None
5 (3.6%)
Others
3 (2.2%)
Professional Qualifications
16 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 138

D4S

I honestly think unless you go down a designated career path from the outset a degree is pointless.  Careers such as Doctor, Nurse, Teacher, Radiographer, Engineering possibly would be what I would consider the good ones.  Feel free anyone who wants to tell me different I'd love to be told mine and those of I'm sure thousands of others are worth more than the piece of paper you get at the end.  The amount of degrees nowadays mine included that are pointless unless you go on to do a PGCE is a joke.  It's all about getting the right experience during and immediately after your degree.  Some of the degree titles nowadays are pointless too. 
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

ziggysego

HND in Computing. From my experience and the experiences of others, it appears to have a lot more relevance in the workplace.
Testing Accessibility

maxpower

Quote from: D4S on February 03, 2009, 03:21:41 PM
I honestly think unless you go down a designated career path from the outset a degree is pointless.  Careers such as Doctor, Nurse, Teacher, Radiographer, Engineering possibly would be what I would consider the good ones.  Feel free anyone who wants to tell me different I'd love to be told mine and those of I'm sure thousands of others are worth more than the piece of paper you get at the end.  The amount of degrees nowadays mine included that are pointless unless you go on to do a PGCE is a joke.  It's all about getting the right experience during and immediately after your degree.  Some of the degree titles nowadays are pointless too. 

Spot on,

In a completely different career to what i achieved my degree in as are many of those in the same course. Sports Studies = disaster
What happens next????

nifan

Mario

Puckoon

Quote from: D4S on February 03, 2009, 03:21:41 PM

Never a truer word been spoken. All this emphasis placed on higher eduation - which unless it is vocational, is a complete waste of time.

Declan

QuoteAll this emphasis placed on higher education - which unless it is vocational, is a complete waste of time.

Is education ever wasted though??? Life long learning etc

nifan

Quote from: Puckoon on February 03, 2009, 05:09:24 PM
Never a truer word been spoken. All this emphasis placed on higher eduation - which unless it is vocational, is a complete waste of time.

There is certainly a place for non vocational education, just not at the 50% targets that the government had set.

Puckoon

Quote from: nifan on February 03, 2009, 05:13:51 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on February 03, 2009, 05:09:24 PM

There is certainly a place for non vocational education, just not at the 50% targets that the government had set.

Well then maybe schools have more of a responsibility to let students know just how vocational a course they might think about undertaking, could actually be.

What use has non vocational education to the average student these days when they are trying to get a job? Ive a degree in philosophy. Ok then, well - maybe we'll get you a job in Menarys.

nifan

the average student?
Im not suggesting "average" students should do non vocational degrees.
But we need people coming through with degrees in physics, mathematics etc
Philosophy i am less concerned with.

delboy

PhD, but i work in a job where its a basic minimum really.

Puckoon

Quote from: nifan on February 03, 2009, 05:26:53 PM
the average student?
Im not suggesting "average" students should do non vocational degrees.
But we need people coming through with degrees in physics, mathematics etc
Philosophy i am less concerned with.

Physics and mathematics in my mind are relatively vocational. The world needs mathematicians, statisticians, physic (whats the plural of that - surely a physician is a Dr) graduates. There are a plethora of shite courses out there, and its very easy to find yourself in one, just because you want to be at college and missed that sports science course at DCU by a point.

Obviously if we need people coming through with those courses - that means there are employment opportunities for those graduates? Therefore, mathematics and physics, while not obviously vocational - have plenty of potential in the job market.

The Watcher Pat

What do you vote for if you were politely asked to leave after 1st year Uni?  ???
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

nifan

QuoteThere are a plethora of shite courses out there, and its very easy to find yourself in one, just because you want to be at college and missed that sports science course at DCU by a point.

I agree with that, but while it may not be what you meant ive heard others be disparaging of "academic" course, to the point where they are seen as inferior to more vocational courses.

Puckoon

Id never know why someone would talk like that about a discipline like maths, english, geography or another core course.

That said, If I was doing it all again, Id go for one of the so called "Vocational" courses. Or Id be a joiner.