TV3 to broadcast documentary on Irish Soccer violence

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, February 03, 2009, 12:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

According to Sunday Tribune, TV3 are to broadcast a documentary on the ugly side of domestic soccer in Ireland.  It will expose the underbelly of organised hooliganism (complete with shocking footage):

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/feb/01/it-was-just-a-riot-with-kicks-and-fists-flying/

On behalf of dublinfella I want to get in first and say:

• sensationalist media
  • anti-LOI
  • agenda driven independent group

Shame!

Quote from: dublinfella on January 15, 2009, 01:03:02 PM
There is no culture of soccer hooliganism in Ireland and save for the odd incident at contentious Dublin and Belfast derbies and Linfield v Derry. You get more action down Sumerhill after a Dubs v Meath game.

/Jim.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: ziggysego on February 03, 2009, 12:10:29 PM
FAI or will include IFA too?

Ahem, I believe the correct title is Linfield/IFA.   ;D ;D

/Jim.

T Fearon

TV3 has little to be doing. There is no violence in Irish soccer in the 26 counties save from an underclass who latch on to Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers, which is only to be expected in a major city

full back

Quote from: T Fearon on February 03, 2009, 12:20:53 PM
TV3 has little to be doing. There is no violence in Irish soccer in the 26 counties save from an underclass who latch on to Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers, which is only to be expected in a major city

And there is no violence in the 6 counties save....................................oops, sorry Tony
Spot on you are :-\

Tankie

Grand Slam Saturday!

Tonto

Quote from: T Fearon on February 03, 2009, 12:20:53 PM
So you don't consider Belfast Derby's to be 'Irish'.

Tut tut, you're such a partitionist, Tony.

"And we're all off to Dub-il-in in the Green...."

dublinfella

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on February 03, 2009, 12:00:34 PM
According to Sunday Tribune, TV3 are to broadcast a documentary on the ugly side of domestic soccer in Ireland.  It will expose the underbelly of organised hooliganism (complete with shocking footage):

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/feb/01/it-was-just-a-riot-with-kicks-and-fists-flying/

• sensationalist media
  • anti-LOI

Shame!

There is no culture of soccer hooliganism in Ireland and save for the odd incident at contentious Dublin and Belfast derbies and Linfield v Derry. You get more action down Sumerhill after a Dubs v Meath game.

/Jim.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but according to the Rovers forum the biggest issue they have is that TV3 are incorrectly labelling the Ultras as having a part in the handbags that may or may not occured.

I stand over my comments that Ireland does not have an organised hooligan problem.

Tabloid tv from a tabloid channell.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dublinfella on February 03, 2009, 01:18:34 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on February 03, 2009, 12:00:34 PM

• sensationalist media
  • anti-LOI

Shame!

/Jim.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but according to the Rovers forum the biggest issue they have is that TV3 are incorrectly labelling the Ultras as having a part in the handbags that may or may not occured.

I stand over my comments that Ireland does not have an organised hooligan problem.

Tabloid tv from a tabloid channell.

::) :D :D

dublinfella

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 03, 2009, 01:20:13 PM

If the paggers happened they happened, I have no idea whether they did, there was nothing reported in the press at the time, but phrases like 'running for their lives' and getting basic research like who are the 'gangs' involved wrong leads me to believe it will be tabloid tv.

We will wait and see. Anyone know when its on?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dublinfella on February 03, 2009, 01:33:51 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 03, 2009, 01:20:13 PM

If the paggers happened they happened, I have no idea whether they did, there was nothing reported in the press at the time, but phrases like 'running for their lives' and getting basic research like who are the 'gangs' involved wrong leads me to believe it will be tabloid tv.

We will wait and see. Anyone know when its on?
I'd agree to a point that the tv show will highlight fights etc to a level that OTT , but somewhere between that and your assertions that there is no violence in domestic soccer lies the truth.

however you made me laugh out loud when you put in that 'organised' bit
you have your excuses and justifications ready !

However I dont think anyone was levelling the criticism that domestic Irish soccer operates in the same organised faction fighting way as the football 'firms' do in england.
It would appear these young lads go to places and 'hope' they get a bit of a row more than anything being organised in advance.
Still the mindset of some of these younger fans though imo.

dublinfella

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 03, 2009, 01:38:24 PM

I'd agree to a point that the tv show will highlight fights etc to a level that OTT , but somewhere between that and your assertions that there is no violence in domestic soccer lies the truth.

However I dont think anyone was levelling the criticism that domestic Irish soccer operates in the same organised faction fighting way as the football 'firms' do in england.
It would appear these young lads go to places and 'hope' they get a bit of a row more than anything being organised in advance.

I'm really not that fussed, but the Tribune have no content whatsoever in relation to the LoI and often even omit the scores and tables, but are quick to print stories like this. I can see it from the soccer lads point of view here. People are quick enough to point the finger at the media for making mountains in relation to violence in the GAA.

A few locals from Dorset Street having a pop at southsiders and inept policing of that does not justify an hours tv in my opinion.

his holiness nb

In fairness, I dont think anyone should criticise the content of the programme until we have seen it.

Dublinfella, speaking of hooliganism, any chance of providing links to the newspaper stories for the so called "riot" involving Dublin fans you claimed happened last year.

There was nothing on tv or in the papers (that I saw anyway) at the time, then months later you claimed it was "all over the papers at the time" yet I cant find any links.
Maybe you can direct me to one?

I'd appreciate if you could, I've asked you to do this a few times previously but you dont seem to reply.
Its just a pretty big claim to make without any back up whatsoever.

To quote your good self "link please"

Ask me holy bollix

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dublinfella on February 03, 2009, 01:44:37 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 03, 2009, 01:38:24 PM

I'm really not that fussed, but the Tribune have no content whatsoever in relation to the LoI and often even omit the scores and tables, but are quick to print stories like this. I can see it from the soccer lads point of view here. People are quick enough to point the finger at the media for making mountains in relation to violence in the GAA.

A few locals from Dorset Street having a pop at southsiders and inept policing of that does not justify an hours tv in my opinion.
being a bit obteuse here with reality arent you
sure the 'pigs head' thing plus other acts of violence are known to you I am sure!
please dont label it all as being made up.
Acknowledge there is a potential problem with some sets of soccer fans.
Its not widespread, then again the fanbase isnt massive so it couldnt be

dublinfella

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 03, 2009, 01:48:04 PM

being a bit obteuse here with reality arent you
sure the 'pigs head' thing plus other acts of violence are known to you I am sure!
please dont label it all as being made up.
Acknowledge there is a potential problem with some sets of soccer fans.
Its not widespread, then again the fanbase isnt massive so it couldnt be

I'm being obtuse? Are we calling throwig a pigs head onto a pitch 'an act of violence' now?

What about the coins thrown at Mulligan on Saturday? Does that mean the GAA have a hooligan problem too.