The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Bingo on June 25, 2014, 03:10:27 PM
When you have Danny Mills calling for him to be jailed, it really is interesting times.

Them Brazilian jails are horrific places as well.

Brazilian jailbirds take a right shine to people from U-r-gay.

J70

Quote from: deiseach on June 25, 2014, 03:03:33 PM
Quote from: supersub on June 25, 2014, 02:53:02 PM
True, he has, but I always fear he is going to trip the switch at some point!! Hard to know what to think at this stage as a Pool supporter. Realistically if he scores a hatfull this season no one will give a toss about the bite. Will he be afforded the chance to do so is the question.

The hope for Liverpool supporters is that any ban applies only to internationals. Liverpool didn't get to use Suarez's appearances in the Confederations Cup last year against his ten-match ban, and Josip Simunic playing away for his club despite getting a ten-match ban for his Nazi cheerleading at the playoff against Iceland didn't make a 'mockery' of the overall ban. Unfortunately I think there might be head of steam building up to really make an example of him. We live in interesting times.

When you have Danny Mills calling for him to be jailed, it really is interesting times.

Jailed??  ;D

Rossie11

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 25, 2014, 02:30:16 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 25, 2014, 02:10:39 PM
As per usual AZ is a beacon of sense in the storm of crap. My view is similar with this slight caveat. I think Liverpool FC made a woeful mistake endorsing and indulging Suarez over the rascism. The club was plain wrong in that and the supporters too (they still boo Evra - I assume they still believe he made it up or something??).

Every time he gets in trouble the same defense is trotted out. Denial, even in the face of clear evidence to the contrary. The media are out to get him. He's a great player really. It's never his fault. If Liverpool had made him accept his responsibility in the first big case things might have been different. That would be my gripe with Liverpool.

There is much sense to that, and I think Liverpool themselves would acknowledge that they handled the Evra incident poorly, from a PR perspective as much as anything. The very fact that he went out and refused to shake Evra's hand the next day, after assuring Dalglish that he would be grand, was really poor form and let down the club badly after it had stood by him (rightly or wrongly).

I think Liverpool handled the Ivanovich and the Transfer stuff last year a lot better.

He's just a hard man to manage obviously, and his own worst enemy. But what options are open to Liverpool after this will be interesting. How can you trust him not to do something similar again? And make no mistake, if he gets in trouble in England again he will be hammered with a massive ban. Even if not for biting, for anything deemed worthy of opprobrium.

And to deiseach's point, at what point is it more profitable in the long run to dispose of an asset, versus keeping him, hoping to generate revenue via success on the pitch and allowing his value to depreciate? There is a point for all players where that tips to the other side, but if that asset is also devaluing himself because of other factors, it becomes a very tricky question.
I said here last night that I believed that point was last summer. Based on this ban they may have gotten away with it until now but this really is last chance saloon.. not for Suarez but for Liverpool to get shut of him for half decent money.

laoislad

Yeah but you just don't like him Rossie and you never have!
What does Martin think of it all?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: J70 on June 25, 2014, 03:18:06 PM
Quote from: deiseach on June 25, 2014, 03:03:33 PM
Quote from: supersub on June 25, 2014, 02:53:02 PM
True, he has, but I always fear he is going to trip the switch at some point!! Hard to know what to think at this stage as a Pool supporter. Realistically if he scores a hatfull this season no one will give a toss about the bite. Will he be afforded the chance to do so is the question.

The hope for Liverpool supporters is that any ban applies only to internationals. Liverpool didn't get to use Suarez's appearances in the Confederations Cup last year against his ten-match ban, and Josip Simunic playing away for his club despite getting a ten-match ban for his Nazi cheerleading at the playoff against Iceland didn't make a 'mockery' of the overall ban. Unfortunately I think there might be head of steam building up to really make an example of him. We live in interesting times.

Jailed??  ;D

From BBC http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28010967

Danny Mills: "It has to be the longest ban in football ever. A worldwide ban, not just an international ban.

"It is the third time it has happened and it is a clear bite this time, in a tournament of this magnitude, the most watched tournament in the world. They have got to throw him in jail and lock him up forever."

Danny Mills on Alan Pardew http://www.teamtalk.com/premier-league/9195009/Danny-Mills-on-overreaction-to-Alan-Pardew-headbutting-David-Meyler

"We've got to be realistic, this is a sporting venue and things happen inside grounds that do not happen out on the street. They're not bound by the same rules. Whether you like it or not, that's life.

"It doesn't condone what Alan Pardew did, it was still wrong, but I think we have to be careful not to turn it into a witch hunt."

heganboy

the other way to look at this is as a business where the footballers you have under contract are assets. No matter what you think of the moral code of the Fenway group, and how Rodgers has handled the previous form of Suarez, this is all about the business of Liverpool Football club.
Forbes values LFC at 456M GBP. Suarez's transfer value is likely somewhere between 45 and 90 M GBP. Thats  10 - 20% of the value of the entire club. No business can survive by giving that away to a competitor without proper compensation and expect to survive no matter how troubling the asset (if it can be managed). There is no way that Suarez staying at Liverpool could reduce the value of the club, the fans will still come, and unless the sponsors pull out (unlikely on a biting incident, perhaps another racist incident would be different) then there really is no way Liverpool will take any action which will negatively impact that value.
It is that value that will allow better funding rates for the new stadium, it is that value that allows funding for new transfers. There is no good will (or any other intangible asset)  generated that would make up for the loss of the clubs single most valuable tangible asset. Liverpool will do whatever it takes to look after Suarez, not only for the man, the player, but also or maybe only because of the duty of care for the club itself and its value to the Fenway Group.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Rossie11

Quote from: laoislad on June 25, 2014, 03:25:32 PM
Yeah but you just don't like him Rossie and you never have!
What does Martin think of it all?

No I never have but I have mellowed to him the past few months.. Should have known it wouldn't last..
He is torn... Loves Pool and Italy in equal measure.. text him that Lambert is now looking a great buy.. he has been looking for someone the last month who agrees with him!!

Denn Forever

He's one sandwich short of a picnic
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 25, 2014, 04:34:14 PM
He's one sandwich short of a picnic

He is one man I wouldn't bring on a picnic.

Especially if I was short of sandwiches.
MWWSI 2017

Collie Brolly

Quote from: laoislad on June 25, 2014, 03:12:01 PM
Quote from: Collie Brolly on June 25, 2014, 02:04:00 PM
The pathetic toing and froing between United and Liverpool fans is childish beyond belief.I predicted on this thread that Gerrard and Rooney would go missing in the world cup and it came to pass.Gerrard and in fact England must be delighted with Suarez behaviour as it has taken a bit of the heat off their final failure in this competition.Gerrard,who's not particularly big and f@$&!#? hard had his traditional terrible big tournament outing and people are amazed?
He's made a career out of it.
One thing I can't figure out is the reaction to see if he retires or not.As if it will make a difference either way.
I guess the point in bold could be accepted if you hadn't have spent the rest of your post having a go at the Liverpool captain.

Just pointed out his latest tournament failure.Hardly havin a go.It's all factual.
I think Rodgers should cash in on Suarez if a big offer comes in.Everybody's replaceable.

EC Unique

Be interesting to see how much he gets and how it is spent...

QuotePhil Thompson has condemned Luis Suarez for bringing fresh "shame" on Liverpool and believes selling him would now be the club's best option.

Suarez and Uruguay have until 9pm on Wednesday evening to respond to FIFA after the striker was accused of biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini during Tuesday's World Cup group fixture.

The Liverpool forward played down the incident following his side's 1-0 win - a victory that saw them progress to the last 16 - but Sky Sports pundit Thompson, a former Reds captain and assistant manager, believes the alleged incident, will cut deep with Anfield officials who supported him following previous transgressions.

Suarez was banned for 10 matches in 2013 for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic and in 2010, while playing for Ajax, he was given a seven-game suspension for biting PSV Eindhoven's Ottman Bakkal.

"I was devastated when I saw the pictures, I was thinking: 'Please don't let this be happening again'," Thompson told Sky Sports News.

"You start thinking of the support the guy has had - from Brendan Rodgers, from (owner) John Henry, from the fans; most of them have stuck by him through thick and thin and it is like a smack in the face to everybody.

"This is not the British media, the world's media is talking about this. He is playing for my football club and he's brought embarrassment, he's brought shame on the football club again.

"He's the Footballer of the Year, the Players' Player of the Year, the Football Writers' Player of the Year. We thought he'd sorted himself out but this is a massive shock."

Suarez has reportedly set his sights on a summer move to Spain - La Liga rivals Real Madrid and Barcelona both apparent suitors - just six months after signing a new long-term deal at Anfield.

And though the 27-year-old scored 31 goals as Liverpool ran Manchester City close to the Premier League title, Thompson believes his latest bite storm could prompt club officials to cash in.

"He wanted a move last summer but the club stood strong and assured him we could achieve success together," Thompson added.

"He was a fantastic player for all the right reasons, which is why I feel he's let us down. Will Barcelona and Real Madrid still want him with all this baggage? I think they'll still covet him and i think that would be a good get-out for Liverpool.

"I think this (transfer specualation) was going on in the background anyway so it might make life easier for (managing director) Ian Ayre, Brendan Rodgers and John Henry."

FIFA has refused to speculate about possible punishments for Suarez but regardless of the ruling body's conclusion, Thompson has urged Suarez to seek professional support.

"He needs help," Thompson said.

"We accept as part of the game, as awful as it sounds, elbows, bad tackles, but spitting and biting is not right. No matter what comes of this, someone, wherever he plays his football, needs to get to the bottom of his actions."

deiseach

Quote from: Collie Brolly on June 25, 2014, 04:37:37 PM
Just pointed out his latest tournament failure.Hardly havin a go.It's all factual.

deiseach

Tommo confirming once again why he should never play poker.

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on June 25, 2014, 05:08:10 PM
Tommo confirming once again why he should never play poker.

Reminds of Patrick Honohan shafting Lenihan when he was secretly meeting the IMF.
MWWSI 2017

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Collie Brolly on June 25, 2014, 04:37:37 PM
Quote from: laoislad on June 25, 2014, 03:12:01 PM
Quote from: Collie Brolly on June 25, 2014, 02:04:00 PM
The pathetic toing and froing between United and Liverpool fans is childish beyond belief.I predicted on this thread that Gerrard and Rooney would go missing in the world cup and it came to pass.Gerrard and in fact England must be delighted with Suarez behaviour as it has taken a bit of the heat off their final failure in this competition.Gerrard,who's not particularly big and f@$&!#? hard had his traditional terrible big tournament outing and people are amazed?
He's made a career out of it.
One thing I can't figure out is the reaction to see if he retires or not.As if it will make a difference either way.
I guess the point in bold could be accepted if you hadn't have spent the rest of your post having a go at the Liverpool captain.

I think Rodgers should cash in on Suarez if a big offer comes in.Everybody's replaceable.

Gerrard was probably Englands best player at the 2010 world cup.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either