Tyrone v Kerry NFL Round 2

Started by Kerry Mike, February 01, 2009, 04:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Puckoon on February 24, 2009, 04:12:52 PM
What exactly does he say at a hearing? ???

I hardly touched him?
It was just a light squeeze?

Here - you put your nuts out there and Ill show you how gentle I was?

Seriously - whats the precedent for appealing this?

Wouldn't you love to be a fly in the pants when that is going on ?

SidelineKick

I hardly touched him?

Exactly.  Its a load of balls. The whole thing is driving me nuts.  Anyone who reduces this suspension should get the sack.  This is just the tip of the iceberg, there'll be more c**k-ups like this.  Willie get away with it? Personally I hope he gets it lengthened, would like to see him shafted.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

antigpa

Listen Im pro player and antigpa and I dont think theres any conflict there, Im certainly no fan of Tyrone football either, but I think Mc Menamin has been hung out to dry here.  In fact Im new to this board and if your are going to lynch the players then Ill not be here too long.  But Ill ask the crew on here.  If it was your own family getting this bad publicity what way would you handle it, I played football myself and amongst other things I once broke a mans jaw after I crossed the white line.  It was thuggish and I regretted it but it was certainly worse than Mc Menamens actions.  I apologised after the game and visited the fella in hospital - he had stood on my toes all throughout the game - so he was at it too, but we both crossed the white line and alls fair.  To be honest it was the silliest thing Ive ever seen in my life, a tad funny too particularly the rection from Galvin and I think he has too sullied his hard man reputation - Its maybe the reason why our gaelic games can never be mixed, the men would all be rolling around the ground.  But let the lads play the games, we'll enjoy watching them but leave it out when they stray.  

SidelineKick

Quote from: antigpa on February 24, 2009, 04:35:37 PM
Listen Im pro player and antigpa and I dont think theres any conflict there, Im certainly no fan of Tyrone football either, but I think Mc Menamin has been hung out to dry here.  In fact Im new to this board and if your are going to lynch the players then Ill not be here too long.  But Ill ask the crew on here.  If it was your own family getting this bad publicity what way would you handle it, I played football myself and amongst other things I once broke a mans jaw after I crossed the white line.  It was thuggish and I regretted it but it was certainly worse than Mc Menamens actions.  I apologised after the game and visited the fella in hospital - he had stood on my toes all throughout the game - so he was at it too, but we both crossed the white line and alls fair.  To be honest it was the silliest thing Ive ever seen in my life, a tad funny too particularly the rection from Galvin and I think he has too sullied his hard man reputation.  But let the lads play the games, we'll enjoy watching them but leave it out when they stray.  

I'm sure Galvin isnt on here writing about the incident (although he could be), but as supporters we are allowed obliged to give our opinions on things.  Not too often opinions don't differ! Its a forum for discussion. Some of the comments are a bit too far but everyone (within reason) is entitled to share their opinion.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 24, 2009, 02:00:46 PM
Good man Mickey, what a rock of sense...

Red Hands boss slams 'Ricey' ban
By Brendan Crossan
24/02/2009

MICKEY Harte has slammed the extremity of the six-week ban meted out to Ryan McMenamin – but willingly accepted the defender's behaviour was "not good enough".

Tyrone defender McMenamin (below) has been hit with the ban for grabbing Kerry player Paul Galvin by the privates, for which he will miss four NFL games. Harte yesterday confirmed an appeal would be launched, while the player has asked for a personal hearing. McMenamin was charged with infringing Category II ("striking or attempting to strike with arm, elbow or knee" or "behaving in any way which is dangerous to an opponent"), which normally carries a four or eight-week ban, but rarely six weeks. "Ryan McMenamin, like any other player, will cross over the line from time-to-time and if he's found guilty of that then he's prepared to take whatever comes his way, provided it is the correct punishment," said Harte. "I have no doubt that that particular sentence will be challenged or appealed." The Tyrone manager has spoken to the Dromore defender about his on-field conduct during last week's National League game against Kerry, but maintained the punishment didn't fit the crime.

Harte added: "We all agree that it wasn't the proper thing to do and didn't look good. Ryan has acknowledged and recognised that and I have no doubt that he would accept the requisite punishment, but I don't think he should be getting anything more severe than that. "If we're talking about the severity of the incident then there was absolutely no injury to the player; he was able to continue on. "That is, in no way, to condone what he did because it wasn't good enough and Ryan has agreed with that, and he has regrets for what he has done."

The three-time All-Ireland-winning manager also expressed concern with some of the media coverage that followed the incident involving McMenamin and Galvin. In his Sunday Independent column, former Meath player and RTE pundit Colm O'Rourke described McMenamin as a "brat" and labelled him a "disgrace". While not referring directly to O'Rourke's comments, Harte added: "There are a lot of people quick to take the high moral ground and indeed some of them would fall into the category of 'people in glass houses (or used to) shouldn't throw stones'. "I don't think it is for anyone else to make those judgements. There is a code of conduct that we all try to adhere to and when people break that code of conduct there are sanctions – and those sanctions should be appropriate."

Harte did not stipulate what he would regard a fair punishment for McMenamin's indiscretion. If the six-week ban is upheld, the player will miss games against Galway, Westmeath, Donegal and Derry, but is free to play against Mayo on April 12. Harte said: "Until everything is done and dusted, I think everybody else would do well to hold their own counsel and opinion to themselves where it ultimately belongs. "Probably one of the most difficult things in life is to be objective. We're much better in being subjective and I've no doubt that people in the media fall into that same category quite often."

Meanwhile, Harte has been encouraged by Stephen O'Neill's progress from a knee injury sustained against Dublin. The former Allstar attacker will be back within a "four to six-week period" from the date of the injury on January 31.

??? ??? ???
"Stercus accidit"

pedro

Harte added: "There are a lot of people quick to take the high moral ground and indeed some of them would fall into the category of 'people in glass houses (or used to) shouldn't throw stones'.

While I have the highest of respect for MH, where does he get off with this sort of statement?? He is quite happy to speak out and be the ambassador on how football should be played, on the internation rules, grants etc. but when something unsavoury he does what a lot of Tyrone posters do here, turn a blind eye. No one can persuade me to believe that McMenamin doesn't deserve a ban. He was acting like a tr**p from the start of the game to the finish and rightfully deserved it. The thing is, he doesn't have to do those sort of thiings. he is a good enough player to be at that
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

Mike Sheehy

QuoteOut of respect for the next opponents of each team this weekend I think this thread should be wound down.  Sheehy you should be strung up.. by yer nads - any man on the internet at that time of the morning has only a partial interest in the GAA board, dont talk to the rest of us about cupping.... 

duh..homer...ever heard of time zones....also, you can keep your string and yourself away from my nads....... bloody Tymoan perverts ! I'll bet you have a monobrow as well

StGallsGAA

Mickey has called it right.  Colm O'Rourke was some gyppo in his day to go calling anyone a disgrace.

ardmhachaabu

I am losing the respect I have for MH.  He should have just said that monobrow would take his punishment like a man.

He is right that some comments in the media have been harsh but like, if you act the maggot you must expect people to say you are a maggot...
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Tyrone Dreamer

I hardly touched him?

Tyrone in my opinion have an excellent case and I think they will get the ban reduced to 4 weeks. Its a very simple case from what I can see. They get the video's of what Paddy Campbell did in 2004 and what Kenny did in the hurling last year. They take them to the hearing and play them. The incidents are similar to what Ricey did but in Kenny's case in particular it was definately much worse than what Ricey did. They point out that both players got 4 weeks for these incidents. They will then ask how can the gaa justify giving Ricey a suspension for 50% longer.

People can say what they like but I really dont see how different players can get different sentences for the same incidents. Its clear that media reaction to Ricey because of who he is has lead to him being treated differently to other players. A clear cut case.

Also did pints and the other Armagh posters have much to say last year about the Kenny incident? Their own players have carried out much more dangerous acts as well over the last few years and I havent saw them coming out with the same moral outrage. Remember for example Francie's cowardly and highly dangerous tackle on Mickey Linden. I'd be much more concerned with something like that.

Mike Sheehy

I think it is perfectly obvious that Harte says one thing to the media and tells his players to do the opposite. I believe he is fully aware of, and encourages, the shitetalking by McMenamin as well as the eyeing of the hill type gestures by Mulligan and all the other rubbish. He's very good at PR, I'll give him that, he has the media and a lot of gullible Gaels fooled,  but anyone who cant see through that act by now is, frankly, an idiot.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on February 24, 2009, 07:07:45 PM
I think it is perfectly obvious that Harte says one thing to the media and tells his players to do the opposite. I believe he is fully aware of, and encourages, the shitetalking by McMenamin as well as the eyeing of the hill type gestures by Mulligan and all the other rubbish. He's very good at PR, I'll give him that, he has the media and a lot of gullible Gaels fooled,  but anyone who cant see through that act by now is, frankly, an idiot.

I'd imagine most of the managers are very different animals back stage-hardly an enlightened comment

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on February 24, 2009, 07:07:45 PM
I tend to agree Mike.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

tyronefan

amazing ms  not alone are you not in the country but you are not even in the same time zone and yet you seem to know more about mh that those people living beside him

ONeill

I think Tyrone should protest by squeezing the balls clean off Joyce and Meehan.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.