The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: stew on October 05, 2012, 02:38:47 PM
The media over here are starting to question Rodgers and feel he has blooded too many youngsters, I feel he will succeed if given the time and blooding the kids will stand to him in the years ahead.

The media over there are dying for the symmetry of Bobby Valentine and Brendan Rodgers getting the heave-ho at the same time. It might still happen - but not because the hacks wishful-think it.

stew

Valentine will be fine, he is an excellent manager, Rodgers will be around for a while and he should be, for feck sake he just took Liverpool over a few months ago and he is trying to change their style of play and use the youth set up to improve an aging squad.

He inherited a lot of dead wood and I would say Carragher will be done at this seasons end, he was a great player for Liverpool but he is clean done, he is one example.

Liverpool were famous for their managers longevity back in the day..............no more, they would do well to give the man three seasons, if they are not a top four team by that stage then they should look at him and make a decision, I think they will be, they are dominating games and Suarez is starting to bang in the goals.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

EC Unique

3 teams that have done well in the last medium to long term are Utd, Arsenal and Everton. All 3 teams have had the same long term manager who has control of most aspects of the club. BR needs 3 years at least to be judged and also needs decent funds in the transfer windows. Not sure if he will either.

Mentalman

Quote from: EC Unique on October 05, 2012, 04:42:59 PM
3 teams that have done well in the last medium to long term are Utd, Arsenal and Everton.

I think you're forcing the point including Everton? Perhaps relative to some pretty low days after their last glorious period at the end of the 80's, but even Moyes has flirted with relegation during his time. Chelsea of course are the other successful team during that period, but they don't sit well with the thesis.

Outside of Hodgson and the King, every Liverpool manager of the last 40 odd years has had at least 3 years, unless they walked themselves (Joe Fagan), most more. Roy was never the man for the job, brought in by the previous yanks. As for Kenny I think the current hierarchy owes him a huge debt of gratitude for going with the dignity which he did, he could have made it a lot more uncomfortable for them. The owners might have seen his appointment as a stop gap, I don't think Kenny ever did.

I was fearing for Rodger's longevity until the last couple of weeks myself, for instance if they are in the relegation places come Xmas I don't think the yanks could except it, never mind the fans. But I don't think that will happen, we can see the playing style evolving, tighten up the defense and the club will go a long way to getting into Europe, and even if Europe isn't achieved this year, but progress is made, both in clearing out the chaff and reducing the wage bill, and bringing through young talent (thank you Rafa), the Americans will wear it.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Bingo

3 teams that have done well in the last medium to long term are Utd, Arsenal and Everton. All 3 teams have had the same long term manager who has control of most aspects of the club. BR needs 3 years at least to be judged and also needs decent funds in the transfer windows. Not sure if he will either.

You got to be joking. They have done ok in that they have flirted with the European spots at times but have never been near the level of United, Arsenal or Chelsea.

Chelsea have done alright who have constantly changed managers.

The rest of your point I'd agree with.

Bensars

Rodgers is safe. It may take a while but there seems to be moves in the right direction.

I like the cut of his jib. Liverpool fans need to give him time to make something happen. Have the feeling he'll be there a very long time.

Main Street

I also rate Rodgers, he has a job on his hand but if not this season then next one I'd say he'll have Liverpool purring. The only reason I'd watch Liverpool play these days is Suarez, not only is he a superb front man but he's Liverpool's only creative midfielder when he drops in there to pick up the ball and drives the play foreword. On the earlier subject of Gerrard's value, there is no doubt that he has talents but what Liverpool need ahead of him is a technically gifted midfielder.
That was some free kick by Suarez, he made it look so straightforward, no get it up and down or big bend on the ball, just straight over the wall into the net.

EC Unique

Quote from: Bingo on October 05, 2012, 05:37:07 PM

You got to be joking. They have done ok in that they have flirted with the European spots at times but have never been near the level of United, Arsenal or Chelsea.

Chelsea have done alright who have constantly changed managers.

The rest of your point I'd agree with.

When I say done well I mean in terms of what he has available to him. I think what he has done with everton considering funds available and the fact that they are not a club that would attract big 'world class' players is very good. If everton had been chopping and changing managers they would have been in the championship for a couple of seasons in his term.

AZOffaly

He's winning me over I have to say, although I was always willing to give him time, but I am even more hopeful now.

Of course it will take time, and the results have been dodgy so far but
a) Attractive playing style, albeit missing the final killer touch.
b) Blooding youngsters
c) Dealing with the media. I think he gets the Liverpool job.

Of course he may fail, but I am happy so far.

superblues

had liverpool not an attractive playing style last season and were also missing the killer touch

Mentalman

Quote from: superblues on October 06, 2012, 03:45:58 PM
had liverpool not an attractive playing style last season and were also missing the killer touch

They were inconsistent last year in their style of play, I thought anyway, definitely not as good as the second half of the previous season (excluding the final 3-4 games), but, yep, they still missed a shed load of chances. This year, still missing the chances, but every game there's a consistency of style and, increasingly, of performance.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

GalwayBayBoy

You will be shocked to hear Liverpool dominated a game but couldn't put the ball in the opposition's net for love nor money. And hit the post 3 times of course.

Lord give me strength.

Sheedy

2pts from 1st 4 home games. just saying. ;D
nil satis nisi optimum

Minus15

Couldn't understand why Cole was used ahead of Borini. Thought we finished the game poorly and the subs made us weaker rather than stronger. Suso was doing rightly. Sahin had a poor outing.

GalwayBayBoy

I'll say this about Stoke. I think they'd actually do fairly well in the Heineken Cup.