The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafa makes a fool of himself in another interview shock horror:

"Man Of The Match
You'd like to think that with the staggering sums of money being chucked around for transfers these days, managers would do their research thoroughly.

And it certainly looked that way yesterday, when Rafa Benitez was discussing potential Liverpool new boy Alberto Aquilani.

"I always remember one game - England versus Italy U21s at Wembley, and he was man of the match in a 3-0 win," said Rafa.

Sounds convincing. The only problem with that is England and Italy's Under-21s have played each other once at Wembley. That was the first game at the new stadium - a game that finished 3-3.

We suspect Giampolo Pazzini would be pretty peeved if he didn't get the man of the match award in that one, given that he scored a hat-trick.

And he'd be even more peeved to miss out to Aquilani, given that he didn't play that day.

Good to see Rafa has his thumb on the pulse. Good job he hasn't been given sole charge of Liverpool's transfer policy, eh?

Ah."

From http://msn.football365.com/mediawatc...476091,00.html

full back

Before taking the pish out of the fat spanish waiter I would need to see video evidence of this

It isnt in the link..................

*holds breath in anticipation*

slievegullion

Quote from: 689908 on August 07, 2009, 05:30:56 PM
Rafa makes a fool of himself in another interview shock horror:

"Man Of The Match
You'd like to think that with the staggering sums of money being chucked around for transfers these days, managers would do their research thoroughly.

And it certainly looked that way yesterday, when Rafa Benitez was discussing potential Liverpool new boy Alberto Aquilani.

"I always remember one game - England versus Italy U21s at Wembley, and he was man of the match in a 3-0 win," said Rafa.

Sounds convincing. The only problem with that is England and Italy's Under-21s have played each other once at Wembley. That was the first game at the new stadium - a game that finished 3-3.

We suspect Giampolo Pazzini would be pretty peeved if he didn't get the man of the match award in that one, given that he scored a hat-trick.

And he'd be even more peeved to miss out to Aquilani, given that he didn't play that day.

Good to see Rafa has his thumb on the pulse. Good job he hasn't been given sole charge of Liverpool's transfer policy, eh?

Ah."

From http://msn.football365.com/mediawatc...476091,00.html

Ah classic EC Unique.

EC Unique

Chrisowc

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 07, 2009, 10:14:26 AM
I was watching a programme the other nite of LFCtv (it's great that it is free ;D)  and they were showing the best signings of the 80's.  It was amazing and all that to see Barnes, Rush and all in their pomp.  The thing that struck me though was how good Beardo was.  I know he was fantastic but time has blurred things a small bit.  Anyway, where I am going is that when I clicked onto the youtube of Pacheo's goal I went into a few of the other clips against him.  His style and stature really reminded me of how Beardsley played.  Quick feet, clever eye and could take his goal.  I reckon that he needs a lot of game time this year against the lower level teams and in the cup ties.  I think if he can adjust to the pace of the game he is a real star in the making.

Something that King Kenny doesn't get credit for.  Buying Digger, Aldo, Beardsley and Houghton with the money we got for Rush. 

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

gawa316

Liverpool FC confirmed this evening that Alberto Aquilani has successfully completed a medical and agreed a five-year contract with the club. 
The player will now continue his rehabilitation from an ankle operation under the guidance of Liverpool's medical team and is expected to be fully fit in approximately four to eight weeks' time

That Aquaman t-shirt I bought a year ago will now get a few more outings

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

nice one.
a good player.
alonso will be hard to replace, but we have signed a good player at least.

HowAreYeGettinOn

The sale of Alonso has me depressed. The man was outstanding last season - even though he was manifestly rank for the two seasons before that.

With Benitez's new-found positivity of approach (i.e. going for wins rather than draws) after the 4-1 at OT, I was half-thinking that if he kept all the heavy-hitters from last year and took that positive approach into EVERY game, we'd win the title. Especially with United losing Ronaldo.

We can forget that now. Aquilani will take time to settle in, as every player joining a foreign club will. Liverpool can't afford that time. We need a serious start to the season to put pressure on United immediately.

If I were in Benitez's shoes I'd start Gerrard beside Mascherano in MF and play Babel alongside Torres in attack, for several reasons;

- Babel is not a proper winger. He fancies himself as an Henry, always cutting inside from the left and trying to dribble past everybody. Might as well throw him up front if he's going to do that anyway.

- Riera did enough last season to get the vote on the left wing. (With a word in his ear : stay wide - go on the outside, get to the end-line. Defenders hate that.)

- Kuyt. Sigh. I suppose if he's staying, we have to play him somewhere. He's too slow to be a striker so grand, put him on the right wing. Though a serious, proper right-winger would do wonders for this team. But we won't be getting one, will we?

DennistheMenace

If Alonso had stayed I'd have fancied Liverpool for the title, now I think Chelsea might pip them.

Alonso is a massive loss given his form of last year.

Chrisowc

Quote from: gawa316 on August 07, 2009, 09:03:47 PM
Liverpool FC confirmed this evening that Alberto Aquilani has successfully completed a medical and agreed a five-year contract with the club. 
The player will now continue his rehabilitation from an ankle operation under the guidance of Liverpool's medical team and is expected to be fully fit in approximately four to eight weeks' time

That Aquaman t-shirt I bought a year ago will now get a few more outings

Sums up the summer really.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

The Real Laoislad

Hold on......we have just bought a player for 20odd million who is injured  ???
You'll Never Walk Alone.

DennistheMenace

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 07, 2009, 11:35:40 PM
Hold on......we have just bought a player for 20odd million who is injured  ???

Happens a lot in football, the buying of an injured player that is.

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: charlie stubbs on August 07, 2009, 08:59:59 AM
Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 05, 2009, 10:30:19 PM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 05, 2009, 10:20:15 PM
Is Valencia fit to lace Ronaldo's boots ?

Whenver a star player leaves (only Gerrard and Torres would be a bigger loss to Pool) you have to fill that void as well as possible, it has happened this way for years, Ian Rush left they filled the gap with Aldridge.

Aquilani is a very good player it is how he adapts to the demans of England that will be important.
Short Answer:yes. Valencia was wanted by real madrid long before he went to wigan. A ronaldo-esque player who has been stifled by players of titus bramble's stature and now has a chance to shine. Aqualini is an expensive impact player and will not be fit to fill alonso's boots

as was jermain pennannt according to the press, they also signed julian faubert on loan. 

i havent saw much of aquilani i will admit and his injuries do slightly worry me but if rafa has forked out 20 mill for him he obv sees something in him.  he appears to get into the box more so hoping he can contribute a few more goals from that sector, though obv going miss alonsos range of passing.   lets not judge him before we have saw him play regularly in english league.  you seem to be another tinted glassess supporter..
Towards who?
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Hound