The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Can't believe there's even any debate on the 2nd penalty yesterday. It's a simple question. Was Flanagan fouled, yes or no?

If it's yes it's a penalty.

For the record he was clearly fouled. The keeper nearly pulled the boot and sock off him ffs. Getting a slight touch on the ball doesn't mean you can just drag down the player afterwards.

AZOffaly

I don't think it was GBB, but sure hardly matters now. How often have we heard 'he got a touch on the ball' when justifying a penalty Not being given, even if the defender makes contact afterwards.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 07, 2014, 02:52:45 PM
I don't think it was GBB, but sure hardly matters now. How often have we heard 'he got a touch on the ball' when justifying a penalty Not being given, even if the defender makes contact afterwards.

It's not like the keeper inadvertently made contact with him as he couldn't stop his own momentum though. He actually grabs hold of his leg briefly. You just can't do that. Without the leg grab he might have got away with it.

AZOffaly

Maybe. I still thought it was soft, and I'm sure Flanagan was surprised it was given.

Muck Savage

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 07, 2014, 02:46:33 PM
Can't believe there's even any debate on the 2nd penalty yesterday. It's a simple question. Was Flanagan fouled, yes or no?

For the record he was clearly fouled. The keeper nearly pulled the boot and sock off him ffs. Getting a slight touch on the ball doesn't mean you can just drag down the player afterwards.

Rose coloured Glasses come to mind or should I say Red Coloured Glasses.

I think the majority of Liverpool football minded people will acknowledge that Liverpool got a very dodgy penalty.

Bingo

Quote from: Muck Savage on April 07, 2014, 05:52:49 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 07, 2014, 02:46:33 PM

Rose coloured Glasses come to mind or should I say Red Coloured Glasses.

I think the majority of Liverpool football minded people will acknowledge that Liverpool got a very dodgy penalty.

A lot of debate on it, it was questionable rather than dodgy. On MOTD2 last night, Neil Lennon said it was a peno, while Hartson said it wasn't. I could see why it wouldn't be given and why it could, the keepers trailing hand on the back of the leg after his touch couldn't have helped him.

On a related note, Sturridge should have scored in the follow up but keeper just did enough to put him off.

Armamike

The replay clearly showed the keeper grabbing Flanagan's leg.  How could this not be a penalty?

Great to get out of there with a win. The whole build up around Carroll was a bit tedious (and worrying).  Ex players always seem to make life hard and Carroll was on a mission yesterday.  This win leaves Liverpool with a shot at the title now - lose that game yesterday and the gloss was taken off for the Man city game.  Sunday now takes on the feel of a title showdown.  City can afford to draw this, Liverpool simply have to win - anything less and City would have to throw it away.
That's just, like your opinion man.

gawa316

Quote from: Armamike on April 07, 2014, 08:27:13 PM

Great to get out of there with a win.

Exactly I've been entertained enough this season and will take scrappy ass wins from here on in, even if I will probably die of heart failure.

Did you hear Gerrard saying that West Ham did everything to put them off...heating on in the changing room, didn't water the pitch and the coach had to park a mile away. Wonder does this stuff go on very often?

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: gawa316 on April 07, 2014, 10:09:19 PM
Did you hear Gerrard saying that West Ham did everything to put them off...heating on in the changing room, didn't water the pitch and the coach had to park a mile away. Wonder does this stuff go on very often?

I was at a tour round QPR in February and they were saying that when Neil Warnock was there he got them to alter the seats in the away changing rooms so that there was a tilt towards the ground from back to front. This meant that the players legs didn't get a chance to rest as there was constant pressure on the calf and thigh.

'Arry changed them back to horizontal.

haranguerer

Probably cos at the rate he moves round clubs he reckons he'll spend more time in there in future than the home one...

AZOffaly

It's common enough I think. You often hear stories about pitches being over watered for cup ties, essentially turning them into a bog. I think Brian Clough used to alter the width of the pitch depending on who he was playing, especially in Europe.

blewuporstuffed

ive heard stories of club Gaa teams doing the same.
Narrowing their home pitch to compact the game as much as possible as they play with a few big men through the middle!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Mayo4Sam

Could do with Chelsea qualifying this evening
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2014, 11:31:37 AM
It's common enough I think. You often hear stories about pitches being over watered for cup ties, essentially turning them into a bog. I think Brian Clough used to alter the width of the pitch depending on who he was playing, especially in Europe.

Did the Crazy gang at Wimbledon not f**k Liverpools playing kit into the bath before a game years ago?