The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

did the 2 x previous biting bans include international matches?

laoislad

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 25, 2014, 11:25:13 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on June 25, 2014, 11:20:05 AM
Talk of a 20 match ban including club matches. I think maybe he should be made wear some sort of gum shield when he returns. Health and Safety risk.  :-X

there is talk of alot of things, but it is based on absolutely fck all other than tabloid speculation.
The red tops would have been rubbing their hands last night when they seen the incident. it will fill their pages now untill the beginning of the season again
And the fools will lap it up and believe every word of it.
No one knows what FIFA will do. The tabloids will make it up as they go along.

btw Zindane got a 3 match ban(even though he had announced his retirement)for his headbutt in World Cup Final. Is what Suarez allegedly done worse than that?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

NAG1

Quote from: laoislad on June 25, 2014, 11:33:35 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 25, 2014, 11:25:13 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on June 25, 2014, 11:20:05 AM
Talk of a 20 match ban including club matches. I think maybe he should be made wear some sort of gum shield when he returns. Health and Safety risk.  :-X

there is talk of alot of things, but it is based on absolutely fck all other than tabloid speculation.
The red tops would have been rubbing their hands last night when they seen the incident. it will fill their pages now untill the beginning of the season again
And the fools will lap it up and believe every word of it.
No one knows what FIFA will do. The tabloids will make it up as they go along.

btw Zindane got a 3 match ban(even though he had announced his retirement)for his headbutt in World Cup Final. Is what Suarez allegedly done worse than that?

Yes

rory

Lots of hypocritcal Utd fans having their fun at the minute.

I can't condone what Suarez did and he deserves a ban but this guy was welcomed back by their 'proper club' and is still revered as a hero......

Eric Cantona
His disciplinary problems began in 1987 when he was fined for punching team mate Bruno Martini in the face
The following year, Cantona was again in trouble because of a dangerous tackle on Nantes player Michel Der Zakarian, resulting in a three-month suspension
In January 1989 during a friendly game against Torpedo Moscow he kicked the ball at the crowd, then ripped off and threw away his shirt after being substituted. His club responded by banning him for a month
Just a few months earlier, he had been banned from international matches for one year after insulting the national coach Henri Michel on TV
At Montpellier, he was involved in a fight with team-mate Jean-Claude Lemoult and threw his boots in Lemoult's face. The incident led to six players demanding that Cantona be sacked. However, with the support of team-mates such as Laurent Blanc and Carlos Valderrama, the club retained his services, although they banned him from the ground for ten days
In December 1991, during a match for Nîmes he threw the ball at the referee, having been angered by one of his decisions. He was summoned to a disciplinary hearing by the French Football Federation and was banned for one month. Cantona responded by walking up to each member of the hearing committee in turn and calling him an idiot. His ban was increased to two months
And of course the Kung Fu kick

That's 7 incidents.  OK maybe only a couple are as bad as a bite, but would a 'proper club' really want a player like this?

deiseach

Luis Enrique got an eight match ban for breaking Mauro Tasotti's nose in the 1994 World Cup - what is it about guys called Luis and Italians, eh? Tassotti also lost a pint of blood for his troubles. It'll be interesting to see who much worse Suarez's behaviour is assessed to have been.

NAG1

Quote from: rory on June 25, 2014, 11:53:28 AM
Lots of hypocritcal Utd fans having their fun at the minute.

I can't condone what Suarez did and he deserves a ban but this guy was welcomed back by their 'proper club' and is still revered as a hero......

Eric Cantona
His disciplinary problems began in 1987 when he was fined for punching team mate Bruno Martini in the face
The following year, Cantona was again in trouble because of a dangerous tackle on Nantes player Michel Der Zakarian, resulting in a three-month suspension
In January 1989 during a friendly game against Torpedo Moscow he kicked the ball at the crowd, then ripped off and threw away his shirt after being substituted. His club responded by banning him for a month
Just a few months earlier, he had been banned from international matches for one year after insulting the national coach Henri Michel on TV
At Montpellier, he was involved in a fight with team-mate Jean-Claude Lemoult and threw his boots in Lemoult's face. The incident led to six players demanding that Cantona be sacked. However, with the support of team-mates such as Laurent Blanc and Carlos Valderrama, the club retained his services, although they banned him from the ground for ten days
In December 1991, during a match for Nîmes he threw the ball at the referee, having been angered by one of his decisions. He was summoned to a disciplinary hearing by the French Football Federation and was banned for one month. Cantona responded by walking up to each member of the hearing committee in turn and calling him an idiot. His ban was increased to two months
And of course the Kung f* kick

That's 7 incidents.  OK maybe only a couple are as bad as a bite, but would a 'proper club' really want a player like this?

I am a United fan and while I think the incident is really funny I don't think you are comparing likes.

It is the nature of actually biting someone that is the issue, I would say that and spitting on someone would be the two no no's.

All Eric's incidents would have been seen as more 'manly' stuff rightly or wrongly.

J OGorman

how does this act compare to spitting? spitting seems to be the act most seem to think is the lowest of the low

NAG1

Quote from: J OGorman on June 25, 2014, 12:04:57 PM
how does this act compare to spitting? spitting seems to be the act most seem to think is the lowest of the low

Well to me it would be spitting as well closely followed by biting, has the same connotations IMO.

rory

Christiano Ronaldo has twice been involved in spitting incidents and Fellaini spat this year too, so spitting obviously isn't that big of a deal......at proper clubs.

Syferus

Can he appeal any ban and still play?

deiseach

It's part of the footballer's code. The same one that thinks it's acceptable for you or your teammate to dive and roll around on the floor like you're in agony but thinks its outrageous when an opponent does it.

muppet

Quote from: J OGorman on June 25, 2014, 10:46:40 AM
Quite enjoyed John Cherry

Baines on Toast really works in a Mayo accent.
MWWSI 2017

J70

I would think intentionally trying to injure an opponent would be much lower than spitting or biting (assuming one doesn't have a disease that is communicable through saliva of course :P).

And where in the football supporters' "moral code" does sleeping with your brother's wife rank?

laoislad

Quote from: J70 on June 25, 2014, 12:22:19 PM
I would think intentionally trying to injure an opponent would be much lower than spitting or biting (assuming one doesn't have a disease that is communicable through saliva of course :P).

And where in the football supporters' "moral code" does sleeping with your brother's wife rank?

Just above cheating on your pregnant wife with a 70 year old granny hooker....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: J70 on June 25, 2014, 12:22:19 PM

Racism must have been removed from the top of the list. As has diving.

I wonder who reviews and updates the list anyways. Luis sure knows how to tick the boxes.