The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

Quote from: J OGorman on August 17, 2014, 11:05:31 PM
Just watched the highlights. Pretty porous in midfield with the saints having more chances to win the thing. 3 points in the bag though

Also, what in unner jayzus is the craic with those feckin luminous football boots?!

Never a fan of those. Too easy to get picked out of a crowd, at least in the past. Now the plain black boots arfe the exception.

Watched an Aussie Rules game last night on ESPN and its safe to say the commentators are not fans of how they have crept in over there. Some of the comments are hilarious,

deiseach

I was looking forward to a blizzard of links to Liverpool's shittiest results. Maybe next week.

Joe Blob

Bit of a shaky start for Liverpool but 3 points in the bag which is the main thing. Lallana and Markovic to come in will improve creativity going forward. Also means when Coutinho is having an off day there are options to replace him.

If I never seen Lucas and Johnson in a Liverpool starting 11 again it will be too soon. 

AZOffaly

I think Sterling up the middle is a decent option too. How about a 4.3.2.1 of

Mignolet

Manquillo Lovren Skrtel Moreno

Gerrard     Can

Henderson              Lallana
            Sterling 

Sturridge

To be honest, I think quite quickly this season, Stevie G needs to become a role player. If Can is the real deal, I'd nearly prefer Can and Henderson in that area, with Markovic, Lallana. Sterling and Coutinho fighting to make up the forward 3 behind Sturridge.

If course if they bring in Falcao or Lavezzi, it's even more options. It's exciting anyway!

God14

I think Johnson actually performs better at left back these days than on the right. He is not the player of 3 or 4 years ago, but still a useful squad option. He has become a scapegoat for a lot of the twitterati, probably compounded by the fact that he is running down his contract for a final big payday bosman move next summer.

Lucas is horrible. I was actually gutted when I realised he'd made the starting 11. Maybe Emre Can wasn't fit enough, but I fail to understand how Lucas edged out Allen for that starting birth. Even Suso would have been a much better option. Or dropping Coutinho deeper and starting Jordan Ibe.. there were many better options.

I genuinely wonder did Rodgers start him to get him in the shop window for a transfer? I cant see us flogging him though. He is too slow & cumbersome for the premier league & la liga. No one would take him. The only place where he might look ok is Italy, and they are miserly bar stewards.

So we're stuck with him  :-\

Joe Blob

A bit better than right back maybe but seeing as he is absolutely diabolical playing right back that's not hard. Has easily been our worst player in the last 14-16 months.

I can't believe Liverpool have spent approx £100m and there were starting places for Johnson and Lucas yesterday.  They need dropped asap. When both Flanagan and Moreno are available I wouldn't have Johnson on the bench for that matter.

Allen came on and did exactly what I expected him to do......look twice the player of Lucas.   

AZOffaly

Quote from: Joe Blob on August 18, 2014, 12:25:51 PM
A bit better than right back maybe but seeing as he is absolutely diabolical playing right back that's not hard. Has easily been our worst player in the last 14-16 months.

I can't believe Liverpool have spent approx £100m and there were starting places for Johnson and Lucas yesterday.  They need dropped asap. When both Flanagan and Moreno are available I wouldn't have Johnson on the bench for that matter.

Allen came on and did exactly what I expected him to do......look twice the player of Lucas.

This is a bit of a red herring though. Moreno was not an option, and he surely would be. Can is, I presume, injured or carrying a knock? They are two of the £100m straight away and would fill those places. Add in Lallana and Markovic as well, and you're down 4 players of that £100m. I thought Lovrens and Manquillo did well.

Joe Allen is a grand squad player, and at this stage better than Lucas. Lucas has really sunk back into the mire from his great displays a couple of years ago. He looked quite forlorn yesterday. The fact he let that Southampton lad run by him for the goal was a real black mark, because whatever else you got from him (bad passing, silly fouls) you at least got workrate. He looked to me like a lad that knows he is gone.

Joe Blob

I knew he wasn't an option yesterday. I was looking forward to when him and Flanagan will be options and surely it will spell the end for Glen Johnson.

I was impressed with Maquillo at right back.  If he continues to play like that he will make that position hiw own. Enrique, Flanagan, Johnson will surely be back ups.

New striker this week would be nice. Would give us a bit of extra belief going into the City match on Monday night with extra firepower at our dispsal.

AZOffaly

What was the consensus on Lovrens? I thought he was commanding, calm and assured. Read the runs well, made interceptions and used the ball well. Then when Southampton got the run on us, he looked like he was struggling to hold it all together. Overall I was impressed, and thought he looked the part, but we need to protect the back 4 a bit better.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 18, 2014, 01:08:49 PM
What was the consensus on Lovrens? I thought he was commanding, calm and assured. Read the runs well, made interceptions and used the ball well. Then when Southampton got the run on us, he looked like he was struggling to hold it all together. Overall I was impressed, and thought he looked the part, but we need to protect the back 4 a bit better.

It's just Lovren.
Yeah very impressive. Agree that back 4 needs better protection.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on August 18, 2014, 01:12:18 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 18, 2014, 01:08:49 PM

It's just Lovren.
Yeah very impressive. Agree that back 4 needs better protection.

He's as good as two men though.

Joe Blob

I was delighted when we signed Lovren as I rate him very highly. He impressed yesterday but Liverpool can defend a lot better overall. We were pedestrian in midfield and that piled the pressure on the back 4 as Southampton gotr behind us time and time again. This all comes back to Lucas but I'll keep that can of worms closed for now!

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Joe Blob on August 18, 2014, 01:14:12 PM
I was delighted when we signed Lovren as I rate him very highly. He impressed yesterday but Liverpool can defend a lot better overall. We were pedestrian in midfield and that piled the pressure on the back 4 as Southampton gotr behind us time and time again. This all comes back to Lucas but I'll keep that can of worms closed for now!

Well it's more than just Lucas. Gerrard doesn't have the legs to plug the holes in front of the back 4 especially when the
full backs push up. Lucas isn't dynamic enough to cover him. Hopefully Can will replace Lucas asap.
I can't understand why Lucas started either. The thought had crossed my mind too that he was there to show
potential suitors that he still works! Don't think Rodgers would do that in a league game though.

supersub

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on August 18, 2014, 01:40:47 PM
Quote from: Joe Blob on August 18, 2014, 01:14:12 PM

Well it's more than just Lucas. Gerrard doesn't have the legs to plug the holes in front of the back 4 especially when the
full backs push up. Lucas isn't dynamic enough to cover him. Hopefully Can will replace Lucas asap.
I can't understand why Lucas started either. The thought had crossed my mind too that he was there to show
potential suitors that he still works! Don't think Rodgers would do that in a league game though.

Thought Lucas in was strange too. Can must not have been right. Sterling was good and Sturridge was there when we needed him while not effective most of the game. No one really shone. Lovern was solid, Skrtel was alright. Lambert caused a bit of hassle for the defence when he was introduced, did well to keep the move alive for the winner too with a nice touch. Early days, 3 points, no panic.

Walter Cronc

I think you Liverpool men are over-hyping this Can fella!

He's maybe not that good, yet!