Mickey Harte joins the Irish News

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 30, 2009, 06:05:57 PM
Thank you for posting the article...happy ?

Over the moon.

Note to self: disregard previous note not to post aforementioned article in future.

Response to self: OK
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

pintsofguinness

Where's the thread on mcguigan slamming spillane?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

JohnDenver

Referees and review panels need to earn some respect Mickey Harte
By Mickey Harte
04/09/09

In last Saturday's Irish Independent, Martin Breheny made an impassioned plea in support of John Bannon, who he deemed had been placed in 'a disgracefully unfair position' by the GAA He was obviously referring to the fact that Bannon had been asked to revisit the incident when Cork's John Miskella was given a yellow card in the All-Ireland semi-final against Tyrone.

He supported his interpretation of this request by the GAA by inferring that this was effectively asking Bannon to decide whether or not Miskella would play in the All-Ireland final.

According to Martin, because the incident was drawn to the referee's attention by his umpire, and a yellow card was issued, that should have been the end of the matter as far as Bannon was concerned.

If this was an unprecedented move by the GAA to ask for this review, then the article would have held some credence, but that is far from the case.

One would have to wonder why no such vehement argument was put forward when the referee in the Derry v Monaghan Ulster Championship game was similarly requested to revisit his live-time decisions.

Indeed, as I have already highlighted in this column and in various other media outlets, two Tyrone players, Ryan McMenamin and Tommy McGuigan, were the only people to fall victim of this type of investigation in this year's entire National Football League campaign.

Breheny has suddenly discovered this to be a 'flawed' system and suggests that the focus given to the incident by The Sunday Game was instrumental in the issue being revisited.

Again, what's new Martin? And why the furore now?

It has been clear for a long time that television

coverage and programme directors/editors, along with studio pundits, have been setting the agenda on these matters.

The print media personnel, who invariably revel in such controversies, are hardly well placed to point the finger at The Sunday Game.

Perhaps it is time for the CCCC to become more transparent and tell us exactly how the process works. 

Currently, the 'facts' seem to suggest that, if an

incident is repeatedly highlighted, by the media, then those involved are taken to task.

If this is the case – and it's difficult to accept otherwise – I agree with Martin Breheny (even if for differing reasons) that the system is flawed.

Even the language used by commentators and pundits appears to have an impact on possible outcomes, in terms of whether or not incidents are revisited or deemed unsavoury.

We often hear of a player being involved in an

incident and, depending on who he is, the action is described in a sanitised fashion as being 'totally out of character', while other players are never given the benefit of the doubt.

While it is an indisputable fact that, on occasion,

players go to ground too easily, the lazy description, by some observers, that this always constitutes a dive is equally unfair and

inaccurate.

Players and teams then often get labelled as cheats and this undoubtedly influences decision-makers in live-time situations in the future.

This can often lead to frustration on the part of those who are illegally taken out, and yet are not afforded the protection they deserve.

A couple of examples from our game with Cork serves to highlight this point.

The sending off of Alan O'Connor received a lot of attention and he, in turn, is generally deemed to have been hard done by.

While this may be the case, the decision for that action lay squarely with one man, and that was not Owen Mulligan.

In the modern game, players are coached to roll tackles and avoid head-on collisions if possible.

That the physical contact wasn't as severe as it might have been may well have been due to Owen's skill in getting out of the way and

preserving his own well-being as far as possible.

Because he achieved this, and the Cork player picked up a second yellow, it is almost as if no responsibility lay with the player himself.

Ironically, between the sending off in the 30th minute and half-time at 37 minutes, when John Bannon stopped the game with Ryan McMenamin in an advanced attacking position, Cork were awarded seven frees to Tyrone's none.

Even more ironically, in the 49th minute, Kevin Hughes received a full-frontal shoulder charge from a player already on a yellow card and ended up severely winded and in need of medical assistance, an act which solicited no attention from the referee.

Not only was there no further action taken by the ref against the perpetrator, but RTE commentator Martin Carney saw fit to describe it as part and parcel of the game.

He also told us, inaccurately, that both men went for the ball – there was nothing malicious, it was accidental.

With the advantage of replays, that description of the incident is definite evidence of a case for an appointment with a good optician.

Nor did I hear, or read, anything from those who have a particularly acute eye for theatrics and dives giving any credit to Kevin for his controlled reaction to what was an off-the-ball full-frontal shoulder charge.

Ultimately, this reflection is not about pointing the finger of blame at any individual player or team, but rather it is about highlighting the lack of consistency in the application of the playing rules and their interpretation by a wide range of practitioners and observers.

It's widely believed amongst the GAA community that Brian Crowe from Cavan has fallen heavily down the refereeing pecking order for big games since he stood by his decision over an incident involving Noel O'Leary in the 2007 All-Ireland semi-final.

Since that view has become apparent, virtually every incident that has been revisited since has been upgraded to a more serious offence.

The fact that John Bannon has announced his

retirement, and consequently won't incur a similar dearth of future opportunities, is probably the key indicator as to why he stuck by his original (wrong) decision.

Another observer who invariably asks for the views of known rules experts seems to have let sentiment get in the way of the truth when he concurred with Bannon's view that a yellow card was the correct call.

Rule 146(b)0.G.

unequivocally describes 'striking or attempting to strike with arm, elbow, hand or knee' as a category II offence which carries a minimum four-week suspension.

The days of 'giving games' to certain referees should be a thing of the past.

Teams are not 'given' provincial finals, but rather have to earn their right to be there.

It's time referees became more of a respected species – respect earned by them – and less of a protected species.

If television coverage and punditry was confined to the quality of football, and the CCCC transparently and consistently went about the business of dealing with indiscretions, then the ultimate goal for us all, equitable accountability, is more likely to occur.

Would have to agree with Mickey on this one, the rules aren't clear and don't seem to be impartial.  This would apply at club level too IMO.

Fuzzman

No boring idle chit chat this week lads.
He's giving you his true opinion on something controversial but I bet you a lot of you will now come out of the wood work to say he's just whinging and its sour grapes etc.

And then ye wonder why he hasn't said much all year.

Commentators make a lot of errors ranging from getting people's names wrong to turning a blind eye to certain things to suit their own agenda. He makes a good point that people love to whinge about certain players diving but nobody mentions Hub not crying about an off the ball incident.

blewuporstuffed

havent been a fan of the column so far, but gets it spot on this time.
good to hear him speaking his mind.

If we are going to go down the road of revisiting incidents due to tv coverage, surely there is a case for an independent citing commissioner  (similar to rugby) and it is his job to highlight  them (rather than spillane & his mates).
Also, if the referee was unable to get the decision correct at the time, why make him the one to pass judgement second time round? Again it should be an independant panel, of which the referee could be one member , if need be, that makes the decision.
There is far too much inconsitancy and Bias in the process as it stands.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

orangeman

Mickey is hitting where it hurts this week and although he mightn't be saying it, there's a hint of a northern bias when it comes to the southern media.

Mickey hits the nail firmly on the head this time.

Well done.

botman

Harte is right to certain extent. But the issue for me is far deeper than the media and referees.

My argument is that the issue is with the entire GAA rulebook. Drastic as it may sound should it not be rewritten and updated for the 21st century?
Keep them at it.

Sandy Hill

QuoteIn the modern game, players are coached to roll tackles and avoid head-on collisions if possible.

That the physical contact wasn't as severe as it might have been may well have been due to Owen's skill in getting out of the way and

preserving his own well-being as far as possible.

::) ::) ::)
"Stercus accidit"

Drumanee 1

at last what we want to hear from his column,no bullshit just straight to the point.the man has the potential to be a top class columnist and after some terrible articles he has shown what he is capable of.i dont think it's a conincidence that Tyrone are no longer involved in the championship

Sandino

I was at the game and listened to RTE radio where I think it was Bernard Flynn who said that Conor Gormley has just got a punch 'off the ball'' but sure its all part of the game. The comments on RTE Radio throughout the game were beyond belief to be honest. They even slated John Bannon when he tried to sort out an off the ball mêlée saying there was nothing going on that he needed to look at.

Its about time Micky wrote something interesting, the Irish News is like all other publications all about making money, if they think Mickey can up their sales they don't care what crap he writes. I think it has gone very tabloid and I never buy it. Rant Over..for now
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Fuzzman

I was listening to Bernard Flynn whilst at the match at he was so biased & annoying that I turned it off.
It was bad enough to watch Cork take us apart without listening to him loving it.
I heard that line about it being part & parcel of the match.
Wonder could Fergal Logan use that argument for next year's NFL?

sizzler

Fuzzman, i agree with you totally. Flynn couldnt hide his delight that tyrone were getting beat. Both me and my friend removed the earpieces also.

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on September 04, 2009, 01:36:27 PM
at last what we want to hear from his column,no bullshit just straight to the point.the man has the potential to be a top class columnist and after some terrible articles he has shown what he is capable of.i dont think it's a conincidence that Tyrone are no longer involved in the championship

I (respectfully) disagree. Typical Father Mickey mealy-mouthed whinge. The good points he was trying to make got drowned by the holier-than-thou bullshit.

Here's some examples (with translation)...

Breheny has suddenly discovered this to be a 'flawed' system and suggests that the focus given to the incident by The Sunday Game was instrumental in the issue being revisited. Again, what's new Martin? And why the furore now?

=You're a cheating nordie hating basket Breheny!

It has been clear for a long time that television coverage and programme directors/editors, along with studio pundits, have been setting the agenda on these matters.

=Now it's my turn.

The print media personnel, who invariably revel in such controversies, are hardly well placed to point the finger at The Sunday Game

=hypocrisy aside, neither am I, but who's to notice?

We often hear of a player being involved in an incident and, depending on who he is, the action is described in a sanitised fashion as being 'totally out of character'

=Yes, I mean you Brolly and your bloody "roofing the Foreglen club in his spare time defence"!

while other players are never given the benefit of the doubt.

=It's not fair on the Tyrone players who are too busy training for All-Irelands to do good works in the community.

While it is an indisputable fact that, on occasion, players go to ground too easily, the lazy description, by some observers, that this always constitutes a dive is equally unfair and inaccurate.

=while by saying "too easily" that might imply simulation bordering on cheating, diving is too harsh a word for it and you must agree that there are circumstances to mitigate simulation or cheating ...unless you're a cheating nordie hating basket!

Players and teams then often get labelled as cheats and this undoubtedly influences decision-makers in live-time situations in the future.

=2003 was 2003, can ye's not let it go?

In the modern game, players are coached to roll tackles and avoid head-on collisions if possible

=Tyrone are well drilled on how to buy a foul and now yous are starting to catch on!

That the physical contact wasn't as severe as it might have been may well have been due to Owen's skill in getting out of the way and preserving his own well-being as far as possible.

=Owen is one of the best divers we have. God bless his cotton (multi-coloured) socks.

Ironically, between the sending off in the 30th minute and half-time at 37 minutes, when John Bannon stopped the game with Ryan McMenamin in an advanced attacking position, Cork were awarded seven frees to Tyrone's none.

=It's a well known law in Tyrone that fouls should even themselves out over any given 7 minute period. Tyrone never systematically foul to stop dominating teams and when they do it should be disregarded under the "7 minute" rule. Games should not be stopped (regardless of the time) when Tyrone have possession and definitely not when Ryan McMenamin is advancing. You're a cheating nordie hating basket Bannon!

With the advantage of replays, that description of the incident is definite evidence of a case for an appointment with a good optician

=You're a cheating nordie hating basket Carney!

Nor did I hear, or read, anything from those who have a particularly acute eye for theatrics and dives giving any credit to Kevin for his controlled reaction to what was an off-the-ball full-frontal shoulder charge

=over the last 6 years of systematic theatrics it should have stood out for God's sake! You're all cheating nordie hating baskets!

Rule 146(b)0.G. unequivocally describes 'striking or attempting to strike with arm, elbow, hand or knee' as a category II offence which carries a minimum four-week suspension

=when I say "unequivocally" of course I wouldn't include sly digs that might provoke a more violent response. No, no Brian's arm slipped. Unequivocally.

You would have saved us all the self-serving hypocritical whinge Arsene Mickey if you'd just left it at this:

If television coverage and punditry was confined to the quality of football, and the CCCC transparently and consistently went about the business of dealing with indiscretions, then the ultimate goal for us all, equitable accountability, is more likely to occur

Drumanee 1

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on September 04, 2009, 04:34:54 PM
Quote from: Drumanee 1 on September 04, 2009, 01:36:27 PM

I (respectfully) disagree. Typical Father Mickey mealy-mouthed whinge. The good points he was trying to make got drowned by the holier-than-thou bullshit.

Here's some examples (with translation)...

Breheny has suddenly discovered this to be a ‘flawed’ system and suggests that the focus given to the incident by The Sunday Game was instrumental in the issue being revisited. Again, what’s new Martin? And why the furore now?

=You're a cheating nordie hating basket Breheny!

It has been clear for a long time that television coverage and programme directors/editors, along with studio pundits, have been setting the agenda on these matters.

=Now it's my turn.

The print media personnel, who invariably revel in such controversies, are hardly well placed to point the finger at The Sunday Game

=hypocrisy aside, neither am I, but who's to notice?

We often hear of a player being involved in an incident and, depending on who he is, the action is described in a sanitised fashion as being ‘totally out of character’

=Yes, I mean you Brolly and your bloody "roofing the Foreglen club in his spare time defence"!

while other players are never given the benefit of the doubt.

=It's not fair on the Tyrone players who are too busy training for All-Irelands to do good works in the community.

While it is an indisputable fact that, on occasion, players go to ground too easily, the lazy description, by some observers, that this always constitutes a dive is equally unfair and inaccurate.

=while by saying "too easily" that might imply simulation bordering on cheating, diving is too harsh a word for it and you must agree that there are circumstances to mitigate simulation or cheating ...unless you're a cheating nordie hating basket!

=2003 was 2003, can ye's not let it go?

In the modern game, players are coached to roll tackles and avoid head-on collisions if possible

=Tyrone are well drilled on how to buy a foul and now yous are starting to catch on!

That the physical contact wasn’t as severe as it might have been may well have been due to Owen’s skill in getting out of the way and preserving his own well-being as far as possible.

=Owen is one of the best divers we have. God bless his cotton (multi-coloured) socks.

Ironically, between the sending off in the 30th minute and half-time at 37 minutes, when John Bannon stopped the game with Ryan McMenamin in an advanced attacking position, Cork were awarded seven frees to Tyrone’s none.

=It's a well known law in Tyrone that fouls should even themselves out over any given 7 minute period. Tyrone never systematically foul to stop dominating teams and when they do it should be disregarded under the "7 minute" rule. Games should not be stopped (regardless of the time) when Tyrone have possession and definitely not when Ryan McMenamin is advancing. You're a cheating nordie hating basket Bannon!

With the advantage of replays, that description of the incident is definite evidence of a case for an appointment with a good optician

=You're a cheating nordie hating basket Carney!

Nor did I hear, or read, anything from those who have a particularly acute eye for theatrics and dives giving any credit to Kevin for his controlled reaction to what was an off-the-ball full-frontal shoulder charge

=over the last 6 years of systematic theatrics it should have stood out for God's sake! You're all cheating nordie hating baskets!

Rule 146(b)0.G. unequivocally describes ‘striking or attempting to strike with arm, elbow, hand or knee’ as a category II offence which carries a minimum four-week suspension

=when I say "unequivocally" of course I wouldn't include sly digs that might provoke a more violent response. No, no Brian's arm slipped. Unequivocally.

You would have saved us all the self-serving hypocritical whinge Arsene Mickey if you'd just left it at this:

If television coverage and punditry was confined to the quality of football, and the CCCC transparently and consistently went about the business of dealing with indiscretions, then the ultimate goal for us all, equitable accountability, is more likely to occur

amm,a,am.what can i say i am totally speechless and have no retort

tonesfirstandlast

When is the Irish News going to plug on this weekly article. Jaysus, it is boring stuff. Can he not come up with anything original by himself other than responding to something someone has written in the Southern press.
A brilliant manager there can be no doubt.[ But you would expect him to be more inspirational in his team talks than he is in this column].
A writer he aint!