Keep the Ulster championship in Ulster

Started by longrunsthefox, February 04, 2009, 09:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Ulster Council president Tom Daly appears to have ruled out prospects of the Ulster SFC clash between Tyrone and Armagh being played at Croke Park.
Daly was speaking in Belfast at the Ulster launch of the GAA's 125th anniversary celebrations.
"It certainly wouldn't be to the forefront of our minds to bring the game to Croke Park," said the Ulster Council president.
"Bear in mind that this is a first-round Ulster Championship game."
Daly added:"In the past where Ulster teams have gone to Croke Park, it has been the ultimate stage of the Ulster Championship, the Ulster Final."
The provincial clash will take place at 31 May.
Tyrone were first out of the hat when the draw was made in the autumn but it's possible that Clones, as opposed to Healy Park, may stage the provincial quarter-final.

Despite what Mickey Harte says this is a good decision... all this running to Croke Park is killing the golden goose and taking the novelty out of it. Saturday was fantastic and appropriate but Clones is  a great traditional Ulster championship summer day out. Could you imagine the Munster hurling championship moving to Dublin? Not  a chance.   

full back

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 04, 2009, 09:41:41 AM
Could you imagine the Munster hurling championship moving to Dublin? Not  a chance.   

The capacity of Thurles is 55k odd
Clones is significantly lower, if it was close to 55k there wouldnt be a chance of moving the games either

longrunsthefox

Quote from: full back on February 04, 2009, 09:47:37 AM
Could you imagine the Munster hurling championship moving to Dublin? Not  a chance.   

Clones is significantly lower, if it was close to 55k there wouldnt be a chance of moving the games either

If the Munster hurling final was moved to Croke Park it would probably get 82,000. Many thousands more neutrals would go and and would be big holiday weekend for all Munster folk... still they don't sell out... 

full back

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 04, 2009, 09:53:08 AM

If the Munster hurling final was moved to Croke Park it would probably get 82,000. Many thousands more neutrals would go and and would be big holiday weekend for all Munster folk... still they don't sell out... 

???

longrunsthefox

Quote from: full back on February 04, 2009, 10:07:41 AM

???

:o

naka

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 04, 2009, 10:11:38 AM
Quote from: full back on February 04, 2009, 10:07:41 AM

???

dont mention the war -its still a little touchy for us nordies ;)
  :o

longrunsthefox

Quote from: full back on February 04, 2009, 10:20:54 AM
I'm lost here

I'm not just talking about Croke Park, I'm talking about my LIFE, I can't seem to get that through to you. I'm not just talking about one person, I'm talking about everybody. I'm talking about form. I'm talking about content. I'm talking about interrelationships. I'm talking about God, the devil, Hell, Heaven. Do you understand... FINALLY?   >:(

donelli

I dont think any round of the ulster chamopionship should be taken out of ulster.

33k is a big enough capacity to cater for the true support of armagh and tyrone..

bennydorano

Maguire01

I think it's actually 36,000.  But anyway, Tyrone's attendances last year were pretty poor by their previous standards (up until the latter stages) and Armagh didn't manage to sell their 250 season tickets (as far as i know). So i don't think there's any need to move this game to Dublin to please a few thousand fairweather supporters and some neutrals.

David McKeown

Normally id agree this shouldnt be moved but there was an idea on here a few months ago that I quite liked and that was to have a weekend of double headers to mark the 125 anniversary.  That is have one day where you have this game and a munster or connacht game and the other day you have a dublin game and the other provincial game.  Not necessarily all the games being football either.  I can see a good few problems with the idea but in the year thats in I dont think its an overall bad idea.  Besides to me anyway the Ulster championships dont feel like it once did having all ready been moved about before and with the introduction of the back door leaving it meaningless to a few counties
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

naka

croker would be a good way to start the championship but as said before its a first round game and clones would probably hold the crowd who are genuine fans.Interesting to note Mickey Hartes comments though in today`s irish news

Doohicky

I would be much happier if the game was in Clones rather than moved to Croke park.

Moving every game there really does take the appreciation out of the chance to play at Croke Park.

Saying that, will certain Dublin fans be leading a protest if Tyrone lose home advantage against Armagh since it seems to be moving to a Neutral venue one way or another? ;)