The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: deiseach on June 09, 2011, 10:49:38 AM
Looks like Liverpool are making thenmselves the guinea pigs for a policy that everyone says is a good idea but no one is brave enough to implement, i.e. concentrating on young, British talent. I fear that Liverpool are about to discover that while a lot of foreigners are indeed the Carlos Kickaballs of legend, a lot more of them are decent players and coming at a fraction of the price of the natives constitute a much reduced risk

Not so sure about that dieseach.  The Euro window doesn't open until July 1st and I reckon that they are waiting until then to really push that side of business.  The other things is a lot of players are sipping sangria on their holidays and are not interested in talking just yet.  Give it time and Carlos Kickaballs will sign on the dotted line. :D

deiseach

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on June 09, 2011, 11:18:02 AM
He is a Liverpool fan and he wouldn't be the first player to make that move so could happen.

I'm a Liverpool fan, where do I sign? Seriously, that's irrelevant. Jamie Carragher was an Everton fan, you wouldn't see him going in the opposite direction. I honestly think top soccer players have very flaky childhood loyalties. Once they realise they might be good enough to make the grade they begin to calculate the path of least resistance to getting paid to play, and that rarely involves "waiting for the team I support to come in for me". As for other people making the journey, the only people who spring to mind were Abel Xavier, who was at the end of his cotntract so Everton were only too happy to get rid, and Nick Barmby, whose transfer caused a shitstorm.

Besides, thought Baines looked cack on Saturday ;)

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: deiseach on June 09, 2011, 01:07:24 PM
He is a Liverpool fan and he wouldn't be the first player to make that move so could happen.

I'm a Liverpool fan, where do I sign? Seriously, that's irrelevant. Jamie Carragher was an Everton fan, you wouldn't see him going in the opposite direction. I honestly think top soccer players have very flaky childhood loyalties. Once they realise they might be good enough to make the grade they begin to calculate the path of least resistance to getting paid to play, and that rarely involves "waiting for the team I support to come in for me". As for other people making the journey, the only people who spring to mind were Abel Xavier, who was at the end of his cotntract so Everton were only too happy to get rid, and Nick Barmby, whose transfer caused a shitstorm.

Do you mean transferred across Stanley Park or move Everton to Liverpool?  There are a good few who went the other way, Ablett, Beardsley, Burrows and Mcmahon although they might not have been straight across the Park.  Baines would be good though but I get the impression that there is not a big desire to get a LB as such as there may be a feeling that a fit Kelly and Johnson will be the 2 full backs.

deiseach

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 09, 2011, 12:40:45 PM
Quote from: deiseach on June 09, 2011, 10:49:38 AM
Looks like Liverpool are making thenmselves the guinea pigs for a policy that everyone says is a good idea but no one is brave enough to implement, i.e. concentrating on young, British talent. I fear that Liverpool are about to discover that while a lot of foreigners are indeed the Carlos Kickaballs of legend, a lot more of them are decent players and coming at a fraction of the price of the natives constitute a much reduced risk

Not so sure about that dieseach.  The Euro window doesn't open until July 1st and I reckon that they are waiting until then to really push that side of business.  The other things is a lot of players are sipping sangria on their holidays and are not interested in talking just yet.  Give it time and Carlos Kickaballs will sign on the dotted line. :D

You might be right. The agents need to be paid!

deiseach

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 09, 2011, 01:17:11 PM
Do you mean transferred across Stanley Park or move Everton to Liverpool?  There are a good few who went the other way, Ablett, Beardsley, Burrows and Mcmahon although they might not have been straight across the Park.  Baines would be good though but I get the impression that there is not a big desire to get a LB as such as there may be a feeling that a fit Kelly and Johnson will be the 2 full backs.

Yes, I meant Everton to Liverpool. There's never been any ideological reasons (edit: not in my lifetime anyway, before someone digs up some example from c. 1905) for Liverpool not to sell to Everton - although my heart nearly stopped when Liverpool sold Beardsley for a bag of magic beans

Geoff Tipps

McMahon shouldn't be in that list. Went from Everton to us via Villa.
Great player at the time in fairness.

deiseach

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on June 09, 2011, 01:46:21 PM

Nor should David Burrows, he joined West Ham before Everton. Not so great a player, although he'll always have a special place in my heart for scoring 26 seconds into a Derby!

gawa316

Quote from: deiseach on June 09, 2011, 01:51:54 PM

Nor should David Burrows, he joined West Ham before Everton. Not so great a player, although he'll always have a special place in my heart for scoring 26 seconds into a Derby!

I mind him playing in nets for us in europe when brucie got sent off

deiseach

Quote from: gawa316 on June 09, 2011, 01:56:03 PM

Hardly his fault. Definitely one of Brucie's nuttier days, and the competition was fierce in that category

brokencrossbar1

I know hence why I said they didn't go straight across the Park! 

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: deiseach on June 09, 2011, 01:51:54 PM

Well he should be in that list (Liverpool players who later joined Everton) given BCB did say that they may not have gone staight to Goodison.  ;)
I remember seeing him on a Sky "Where are they now" type show a few years ago. He lives in France and togs out for the local village team. Fluent in French and completely immersed in the culture.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 09, 2011, 02:09:17 PM

My point is McMahon never went "the other way" as you suggest.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on June 09, 2011, 02:17:17 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 09, 2011, 02:09:17 PM

My point is McMahon never went "the other way" as you suggest.

Pedantic f**king Pat!

Anyway back in the real world I actually don't see Baines coming anyway. They will look for too much money for him.

gawa316

Quote from: deiseach on June 09, 2011, 01:58:54 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on June 09, 2011, 01:56:03 PM

Hardly his fault.

Never said it was, it is just a memory I have of him

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"