The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 15, 2014, 12:02:06 PM
Any comment in general over what was done to the Liam Whelan memorial in Dublin over the weekend? A few of ye have been onto the United thread condemning it, but in general the silence on this thread is deafening.

I don't get thus attitude. Why is there a burden on anyone here to condemn what was plainly the  brainless work of some teenage morons? Are we all collectively responsible? Will platitudes make you feel better? Is your opinion of the Liverpool supporters here that low that all of us need to pass a test by offering apologies and condemnation of yet another act of juvenile vandalism.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 15, 2014, 12:39:25 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 15, 2014, 10:22:15 AM
I'll never forget it, and I wasn't within an ass's roar of England, never mind Leppings Lane or Hillsborough. It didn't affect me directly, and I didn't know anyone there. Thanks be to God. I was down in a friends house and was watching it on the small telly in his kitchen. Beardsley, I think, hit the bar and I remember oohing and aahing. Then the camera;s showed people coming onto the pitch down the far end. Initially I thought it was a hooligan thing, as Heysel was still fresh in my mind, and we were fairly pissed off. But within minutes it became clear the clamour at the the fences was not fighting, it was people trying to get out. You could see the terror on their faces, as they were pushed against the fence. I can still see their faces. It was horrible. Absolutely shocking. I remember my friend;s dad standing behind us and saying those people are dying. It was brutal. Some of the newspaper images the following days were particularly harrowing. I remember a girls face, almost blue, and knowing she must be dead. To imagine something like that happening on a sunny spring day at an FA Cup Semi Final is unbelievable, and no less sickening today than 25 years ago. RIP to all of them, and JFT96.

I came on here to write pretty much a similar thing to what you wrote there. Remember it very clearly, watching it at home on TV. Live matches on TV were few and far between so there we were on a glorious sunny day in the sitting room with the curtains pulled so we could see the TV better. Couldn't believe what was happening when it eventually became clear the enormity of the situation. I remember thinking that time sort of stood still. As a young lad I was thinking "take down those f**king barriers, get ambulances in" for what seemed like ages until it finally happened. I remember scores of people being lifted upwards by other supporters on the top tier to try in vain to relieve the pressure. A terrible, terrible tragedy. RIP.

If I recall, a long time after the tragedy began, a single ambulance was allowed onto the pitch. I remember the Forest fans booing at the start, thinking it was hooliganism, and then applauding as they watched Liverpool fans using advertising hoardings to carry off the injured and (we now know) the dead. I remember watching the line of police along the halfway line on horseback, obviously keeping the fans apart, and thinking how long will they keep that up for while people are being hurt in front of them. I do remember (maybe my memory is confused) a couple of policemen at the barrier desperately trying to help people over the barrier. But most of all I remember being numb watching the thing unfold. I was on my mother's couch and called her in a few times to tell her - I don't know what - but I knew something terrible was unfolding in front of me.

RIP.
MWWSI 2017

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: muppet on April 15, 2014, 02:10:24 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 15, 2014, 12:39:25 PM
I'll never forget it, and I wasn't within an ass's roar of England, never mind Leppings Lane or Hillsborough. It didn't affect me directly, and I didn't know anyone there. Thanks be to God. I was down in a friends house and was watching it on the small telly in his kitchen. Beardsley, I think, hit the bar and I remember oohing and aahing. Then the camera;s showed people coming onto the pitch down the far end. Initially I thought it was a hooligan thing, as Heysel was still fresh in my mind, and we were fairly pissed off. But within minutes it became clear the clamour at the the fences was not fighting, it was people trying to get out. You could see the terror on their faces, as they were pushed against the fence. I can still see their faces. It was horrible. Absolutely shocking. I remember my friend;s dad standing behind us and saying those people are dying. It was brutal. Some of the newspaper images the following days were particularly harrowing. I remember a girls face, almost blue, and knowing she must be dead. To imagine something like that happening on a sunny spring day at an FA Cup Semi Final is unbelievable, and no less sickening today than 25 years ago. RIP to all of them, and JFT96.

I came on here to write pretty much a similar thing to what you wrote there. Remember it very clearly, watching it at home on TV. Live matches on TV were few and far between so there we were on a glorious sunny day in the sitting room with the curtains pulled so we could see the TV better. Couldn't believe what was happening when it eventually became clear the enormity of the situation. I remember thinking that time sort of stood still. As a young lad I was thinking "take down those f**king barriers, get ambulances in" for what seemed like ages until it finally happened. I remember scores of people being lifted upwards by other supporters on the top tier to try in vain to relieve the pressure. A terrible, terrible tragedy. RIP.

If I recall, a long time after the tragedy began, a single ambulance was allowed onto the pitch. I remember the Forest fans booing at the start, thinking it was hooliganism, and then applauding as they watched Liverpool fans using advertising hoardings to carry off the injured and (we now know) the dead. I remember watching the line of police along the halfway line on horseback, obviously keeping the fans apart, and thinking how long will they keep that up for while people are being hurt in front of them. I do remember (maybe my memory is confused) a couple of policemen at the barrier desperately trying to help people over the barrier. But most of all I remember being numb watching the thing unfold. I was on my mother's couch and called her in a few times to tell her - I don't know what - but I knew something terrible was unfolding in front of me.

RIP.

I was 10 when it happened.  I remember seeing it on the TV at the time and people were talking about disgraceful hooligans again.  Once it became apparent what was happening it was harrowing to watch.

It's heartbreaking to think about the excitement and euphoria about going to a match, quickly changing to horror.  Those poor families.

Terrible to think about how the government, papers and police tried to tarnish the fans in the aftermath.

RIP

Bord na Mona man

Some of the newspaper images the following days were particularly harrowing. I remember a girls face, almost blue, and knowing she must be dead.
There was one peroxide blonde girl in stonewashed denim who featured in a couple of striking and widely published photos as she was pressed right up against the terrace cages.

Believe it or not, she survived and was interviewed some time after in the papers.

BarryBreensBandage

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Kidder81

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on April 15, 2014, 12:30:15 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on April 15, 2014, 12:21:54 PM
+ 1.
The amount of Irish surnames on that list.

Yes and the ages of the victims.
R.I.P

78 of the 96 under 30 years of age, I think there were at least two sets of siblings that died.

RIP

Carmen Stateside

RIP the 96
Espn 30 For 30 show tonight in states is about the hillsborough disaster.  Should be a good piece of work. 8pm et

Tony Baloney

I went to my first Liverpool match on 26th March 1989 at White Hart Lane. I would assume some of those in the away crowd that day were to visit Sheffield 3 weeks later and not return home. RIP.

gawa316

Can not imagine what those fans attending that day went through and the subsequent grief, heartache and ignorance the survivors and families have had to endure thereafter.

Rest in Peace everyone one of you.

JUSTICE FOR THE 96.

Carmen Stateside

Had ESPN show recorded, but just finished watching. A must watch for any sports fan. Brilliantly done.

gawa316

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on April 16, 2014, 04:51:12 AM
Had ESPN show recorded, but just finished watching. A must watch for any sports fan. Brilliantly done.

Any idea when it's getting repeated or where it can be watch online?

God14

I would expect we will hear some news on the extent of Sturridges injury. Im fearful to be honest. James Pearce of the Liverpool echo tweeted on Sunday ''The way Sturridge limped through mixed zone earlier, I'd be surprised if he features v Norwich next weekend''

Assuming he is not available, and Henderson is out, it will be very interesting to see what line up Rodgers goes with at Norwich. The four candidates to come in for the two spots would be Lucas, Allen, Moses & Aspas. I think its fair to say Lucas & Allen are favourites to start.

Id be tempted to retain the diamond midfield shape, but push Sterling forward into Sturridges striker role, and move Coutinho into the attacking point of the Diamond. Leaving Allen & Lucas sitting in front of Gerrard. Sterling has had a lot of joy finding space between the lines lately, so in an ideal world you would keep him there. On the other side of the coin - his pace is superior to Torres & Owen in their prime. Youd fancy him to get in behind the Norwich defence. And you'd hope that Coutinho, Suarez et al would be able to find him.
It might be our best bet on Sunday.

On another note I hate these awl midday kick off's. They often lead to slower paced games.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: God14 on April 16, 2014, 08:53:24 AM
I would expect we will hear some news on the extent of Sturridges injury. Im fearful to be honest. James Pearce of the Liverpool echo tweeted on Sunday ''The way Sturridge limped through mixed zone earlier, I'd be surprised if he features v Norwich next weekend''

Assuming he is not available, and Henderson is out, it will be very interesting to see what line up Rodgers goes with at Norwich. The four candidates to come in for the two spots would be Lucas, Allen, Moses & Aspas. I think its fair to say Lucas & Allen are favourites to start.

Id be tempted to retain the diamond midfield shape, but push Sterling forward into Sturridges striker role, and move Coutinho into the attacking point of the Diamond. Leaving Allen & Lucas sitting in front of Gerrard. Sterling has had a lot of joy finding space between the lines lately, so in an ideal world you would keep him there. On the other side of the coin - his pace is superior to Torres & Owen in their prime. Youd fancy him to get in behind the Norwich defence. And you'd hope that Coutinho, Suarez et al would be able to find him.
It might be our best bet on Sunday.

On another note I hate these awl midday kick off's. They often lead to slower paced games.

That's the formation I would favour assuming Sturridge doesn't play.

laoislad

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on April 15, 2014, 09:05:02 PM
Roberto Martinez, take a bow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZtj-GPJIJ0
Excellent. Any time I have seen him interviewed he comes across so well.
Honestly hope he gets Everton into Champions League.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.