The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Quote from: laoislad on February 28, 2017, 11:22:32 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 28, 2017, 10:36:27 AM
Hendersons energy and drive was badly missed last night, but its a bad reflection on the rest of the squad that no one else could provide any sort of leadership.
I thought Wjnaldum was the only one to come out of last night with any degree of credit, but even at that, was just the best of a terrible collective performance.
Firmino was really poor again and has been now for a wile. That is Manes worst performance since he came to the club as well.
Hendo was missed alright, he's out of the Arsenal game also apparently.Can has been terrible for much of the season.

Agree re Can.  Far too laboured and ponderous.
That's just, like your opinion man.

AZOffaly

The Milner experiment/band aid at left back has also run its course now. Matip is grand when facing onto  a ball, but he's not very secure when either challenging in the air, or when someone runs at him.

I'm beginning to think the only hope is for some sugar daddy to come in with Hundreds of Millions to spend on a plaything.

Armamike

5 or 6 quality new starters needed.  Basically the spine of a team. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

Walter Cronc

They'll still beat the ultimate bottlers Arsenal on Saturday.

I wanted Klopp at the Emirates, now I'm not so sure. Give me a boring Italian/Portugese manager and trophies any day. Thought I'd never say that!!

AZOffaly

I am still a Klopp fan. I like the way he tries to get his teams playing, and I like the energy he brings, and I like the way he doesn't try and bullshit after a poor performance. I like that he seems to want to bring on young lads too.

I don't like how slow he is to change things on a match day, in terms of substitutions, and I don't like that he seems to have a blind spot on the pattern of these type of performances. I also don't like that he tried to give the players an 'out' by talking about schedule. I never believed tiredness was an excuse, and I think last night proves that was, at worst, just one factor.

I do think that the players he has brought in are generally good buys, Karius maybe aside, but I think we need more than fine tuning at this stage, and at least 3 or 4 starters are needed, strong, expensive leader types. We have flair players, and I like Henderson, but we need more leaders and more men that can battle. Otherwise we'll turn into a poor man's Arsenal, if we are not that already.

On a more positive note, I think the developments off the field are promising, with the upgraded stadium, and the training upgrade in Kirby, but they are seeds for long term, we also need to be competing now. We have the manager, we need the players, and we need the manager to bring consistency of effort and attitude to the players.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 28, 2017, 11:59:37 AM
I am still a Klopp fan. I like the way he tries to get his teams playing, and I like the energy he brings, and I like the way he doesn't try and bullshit after a poor performance. I like that he seems to want to bring on young lads too.

I don't like how slow he is to change things on a match day, in terms of substitutions, and I don't like that he seems to have a blind spot on the pattern of these type of performances. I also don't like that he tried to give the players an 'out' by talking about schedule. I never believed tiredness was an excuse, and I think last night proves that was, at worst, just one factor.

I do think that the players he has brought in are generally good buys, Karius maybe aside, but I think we need more than fine tuning at this stage, and at least 3 or 4 starters are needed, strong, expensive leader types. We have flair players, and I like Henderson, but we need more leaders and more men that can battle. Otherwise we'll turn into a poor man's Arsenal, if we are not that already.

On a more positive note, I think the developments off the field are promising, with the upgraded stadium, and the training upgrade in Kirby, but they are seeds for long term, we also need to be competing now. We have the manager, we need the players, and we need the manager to bring consistency of effort and attitude to the players.

Granted these are positive steps and I've seen them at Arsenal but unless you've an owner prepared to pay silly wages then forget about it. Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool wont match the other 3 because of this!

Taylor

Yet again Klopp shows his worth is not much more than BR.

Many posters here should be eating humble pie.

Unlike myself & stallion who called it like it is

Estimator

Quote from: Taylor on March 18, 2016, 10:33:06 AM
Two average teams with Liverpool better over two legs in the main because of a much better manager.
Man U are a pale shadow of themselves who are in deep deep shite as the squad is very poor.
Liverpool can only get better when Klopp moulds a team the way he wants.

Quote from: Taylor on April 15, 2016, 10:25:41 PM
Fantastic performance by Liverpool but no doubt it is a one off.
Can't do it over the course of a season at the moment but when Klopp gets a few of his own players in things could change

Quote from: Taylor on January 31, 2017, 03:40:00 PM
Even if Liverpool get a result tonight it means nothing in the grand scheme.

Hull are likely to do a number on them at the weekend.

This Klopp fella is not all he is made out to be.

Stallion was right all along

Quote from: Taylor on February 28, 2017, 12:31:12 PM

Fair play to you Taylor for calling it like it is... at the end of last month. Good work.  At least Stallion has been consistent in his viewpoint for quite some time.
Ulster League Champions 2009

AZOffaly

Taylor the wind vane :)

I'm sticking with Klopp! Although I did say Klopp Out when he was appointed!

bennydorano

Liverpool need a Roy Keane type in MF, but I tend to think that about most teams tbh.

heganboy

It's a hard slog being a Liverpool fan.

So there are murmurs (and some loud shouting - stallion) about Klopp. And I get the concerns, but I see this as a long term investment. Let's call a spade a spade, that squad is a few points ahead of where it should be based on the quality of the players, the keeper and the injuries, and the African cup of Nations.

You say Klopp is slow to change his formation/strategy, but do the team really have the collective strength to change? My hope is that a number of early summer deals are lined up. The truth is klopp's approach requires a hard working smart team with the ability to "carry" one or two flair players depending on opposition. Bluntly speaking we have a keeper and back line that wouldn't do a job at Palace. The midfield is 7/8 place and we are one striker away from greatness. I know that the Fowler/ rush/ Aldridge predator is no longer seen in the PL, but how many goals would they score a season with the kind of service Liverpool are completely unable to convert?

Klopp's reputation can attract the young and hungry players needed to play his way.  He gives youth a chance. That performance last night was heartless and rudderless and abject. Now I'd the time for the scouts to earn their money, and for FSG to put the money behind Klopp's name to convert some of those youngsters to Red Men. And I do think one big "name" would be worth every penny to lift fans, shirt sales, and the other players.
Oh, and take what you can for Can Coutinho and Sturridge.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Taylor

Quote from: Estimator on February 28, 2017, 01:04:13 PM
Two average teams with Liverpool better over two legs in the main because of a much better manager.
Man U are a pale shadow of themselves who are in deep deep shite as the squad is very poor.

Can't do it over the course of a season at the moment but when Klopp gets a few of his own players in things could change

Fair play to you Taylor for calling it like it is... at the end of last month. Good work.  At least Stallion has been consistent in his viewpoint for quite some time.

Thanks Estimator.

As I watched them through January I noticed he isnt all that. Showed promise last season and early part of this season but Premier League managers need results and it doesnt look like he is the man.

The problem is who should replace him?

The Stallion

Quote from: Estimator on February 28, 2017, 01:04:13 PM

Thank you. I have indeed consistently been pointing out Klopp's shortcomings for well over a year. And yet, despite all the evidence, there are still large numbers of Liverpool supporters who genuinely believe Klopp is a brilliant manager.

I've read all manner of excuses being made for his disastrous tenure but it boils down to the fact he just hasn't a clue.

AZOffaly

Quote from: heganboy on February 28, 2017, 01:31:21 PM
It's a hard slog being a Liverpool fan.

So there are murmurs (and some loud shouting - stallion) about Klopp. And I get the concerns, but I see this as a long term investment. Let's call a spade a spade, that squad is a few points ahead of where it should be based on the quality of the players, the keeper and the injuries, and the African cup of Nations.

You say Klopp is slow to change his formation/strategy, but do the team really have the collective strength to change? My hope is that a number of early summer deals are lined up. The truth is klopp's approach requires a hard working smart team with the ability to "carry" one or two flair players depending on opposition. Bluntly speaking we have a keeper and back line that wouldn't do a job at Palace. The midfield is 7/8 place and we are one striker away from greatness. I know that the Fowler/ rush/ Aldridge predator is no longer seen in the PL, but how many goals would they score a season with the kind of service Liverpool are completely unable to convert?

Klopp's reputation can attract the young and hungry players needed to play his way.  He gives youth a chance. That performance last night was heartless and rudderless and abject. Now I'd the time for the scouts to earn their money, and for FSG to put the money behind Klopp's name to convert some of those youngsters to Red Men. And I do think one big "name" would be worth every penny to lift fans, shirt sales, and the other players.
Oh, and take what you can for Can Coutinho and Sturridge.

I agree with all of this. But in terms of changing his formation/strategy, he did that last night going 3-5-2 and then back to 4-4-2, and it wasn't disastrous, but there were too many poor performances last night, he could have played 10-0-0 and they'd still have conceded.

My gripe is more with substitutions. He is very slow to make any changes, and also I would have loved to see Ojo getting a run. He's no world beater, but Ojo on the wing might go past someone and put a ball into the box. If the normal gameplan isn't working, what's wrong with trying ORigi or Firmino in at #9, with Ojo and Mane as wide players?

This is not about last night. I think last night was an unmitigated disaster. I'm talking about in general. I think he's a very good manager, and does a lot of things right, but he does seem completely married to the idea that the team will persevere and play their way out of bad situations. We have seen with this side that you can probably tell after 10 minutes how the game is going to go. If the intensity and zip is there. If it's not, and he doesn't have real characters to dig you out of a hole, then you have to at least try to make a change and throw something new at them. Hull away, Swansea at home, Burnley away. All games that could have been affected by doing something like that.

J70

Humble pie me arse.

It's easy to sit and knee jerk every time a team goes through a bad patch.

Liverpool were a shambles when Klopp took over. He deserves the time to rebuild the squad and put a decent side together. Despite their recent loss of form, they're still well placed to get a top four spot, which was the aim this season.

What's the alternative? Bring in a new man and start over, yet again, every two seasons?

And despite your self reverence, no one is saying Klopp is faultless or doesn't make mistakes.

But out of interest, why don't you lay out what needs to happen or who needs to be brought in?