The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 27, 2014, 01:10:03 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 27, 2014, 01:06:18 PM
Its still Rodgers success - a good manager will identify areas of improvement and work on those, be it physically or mentally.

I think theres a massive difference between a few group sessions with a psychologist, and having a full time psychologist who is able to spend time individually with players. Group sessions have to be general, so will be limited, while reinforcement is usually a key part of it, again not really feasible with the odd session. The psychology of everything is so important - whats surprising is that its still seen as a bit 'airy-fairy'

I agree with you to an extent but the experience I had was that the psychologist was saying the same thing as the management,  using the same language etc and I felt it was money wasted getting her in.  There was nothing new added to the mix but it was a limited sample to base an opinion upon.  It is becoming more mainstream nowadays but in sport and also in the corporate field and it obviously is worthwhile.

You know the rules BC1  :)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 27, 2014, 01:42:53 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 27, 2014, 01:10:03 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 27, 2014, 01:06:18 PM
Its still Rodgers success - a good manager will identify areas of improvement and work on those, be it physically or mentally.

I think theres a massive difference between a few group sessions with a psychologist, and having a full time psychologist who is able to spend time individually with players. Group sessions have to be general, so will be limited, while reinforcement is usually a key part of it, again not really feasible with the odd session. The psychology of everything is so important - whats surprising is that its still seen as a bit 'airy-fairy'

I agree with you to an extent but the experience I had was that the psychologist was saying the same thing as the management,  using the same language etc and I felt it was money wasted getting her in.  There was nothing new added to the mix but it was a limited sample to base an opinion upon.  It is becoming more mainstream nowadays but in sport and also in the corporate field and it obviously is worthwhile.

You know the rules BC1  :)

Trust me,  not worth it!!!

AZOffaly

If it was worth it, I bet you'd have listened more and got more out of it. :D

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 27, 2014, 01:46:59 PM
If it was worth it, I bet you'd have listened more and got more out of it. :D

That would have been worse!!!!  I've seen physios losing their roles because they were a 'distraction'  ;)

Hound

Quote from: laoislad on March 27, 2014, 10:25:06 AM
Quote from: Bensars on March 27, 2014, 09:37:52 AM

It was Flanagans man alright but i think its being a bit unfair on the defender. It Should have been dealt with before it got his length by two experienced international centre backs. I would'nt hold him entirely responsible.  Simply a case of being caught on the hop. 99 times of of 100 Agger and Skytel would have dealt with it.
Yeah 99 times out of a 100 Agger or Skrtel would have cleared it but you have to be ready for the 1 time they don't and Flanagan wasn't.  I'm not knocking him but he was at fault for the goal imo.
Speaking as someone who played left/right back for many years in the dizzy heights of the Kilkenny & District League  ;D you would have been shot for leaving your man unmarked like that.
Don't know who was supposed to be marking O'Shea but that was also criminal to leave him with a free header.

Seriously lads, 99 clearances out of 100 for Skrtel and Agger?? Given they missed the next one also to go 0 for 2 in the space of a few minutes, they must be due 198 clearances in a row to get their 99% success rate back up!

(It was Skrtel who was "marking" O'Shea btw for the missed sitter)

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnneycool on March 27, 2014, 01:13:47 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 27, 2014, 01:00:15 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 27, 2014, 12:48:04 PM
Quote from: supersub on March 27, 2014, 12:42:43 PM
You know you are in with a shout when every one of your games during April is being shown live on SS :-)

Anyone watch the programme on SS1 last night with Sturridge? Decent interview - Steve Peters seems to have worked wonders with him/the team as well as what Rodgers has done himself!

You have to wonder just how much the success at this stage is down to him as opposed to Rodgers?  I am a bit skeptical about pyschologists to a point as I have been in a few sessions with some highly regarded ones who basically told us the what we already were saying but Peters I think is a different animal altogether.  Here on in the mind as opposed to the body will win or lose it and he is the absolute key man in my book.

I'm currently reading Ronnie O'Sullivans book and he has quite a bit on this guy in it. Credits a lot of his success to him - if you see where he was going before him he seemed to be fading into oblivion but credits a lot to this guy. Turn off the emotional part of the brain seems to be his main theme...

With Ronnie you could see how someone steering his thought process could help him, and some of the Liverpool players may be of a similar disposition, but ultimately its can boil down to how good the manager is at interpersonal relationships to get some players on board. With the money they're earning now and how airy fairy contracts and agents are now using a stick to manage them isn't going to work.
Rodgers in all fairness does seem to have his head screwed on in this regard, whether he himself is getting a bit of coaching on this from Peters is still a sign of a good manager acknowledging what is needed and doing something about it.

Yep well Ronnie documents his thoughts and is obviously someone with a lot of self doubt who needs reassurance etc.

I would say in terms of egos it would be a hard enough job keeping Suarez and Sturridge happy and Rodgers has done well keeping them in check. Also when a player like Jordan Henderson is beginning to look like a flop and then turns it round into one of the better midfielders in the league I think Rodgers deserves some credit for that,

Denn Forever

I see there is a walk in the Phoenix Park on the 12th April in memory of the 96.  Organised by Dublin 15 Supporters club.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Captain Obvious

Crystal Palace beating Chelsea. Liverpool could go top of the table tomorrow.

laoislad

Fcuk me that was nerve wreaking.
Palace could have been 2 or 3 up.
Could do with the Arse beating City now.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

From the Bunker

heganboy

That was unreal.

West Bromwich Swansea finish was mental.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

dec

Quote from: heganboy on March 29, 2014, 04:56:28 PM
That was unreal.

All those Welsh teams look the same to me.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: hardstation on March 29, 2014, 04:51:21 PM
The stars are aligning.

This is going to be a very interesting finish. Good luck to Liverpool.
Liverpool have Chelsea at home they look good for second place at least. Manchester City still the most likely league winners however one slip up by them and Liverpool could sneak in.

heganboy

Quote from: dec on March 29, 2014, 04:58:14 PM
Quote from: heganboy on March 29, 2014, 04:56:28 PM
That was unreal.

All those Welsh teams look the same to me.

Goo point well made. That would have been west Bromwich cardiff
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on March 29, 2014, 04:53:09 PM
Fcuk me that was nerve wreaking.
Palace could have been 2 or 3 up.
Could do with the Arse beating City now.

Me & my beer belly are more likely to run a 15 minute 5k, than Arsenal are to win this evening.
MWWSI 2017