Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

BennyCake

Quote from: lenny on January 03, 2014, 04:52:47 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 03, 2014, 02:08:46 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on January 03, 2014, 12:58:39 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on January 01, 2014, 04:57:32 PM
Dont know how everyone has overlooked Henry Downey.

Best player i ever seen play and a personal hero of mine.

Great player but not even the best on the 93 Derry team.

I agree.

See Harte's whinging in the Irish News again . . . dear lord someone give him the boot he offers nothing new or interesting at all!! If Tyronies want to hear another one of his rants against Universities/New Rules/Compromise Rules they should give him a regular feature in Teamtalk rather than polluting a paper that normally serves the rest of us quite well!!

He is unbelievably depressing to read. I stopped buying the irish news on fridays for a while to avoid his column. If he didn't have a vested interest in the things he writes about then he would have more credibility. He is using his position though to promote a tyrone agenda and it is something I think the irish news should not have allowed. At the very least the sports editor should be tearing to pieces some of his articles since they are blatantly designed to influence referees/media in favour of tyrone.

You're right. I wrote to the Off The Fence section in the Irish News a year or so ago, basically saying the same thing. But I was shot down for saying so.

I've said it on here too, that Harte has brought cynicism to a whole new level within the GAA, in the last decade. On and off the pitch. He may have been good for GAA in Tyrone, but not for the GAA as a whole.

red hander

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on December 29, 2013, 03:30:23 AM
How can anyone leave Seamus Moynihan out of his best team of the last 25 years ? Its simply impossible !!................Mickey Harte.....is  he completely clueless or does he just hate Kerry ?

Aye, totally clueless, especially in Croke Park when playing Kerry.

orangeman

Quote from: GAAboardmod1 on January 03, 2014, 04:30:55 PM
5 day ban for Agent Orange.

Is that the first black card of the year ?

Or is that a red card ?

red hander

I agree.

See Harte's whinging in the Irish News again . . . dear lord someone give him the boot he offers nothing new or interesting at all!! If Tyronies want to hear another one of his rants against Universities/New Rules/Compromise Rules they should give him a regular feature in Teamtalk rather than polluting a paper that normally serves the rest of us quite well!!

Anybody forcing you to read it? Do what I do with Joe Brolly's writings, ignore them ... simples

trueblue1234

I agree.

He is unbelievably depressing to read. I stopped buying the irish news on fridays for a while to avoid his column. If he didn't have a vested interest in the things he writes about then he would have more credibility. He is using his position though to promote a tyrone agenda and it is something I think the irish news should not have allowed. At the very least the sports editor should be tearing to pieces some of his articles since they are blatantly designed to influence referees/media in favour of tyrone.

Don't quote me on this but I don't think you have to read every word just because you buy the paper. Your not going to sit a test.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

EC Unique

Quote from: hardstation on January 03, 2014, 05:37:38 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on January 03, 2014, 02:15:50 PM
I'm surprised there was no feed back on his "best" team of the last 25 years in Off the Fence yesterday. God forbid the IN would be censoring criticism of one of their columnists!!
Where would Off the Fence end if they ran that?
100 different people would pick 100 different teams. He picked his, end of. He isn't having anybody not picked shot dead.

People amaze me.

I stopped being surprised at people going out of their way to get annoyed some time ago. Must have very little going on in their lives.

johnneycool

Quote from: BennyCake on January 03, 2014, 05:05:24 PM

I agree.

You're right. I wrote to the Off The Fence section in the Irish News a year or so ago, basically saying the same thing. But I was shot down for saying so.

I've said it on here too, that Harte has brought cynicism to a whole new level within the GAA, in the last decade. On and off the pitch. He may have been good for GAA in Tyrone, but not for the GAA as a whole.

Tyrone is a big GAA county with a big Irish News readership, hardly surprising they bust their balls to get  Harte on board

J OGorman

Personally speaking I reckon the column has run its course. There is only so much you can say and that has to be lessened when you are involved as a current county manager, and more importantly, Tyrone folk are unbelievably hard to listen to when talking about football...not a sentence goes by that doesnt end with 'in his back pocket'

DennistheMenace

Mickey must be one of the most boring, banal and predictable GAA writers about. Week afte week his column stinks of a condescending tone on all things GAA related. I like the newspaper but I think i'm going to stop buying on a Friday,

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: DennistheMenace on January 18, 2014, 01:20:46 AM
Mickey must be one of the most boring, banal and predictable GAA writers about. Week afte week his column stinks of a condescending tone on all things GAA related. I like the newspaper but I think i'm going to stop buying on a Friday,

Could you not just skip a page (nose and face and all that)?  :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

armaghniac

Perhaps Mickey should take a break and Paul Grimley could put his ideas forward instead.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tyroneman

It's a real mystery why the IN would give a column to one of (if not the) most successful county managers currently still in the game.........

And to think he's only generated nearly 60 pages on this board........ ::)

Doesn't take much effort to turn the page lads and ladies.

It seems he can't win though.  If he writes softly he's
Quoteboring,banal and predictable
[/i]and if he expresses an opinion (eg college player issue) he's ]
Quoteusing his position to promote a Tyrone agenda

norabeag

Like most here I find Mickey's column tedious in the extreme but for me today's was as bad as it gets. A week after the Railway Cup semis Mickey spends a whole page giving us a blow by blow account of the ulster Leinster match. Surely we had that all on Monday. What's happening to the Irish News. Last week we had a full page on Kenny Archer's run in with a steward at Pairc Esler .

BennyCake

A couple of paragraphs would have been suitable, Mickey.

Kevin Cassidy's column in Gaelic Life have been excellent.