The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on December 21, 2011, 10:21:08 AM
The facts of the case seem to be getting blurred at every turn. First we were led to believe that Suarez may have used the term "negrito". Based on Liverpool's statement where they question why Evra's word is being taken over Suarez, it would seem to suggest that they are disputing he said this at all.

Exactly, at this present minute all we know is that Suarez admitted calling evra what his teammates call him

BerfArmagh

"Liverpool have also accused the FA of double standards by failing to act against Evra for calling Suarez 'South American' and accused the defender of lacking credibility in his evidence." HILARIOUS... have a word with yourselves... its not the first time he has been accused of this type of thing, ye are as bad as Chelsea

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on December 21, 2011, 10:25:42 AM
I could be wrong, unlikely but possible, but I am beginning to think that Liverpools steadfast support for Suarez may also be motivated by showing Suarez they are "sticking up for him", if they didn't stand by him it wouldn't be beyonds the realms of possibility that you would have a transfer request in the summer, with that lack of support cited, regardless of it motivated the transfer request or not. Then again I am very cynical.

I think that's 100% And I think that's a correct move by them. If he was guilty of stupidity, then by standing by him they are at least vouching for his character in general. First thing I thought of when this charge was announced (not the verdict) was that Suarez might say 'f**k this' and head back to Spain or somewhere like that.

deiseach

Quote from: ludermor on December 21, 2011, 10:26:36 AM
I was expecting the PFA to be backing Suarez on this one

You can be sure Taylor was given a heads-up about what was coming down the tracks. At least, that's what I heard on his voicemail

Doogie Browser

Gordon Taylor is one of the most odious cnuts involved in the game, a sewer rat.

Denn Forever

Are the findings/transcripts of the hearing going to published? 

That will be interesting to finally pin down who said what and was the result based solely on Evra's testimony or Suarez's admission of using the word Negrito.

No problem with the ban but would be interested in the mechanics of how they reached their findings.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: supersub on December 21, 2011, 10:10:39 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 21, 2011, 09:33:19 AM
Quote from: Hashtag on December 21, 2011, 09:28:23 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 21, 2011, 09:26:02 AM
I think Liverpool's statement was ridiculous to be honest. Some of the phrases in there would make you embarrassed reading it. We like to slag Ferguson and Wenger when they say stupid, one eyed stuff, but this is as bad as anything they've done.

I think the best way for the club, and the supporters to handle this one is.

1. Recognise that, at the very least, what Suarez said (if it is the word) was at best ill advised and daft.
2. Support Suarez publicly by focussing on the fact that he is and never intended to be racist, but accepts that what he said could easily be taken that way and accept he was wrong.
3. Take the medicine on that basis.
4. Foster a Manchester United like grudge against the world and use it to drive the club on.

If I was at work, and called someone I was obviously having a row with, a word which they considered to be either racist, sexist or homophobic, then I'd be in exactly the same boat that Suarez found himself in.

I agree with everything in this post.

AZ you're too mature for this page.

I was just about to post, can a Liverpool fan give a reason why Suarez should've been found not guilty based on what they know, what's fact, and not contain the words 'John Terry'.

Well can any other person give a reason why he should've be found guilty based on what they know, what's fact, and not contain the words 'setting an example because he is a foreigner' bullshit.

I can't. I wasn't on the FA hearing panel that heard all the evidence. I can only assume that they have more evidence than is in the public domain.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

deiseach

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 21, 2011, 10:39:46 AM
I can't. I wasn't on the FA hearing panel that heard all the evidence. I can only assume that they have more evidence than is in the public domain.

So you think there's not enough evidence in the public domain to support the charge?

Minder

Liverpool have to decide what is more important, "making a stand" or fourth place in regard to taking the ban now (and absorbing "easy"/cup matches into it).

In the cesspit that is the EPL, there is only one option.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Quote from: Doogie Browser on December 21, 2011, 10:32:27 AM
Gordon Taylor is one of the most odious cnuts involved in the game, a sewer rat.

Most accurate thing said on the matter!

It is plainly obvious that "negrito" (or "whatever it was" as new devil puts it) is a common enough term in South America. Thiago Alcantara used it in a tweet within the last week or so. It is also plainly obvious that Suarez should have had a bit of cop on and realised that a) Evra is not from South America and b) that the connotations of the word could be interpreted differently in England. I've heard plenty of nonsense about people saying the term is a "variant of nigger". How can it be a variant in a different language? They have the same root Latin word is all.

There will now be absolute uproar if Terry is not found guilty (sorry!). Just as Suarez confirmed that he used the word "negrito", in whatever context, Terry has confirmed he used the word "black", in whatever context.

new devil

There seems to be a lot more evidence against Terry...So at the very least he should be looking at a 8 game ban...Anything less and the FA show themselves up for what they are..a joke

gallsman

Quote from: new devil on December 21, 2011, 10:53:07 AM
There seems to be a lot more evidence against Terry...So at the very least he should be looking at a 8 game ban...Anything less and the FA show themselves up for what they are..a joke

From my (admittedly limited) knowledge of the incident, it centres around the use of the term "black ****". Ferdinand alleges Terry called him one, Terry says Ferdinand accused him of calling him one and then responded with "I didn't call you a black ****". So he confirms (refuse to use the word "admit" as it automatically implies guilt) he uttered the phrase "black ****". Is there supporting evidence from other players?

It should be pointed out to people accusing Evra of playing the race card before that in both the Finnan and Chelsea groundsman incidents, Evra himself did not make the claim. The first came from couch-bound fans doing some amateur lip reading and calling the cops, the second came from Mike Phelan.

Bingo

Quote from: new devil on December 21, 2011, 10:57:52 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8957294/Luis-Suarez-racism-hearing-reputations-at-stake-as-panel-attempt-to-unravel-most-complicated-of-cases.html

It says in this article that he admits to calling him "negro"

Thats article was wrote on 15th December - Winter is the only one who has tried to outline what was and wasn't said. Think we need to wait to see the official report to see what was said.

supersub

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 21, 2011, 10:39:46 AM
Quote from: supersub on December 21, 2011, 10:10:39 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 21, 2011, 09:33:19 AM
Quote from: Hashtag on December 21, 2011, 09:28:23 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 21, 2011, 09:26:02 AM
I think Liverpool's statement was ridiculous to be honest. Some of the phrases in there would make you embarrassed reading it. We like to slag Ferguson and Wenger when they say stupid, one eyed stuff, but this is as bad as anything they've done.

I think the best way for the club, and the supporters to handle this one is.

1. Recognise that, at the very least, what Suarez said (if it is the word) was at best ill advised and daft.
2. Support Suarez publicly by focussing on the fact that he is and never intended to be racist, but accepts that what he said could easily be taken that way and accept he was wrong.
3. Take the medicine on that basis.
4. Foster a Manchester United like grudge against the world and use it to drive the club on.

If I was at work, and called someone I was obviously having a row with, a word which they considered to be either racist, sexist or homophobic, then I'd be in exactly the same boat that Suarez found himself in.

I agree with everything in this post.

AZ you're too mature for this page.

I was just about to post, can a Liverpool fan give a reason why Suarez should've been found not guilty based on what they know, what's fact, and not contain the words 'John Terry'.

Well can any other person give a reason why he should've be found guilty based on what they know, what's fact, and not contain the words 'setting an example because he is a foreigner' bullshit.

Well in that case I assume that Suarez is innocent and believe his word over Evras.