Mickey Harte joins the Irish News

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainboii

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 02, 2009, 11:32:47 PM
A lot of excitement over nothing. As a current manager he'll have absolutely nothing of any note to say on anything outside of Tyrone in case he makes someone cry. Current players, managers etc are bloody useless at this thing in any sport.

Exactly. He's too involved so his musings will likely be inoffensive and bland. Oisin McConville and Benny Coulter both have columns in the Newry Democrat and they're always boring as fcuk.

Puckoon

Listening to Oisin talk - thats hardly surprising.

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 02, 2009, 09:11:30 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2009, 06:39:22 PM

What about grants for training (which cannot be described as pay for play) or more particularly the prospect of players striking to get the grants? I am not taking a position on the issue of players receiving money here, I am just suggesting that if he did and subsequently took money to talk about it, then in my opinion that would be hypocritical.

Another totally blind assumption, and it's your prerogative to assume, which so far on this thread has only made an ass out of you, not me  ;)

And you think that the above is an argument? Or even a position??

If it is worthy of debate then surely you can deliver even half an argument, instead capitulation disguised as an insult.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on February 03, 2009, 03:13:46 AM
If it is worthy of debate then surely you can deliver even half an argument, instead capitulation disguised as an insult.

Why don't you wait until something is actually printed, instead of uninformed conjecture, and then engage in your righteous indignation. Or alternatively, lighten up.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Doogie Browser

Benny Tierney wrote his column every week when he was a member of the Armagh management team, apart from terrible lame jokes about 'er indoors' it wasn't a bad read.  Was never controversial and deliberately non-confrontational which must have been difficult for an Armagh man  ;)

BennyHarp

I dont think you have to be controversial to write a column every week - Harry Redknapp writes a column for one of the UK papers and it doesnt seem to be a conflict of interest! Mickey will more than likely give his view on the weeks games and repeat what he says in every press conference about tyrone's preparations and performances! Dont be expecting insights and controversy!!
That was never a square ball!!

Maguire01

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 03, 2009, 11:41:55 AM
I dont think you have to be controversial to write a column every week - Harry Redknapp writes a column for one of the UK papers and it doesnt seem to be a conflict of interest! Mickey will more than likely give his view on the weeks games and repeat what he says in every press conference about tyrone's preparations and performances! Dont be expecting insights and controversy!!
No, but you do have to write something interesting enough for people to want to read.

thewobbler

A star name should offer at least one of these two things:

- An expert insight into the world of county football, in a non-footballing way (lifestyle, personalities, etc)
- An expert opinion on what has happened, and what will happen, on the actual field.

If they can't provide that, then you might as well have Christine Bleakley writing the column. At least her mugshot would be worth looking at twice.

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 03, 2009, 09:16:12 AM
Quote from: muppet on February 03, 2009, 03:13:46 AM

Why don't you wait until something is actually printed, instead of uninformed conjecture, and then engage in your righteous indignation. Or alternatively, lighten up.

All along I said if. It is hypothesis. Most people do it every day of their lives. You will probably do it on this forum before Tyrone matches this summer. You seem to think that shouting the word assumption all the time wins your argument. It isn't even a valid point.

And as for lightening up, you are the one who won't accept that I am entitled to my opinion. I'm not the one trying to persuade anyone to think differently.
MWWSI 2017

cornafean

A lot of resentment here towards Mickey. He must be doing something right  :)
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Exclusive, Mickey Harte's first column for the Irish News, what a scoop!...

Brave New Gaelic World

A Chairde,

I am delighted to be given this opportunity to spread the Gaelic Gospel through the good pages of the Irish News.

First off, may I take this opportunity to state that all money secured from this venture shall be channelled to a very worthy and charitable cause – a new king-size Slumberland orthopaedic bed for Jack O'Connor of Dromid Pearses in Kerry, with one-foot thick sumptuous pillows of the softest duck-down feathers and a king-size duck-down dream-duvet, since I hear he's be having a serious amount of sleepless nights over the last few years, and his nightmares have been particularly garish, ghoulish and instrusive since September 21st last. Once Jack is sorted out (the third Sunday of September '09 should finish him off nicely), I'll look about doing a few more deserving managerial cases. They are all human, after all.

At this juncture, a full four months and more since our most recent All-Ireland triumph, I am finally in a position to reveal the secret of our success in 2008: facial hair, and my advice to every player for 2009 would be to grow your facial hair as long as humanly possible, preferably to football boot length and beyond; and we are already in the process of framing the wording of the blood-or-death-pact for 2009.

We have a tough opener in the Ulster Championship against the current holders Armagh, and I can guarantee here and now we'll be in tip-top-tip-top shape for this particular assignment. After the disappointment of losing to Down in the replay last year we really don't want a repeat of that one, so we're really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really going to go all out to win that particular one, so, beware Armagh (really).

And finally, a couple of words about the value of sound sports psychology on the sporting field: very important.

tonesfirstandlast

I couldn't care less whether he writes or not or what he writes but they didn't have to put the price up to pay him!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on February 03, 2009, 03:16:06 PM
And as for lightening up, you are the one who won't accept that I am entitled to my opinion. I'm not the one trying to persuade anyone to think differently.

But, even if he does write about football it's not hypocrisy: he's writing, not playing Gaelic Games, and he has never begrudged anyone making a bob or two as a spin-off from their participation in Gaelic Games. That's what you have failed to grasp, that they are two separate spheres, and not even two sides of the one coin.

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 03, 2009, 03:43:20 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 03, 2009, 03:16:06 PM

But, even if he does write about football it's not hypocrisy: he's writing, not playing Gaelic Games, and he has never begrudged anyone making a bob or two as a spin-off from their participation in Gaelic Games. That's what you have failed to grasp, that they are two separate spheres, and not even two sides of the one coin.

Getting paid means taking money no matter which way you look at it.

I'll leave it to George Bernard Shaw:

"He was at a party once and he told this woman that everyone would agree to do anything for money, if the price was high enough. `Surely not, she said.' `Oh yes,' he said. `Well, I wouldn't,' she said. `Oh yes you would,' he said. `For instance,' he said, `would you sleep with me for... for a million pounds?' `Well,' she said, `maybe for a million I would, yes.' `Would you do it for ten shillings?' said Bernard Shaw. `Certainly not!' said the woman `What do you take me for? A prostitute?' `We've established that already,' said Bernard Shaw. `We're just trying to fix your price now!' "
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on February 03, 2009, 03:53:34 PM
Getting paid means taking money no matter which way you look at it.

So, every ball and hurley manufacturer, every groundskeeper, every official, every food purveyor for the after-match refreshments, they are all hypocrites in your book because they're making money off the back of amateur efforts, however tenuous the link may be.

Taking your viewpoint to it's logical conclusion: you have a problem with every writer who gets paid for writing columns or books about amateur activities, from amateur macramé to origami, correct? If not, why the inconsistency? (In your own words this time)