The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

The reality is that the British teams as a whole,  and I include the great 1 horse race team in that, are not good enough for Europe.  Now if they treat the home games like PL games and put out stronger teams then we could win this competition but I really think that there needs to be change soon.  BR is not the man. 

AZOffaly

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 18, 2015, 10:00:04 AM
The reality is that the British teams as a whole,  and I include the great 1 horse race team in that, are not good enough for Europe.  Now if they treat the home games like PL games and put out stronger teams then we could win this competition but I really think that there needs to be change soon.  BR is not the man.
`

Unfortunately I agree with you. I hoped he would really turn the screw in the pre season and have a go with an up-tempo pressing, aggressive game. Instead it's pedestrian, slow, and dare I say it, cowardly. Players like Ibe and Lallana, are just hesitant in possession, looking for the easy option. It was striking that the first time Lallana went instinctively, because he was under pressure, he produced something really good. That shows that he has some talent, but they seem to be wearing a strait jacket at the moment. The contrast when someone like Coutinho gets the ball and shows positivity, because it hasn't been drained from him yet, is marked. It's so stagnant, predictable and slow with the other players, and thats the way it was last year too. It's a pity, but I think Rodgers has lost confidence in himself, and the team, and is trying to scrape through. That's not a sustainable approach.

No-one would suggest Liverpool are world beaters, but they have good players, and a change in mentality and approach to the games would lead to significantly better performances I think.

Armamike

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 18, 2015, 10:32:21 AM
`

Unfortunately I agree with you. I hoped he would really turn the screw in the pre season and have a go with an up-tempo pressing, aggressive game. Instead it's pedestrian, slow, and dare I say it, cowardly. Players like Ibe and Lallana, are just hesitant in possession, looking for the easy option. It was striking that the first time Lallana went instinctively, because he was under pressure, he produced something really good. That shows that he has some talent, but they seem to be wearing a strait jacket at the moment. The contrast when someone like Coutinho gets the ball and shows positivity, because it hasn't been drained from him yet, is marked. It's so stagnant, predictable and slow with the other players, and thats the way it was last year too. It's a pity, but I think Rodgers has lost confidence in himself, and the team, and is trying to scrape through. That's not a sustainable approach.

No-one would suggest Liverpool are world beaters, but they have good players, and a change in mentality and approach to the games would lead to significantly better performances I think.

Agree with all of this. The term cowardly sprang to my mind after the Man u game.  The players were cowardly in possession in going for the safe option at all times, and Brendan was cowardly in his approach to the game.  The likes of Swansea go to OT and have a go but he apparently didn't rate our chances on Saturday.  I think his fear transmitted to the players and they were scared to pass the ball. 

Saurez dragged this team along with him.  The overall drop in intensity, pressing and speed of play is amazing since he left.  Suarez offered a directness to the play that i'm not sure Brendan would have come up with otherwise.  It shows how one truly world class player can be the difference between first/second or 7th in this league.  Says a lot really about the quality of the PL.
That's just, like your opinion man.

supersub

Quote from: Armamike on September 18, 2015, 02:05:31 PM
`

Agree with all of this. The term cowardly sprang to my mind after the Man u game.  The players were cowardly in possession in going for the safe option at all times, and Brendan was cowardly in his approach to the game.  The likes of Swansea go to OT and have a go but he apparently didn't rate our chances on Saturday.  I think his fear transmitted to the players and they were scared to pass the ball. 

Saurez dragged this team along with him.  The overall drop in intensity, pressing and speed of play is amazing since he left.  Suarez offered a directness to the play that i'm not sure Brendan would have come up with otherwise.  It shows how one truly world class player can be the difference between first/second or 7th in this league.  Says a lot really about the quality of the PL.
Or the quality of Suarez

Milltown Row2

Quote from: supersub on September 18, 2015, 04:09:56 PM
`

Or the quality of Suarez

What did you win with Suarez?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

supersub

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 18, 2015, 04:22:55 PM
`

Or the quality of Suarez

Nothing - who said anything about that? The statement was about the difference one world class player makes between 1st/2nd or 7th in the league, and that was it. Suarez was the difference. Whether Liverpool won anything or not is irrelevant in this instance.

Armamike

`

Or the quality of Suarez

I'm sure you get the point!

AZOffaly

They *did* win a League Cup with Suarez, under KK, I believe :) We'd take it now!

J70

`

Or the quality of Suarez

Are you suggesting the fact that they fell a point short of winning the league diminishes what Suarez achieved that season?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on September 18, 2015, 05:49:46 PM
`

Or the quality of Suarez

Are you suggesting the fact that they fell a point short of winning the league diminishes what Suarez achieved that season?

One point might as well be twenty... Utd lost 3/4 leagues by a point and one on 1 more goal difference... They might as well lost by 20..

How the knives come out when it starts to go tits up in the premiership!! Brendan's ship has sailed. Like most people in working life you start to go stale and possibly another opportunity elsewhere will do him good... Unfortunately for Liverpool a new manager will bring at least another two barren years of title misery
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Sure what's two more years? :) We'd survive barren years if there was incremental progress.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 18, 2015, 05:58:40 PM
Sure what's two more years? :) We'd survive barren years if there was incremental progress.

I'd say Utd and Liverpool would need a sugar daddy to come in and fill the bank before they win another title again... no competing with the big money teams... that includes Arsenal

Armamike

I'd take 2 years gladly!  I'd take 5 years, if there were signs of progress year on year.  There's been too much change of personnel in Rodgers' time. Can't build towards a team with so many coming and going, and systems chopping and changing.

Armamike

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 18, 2015, 06:11:42 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 18, 2015, 05:58:40 PM

I'd say Utd and Liverpool would need a sugar daddy to come in and fill the bank before they win another title again... no competing with the big money teams... that includes Arsenal

Agreed. Or find a genius manager. The sugar daddy option is the more realistic of the two.

AZOffaly

I see Sahko has signed a new deal. I'm glad about that, I was afraid he'd fallen out of favour, would be sold in January, and there'd be another signing to come in.

The squad Liverpool have is good enough to be competing for 4th if they played with a bit of ambition and spirit. The equivalent of a pet dog sitting cringing waiting to be kicked is more what they are like at the moment.