that the Lovren situation is strange. He does seem to be very uneasy but we must remember that his starts came when he was afforded little to no proper protection in front of him. Rodgers seems to think that getting a top quality centre half in will fix their defensive problems but it is more down to the system to make you solid and hard to beat rather than the players.

Now that the players ahead of the defence are doing more pressing and making life difficult for the opposition, the defence are being given a fighting chance. Maybe Lovren was so effective at Southampton due to the protection of Wanyama and Schneiderlin in front of him. Sure look at them now, they don't miss him at all, best defence in the Premier League. Does that mean we go and sign Fonte or Aldeweireld? I hope not! But maybe soon Lovren could slot into the new system and look more the type of player we hoped he would be. Can in that position has been good in terms of bringing the ball out and for starting attacks but against the best teams and as we progress in Europe and out and out defender may be best.

brokencrossbar1

DS15 back in training in Melwood with a ball at his feet!  Good stuff!!

brokencrossbar1

Ibe back from Derby too, and Origi likely to be back by the end of the month.  Like having 3 new signings with DS back fit. 

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 15, 2015, 03:37:42 PM
Ibe back from Derby too, and Origi likely to be back by the end of the month.  Like having 3 new signings with DS back fit.

Not back till the end of January according to reports.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on January 15, 2015, 03:40:16 PM

Maybe but still coming back.  Even if he only gets 6-7 games between now and the end of the season he is still a great option off the bench.  Serious strength and pace for a young man

JoG2

deiseach

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 15, 2015, 03:26:50 PM
DS15 back in training in Melwood with a ball at his feet!  Good stuff!!

He's about to fall over there. Only one way it can end.

AZOffaly

I'm just waiting for the Echo newsfeed to say he's out for another 3 months with a strained eyebrow or something.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on January 15, 2015, 03:40:16 PM

Confirmed that it is with immediate effect. 
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/178207-ibe-recalled-from-derby-loan-spell

You wonder how that impacts on the overall squad structure as he isn't being brought back to play in the reserves.  Maybe it means that Borini is gone as well. Hopefully so as I don't think he offers enough even though he works hard. 

See the club has picked up £700k from Hull getting Tom Ince from Blackpool.  Even though it was a free they have to pay compensation of £2m because of his age and liverpool pick up 35% if that, money for old rope!!!

quit yo jibbajabba

offsets what we overpaid for Big Andy almost completely  ;D

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on January 15, 2015, 07:59:18 PM
offsets what we overpaid for Big Andy almost completely  ;D

Almost!!!  We have though doubled our money on Assaidi which is amazing really!!!

heganboy

Delighted to see Liverpool's number 9 put 2 past Real today. You can't help but root for the guy.

https://twitter.com/Coutinhoooo97/status/555805616544174080
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: heganboy on January 16, 2015, 12:59:05 AM
Delighted to see Liverpool's number 9 put 2 past Real today. You can't help but root for the guy.

Whatever about the medals he may have won in Chelsea he's only ever felt at home in Madrid and Liverpool.  He would have been worth a punt I reckon if Madrid hadn't come in for him.

Mikhailov

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 16, 2015, 08:47:47 AM
Quote from: heganboy on January 16, 2015, 12:59:05 AM

Whatever about the medals he may have won in Chelsea he's only ever felt at home in Madrid and Liverpool.  He would have been worth a punt I reckon if Madrid hadn't come in for him.

Agree with this - think we should have took a punt on him especially for little money outlay.

Can someone explain the following;

Ben Arfa cannot sign for Nice as he will have played for 3 clubs in 1 season (Newcastle, Hull and Nice) but Torres can do it and he played for AC, Chelsea and AM

How does this rule work or does it apply differently in each country....