Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

AZOffaly

Quote from: moysider on November 27, 2014, 12:26:54 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 26, 2014, 10:00:28 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 26, 2014, 09:54:30 PM
At the start of the season, everyone would have been happy with a home win against Basel in the last game guaranteeing qualification from the group. Amazing how things change! Who can honestly see a home win now?

I can.

Struggling with the concept.

Don t know where the goals are going to come from in this team. Basel only need a draw, right?
Even if we manage a goal, they will fancy to nick one as well. Everybody does against us.
If anything, tonight opened the lid of the worm tin a bit more. A conservative selection was outplayed in midfield. When Sterling was replaced we lost the only outlet we had that was giving us respite and also offering a threat.
As for the equalising goal!! At least 2 defenders did their best to avoid heading the ball clear. Johnson and I think it was Moreno? Shocking stuff but routine at this stage.
I like Ricky Lambert. Nobody will lie awake fearing playing against him at the level Liverpool are supposed to be playing against but hey. He s genuine as f**k. Looks like he comes from good peasant or yeoman, maybe more recently, miner stock. The man you could do with in a couple of months time when you have a difficult calving.

Very good :) Yes, Lambert could be a cult hero on a successful Liverpool side. Honest, hard working etc. But on a team looking for a flash of inspiration he's going to be a source of frustration. That said, the man has two goals in his last two games, and the goal on Sunday was a good take and good finish.

The side last night looked to be a side Rodgers sent out for a draw. His reaction at the end of the game, even having lost the late goal confirmed as much to me. He wanted to be going back to Liverpool knowing a win would send them through and he got it.

I was disappointed, and it was telling in my view, that when you looked  the team on the pitch, only Manquillo and Lambert were different from last year. Given all the signings that have come in, and given that you needed a result, it is a sad reflection on how those signings have done so far that we fielded a team with Toure, Lucas, Allen and Johnson.

seafoid

If Liverpool got rid of Rodgers would they have any money for a new manager to spend ?
Or would he just have to make do with the players he has and hope he can organise them better than Rodgers does?

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on November 27, 2014, 10:16:39 AM
If Liverpool got rid of Rodgers would they have any money for a new manager to spend ?
Or would he just have to make do with the players he has and hope he can organise them better than Rodgers does?

I think there'll be money made available for Rodgers in January. But to be honest, the players we have at the moment are not doing the business anyway, so that's problem number 1.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 27, 2014, 10:28:05 AM

I think there'll be money made available for Rodgers in January. But to be honest, the players we have at the moment are not doing the business anyway, so that's problem number 1.
There is so much that needs adressed though, up front, at the back, a DM, a goalkeeper.

Mignolet again showed alst night why another keeper should be priority no.1.

I would get rid of Johnson too, and it might send out the message to the rest of the players that if you arent performing, you are out the door.

Any chance of gettinga striker in on loan? someone witha  bit of pace that could play with Lambert?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

mackers

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 27, 2014, 10:30:41 AM

There is so much that needs adressed though, up front, at the back, a DM, a goalkeeper.

I would get rid of Johnson too, and it might send out the message to the rest of the players that if you arent performing, you are out the door.

Any chance of gettinga striker in on loan? someone witha  bit of pace that could play with Lambert?
Nail on the head. Johnson has to be roaded to show others within the team that sauntering about the place can not be tolerated.  Liverpool's game last year was based on pressure being put on the opposition when they had possession, this has disappeared.  Other players look at Johnson and say, well if he doesn't give a fcuk and he gets away with it, why should I bother?  Let the two Spaniards at it, I think there is a future in them.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

AZOffaly

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 27, 2014, 10:30:41 AM

I think they have players, in fact I think they have enough players apart from up front. They need to start working though. Just throwing out all the lads they've just bought, and replacing them won't fix the issues.

I do think they need a striker because it's obvious that Sturridge is going to be injured quite a bit, and Balotelli, Lambert and Borini are just not scoring enough. But I also think they need to become more creative behind the front men, and this is where I think Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling and Gerrard have to up their game. they are good enough, they are just playing like shit. (I've deliberately included Gerrard in that group because I think that's a fundemental change that has to happen. He has to be an AM or nothing).

Then at the back, the DM role can be filled by Can, Henderson or Lucas. And at the back 4, Johnson needs to be gone, and the full backs need to be Manquillo and Moreno. Centre Halves, Lovren, Skrtel or Toure.

Goalie is a position I think that can be looked at. He is just racked by self doubt at the moment, you can see it.

My point, and maybe it's the coach in me, is that on paper there's enough talent there to be a hell of a lot better than they are. It's the players and coaches jobs to ensure they perform to their level, as a team and as individuals. At the moment they are doing neither.

The first step is to say f**k it, and go for it. High temp, high pressing, and when you turn the ball over, be direct. That would at least get a bit of momentum behind them, and give them something to hang their hat on. At the moment everything is too slow and passive.

I'd like a new striker in January, a top striker like Benzema or someone, but most of all I'd like to see the players that are there actually going for the jugular and showing their own abilities. I don't think that's happened at all yet.

AZOffaly

By the way, what happened Sahko? Not saying he's the answer to a jittery defense(!) but I thought of him when I was listing the CB options.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 27, 2014, 10:41:23 AM
By the way, what happened Sahko? Not saying he's the answer to a jittery defense(!) but I thought of him when I was listing the CB options.
He has been injured , just back in training this week along with Suso.

I pretty much agree with you, i still think there is alot of talent in taht squad, but the self belief seems to have completely disappeared over the summer.

Could chelsea be persuaded into selling Cech?

The striker options in January are going to be very limited aswell you feel.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

johnneycool

The bit I saw of the game last night Stevie G looked as if he was playing in a more advanced position, but was badly out of sorts, lacking the pace to support an already slow Lambert and for the Henderson goal, Henderson actually started off behind Gerard and steamed past him to get on the end of Sterlings cross.

Is it time Brendan showed a bit more balls and 'rested' Gerard?

blewuporstuffed

I would try

mignolet
manquillo skertl lovren moreno

can      henderson

sterling   gerrard     coutinho

ballotelli/lambert

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on November 27, 2014, 11:19:11 AM
The bit I saw of the game last night Stevie G looked as if he was playing in a more advanced position, but was badly out of sorts, lacking the pace to support an already slow Lambert and for the Henderson goal, Henderson actually started off behind Gerard and steamed past him to get on the end of Sterlings cross.

Is it time Brendan showed a bit more balls and 'rested' Gerard?
I was glad to see Gerrard in that role, and I think he was a lot more influential than he has been. Now that's not saying much as I've nearly been as influential sitting at home roaring at the TV. However he was trying to break forward, pick up breaks from Lambert and play passes through. Most of them didn't come off, but he did put a decent ball in for Sterling, who should have made it 3-1. It was exactly the sort of ball LFC haven't been playing this season.

Having said that, I remarked to my wife that Gerrard reminded me of me when I came back playing Senior football after 4 years in the states. The pace of the players around him and the game generally just seemed to be too quick for him. You nearly sensed he was clinging onto the game, trying desperately to influence it, but just not quite at the pace of it. Like he was running in quicksand.

I still think he's a positive influence in that part of the pitch, and if he can't influence the game there, then he shouldn't play. Last night I thought, as the game was opening up in the second half, that Coutinho could have come on for Gerrard. Some of that loose play that Lambert was allowing would have been perfect for someone clever like that.

TabClear

How we are in the position where a win at home takes us through its a miracle.

I think it's been said above, even with the Suarez factor, the players we have were good enough last season, they are just not performing this year so it's not necessarily about changing the personnel. I think Can will be a good signing but we need to sort out the defensive side of the game as a priority. Not just the back four but the team in general. Ludogorets had so much time just outside the box last night it was embarrassing.

laoislad

Gerrard dropped to the bench today.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

J70

Grim stuff today so far. No support whatsoever up front. Enrique whipped in a brilliant cross from the left and there was no one in sight. At least Lambert is putting himself about and giving them an outlet, while Lucas is actually breaking up a bit of opposition play. However, it is hard to believe that most of these players were part of the side that were blitzkrieging all ahead of them earlier this year. Remember how easy that Old Trafford win was? Unless things change and fast, there will be some role reversal when they return in a few weeks.