Should we play another All Ireland Final in New York?

Started by Zulu, January 30, 2009, 10:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

After reading the piece in the Irish Times excellent 125th anniversary magazine about the All Ireland final between Kerry and Cavan, the thought struck me that we should consider playing another AI final in the states, New York, Boston, Chicago or San Fransisco would all be possibilities. The boost it would give the games out there, the increased profile that doing so would generate here and elsewhere and the opportunity for fans to travel to the states and take in an AI final would be wonderful. Are there draw backs I'm over looking? The fact that the 47 final is one of the most famous suggests to me that it would be a great thing to repeat and something that would only add to the rich history of the GAA. Any thoughts?

Donagh

Only if the plane fare is included with the new season ticket.

heffo

From a logistical perspective, I don't think it's feasible:

Gaelic park, the Bronx holds about 2k
Gaelic park Chicago, about the same
Canton, Boston - same
San Fran - redeveloped but the same

Unless you were to hold it in Giants Stadium or Soldier field or somewhere..

Zulu

Well yeah I think if it was to be done it would have to be in an American football field, the Patriots play on a grass field as far as I know and I'm sure there are other suitable locations. A number of college football fields would be big enough as well, finding a location would be the least of our problems I would think.

J70

Quote from: heffo on January 30, 2009, 11:28:21 PM
From a logistical perspective, I don't think it's feasible:

Gaelic park, the Bronx holds about 2k
Gaelic park Chicago, about the same
Canton, Boston - same
San Fran - redeveloped but the same

Unless you were to hold it in Giants Stadium or Soldier field or somewhere..

Given the time of year, Giants Stadium is an impossibility, with the Jets and Giants playing there on alternate Sundays. Giants stadium (or its successor, opening next year) may slightly too short for GAA anyway. There are two new baseball stadiums opening in the city in April, but the AI final coincides with the end of the regular season in baseball, so that might not be a goer either (assuming the fields would be big enough for a GAA match). There are no other realistic options in the NYC area. The Red Bulls are building a new stadium just across in Harrison, NJ, but the capacity will only be about 25,000 and, anyway, a soccer field is far too small.

Tyrone Dreamer

Would be good for games promotion abroad possibly but will never happen and shoudn't happen. Would be too unfair on fans and players for starters. Considering the length of time between semi final and final it would be impossible to organise. Considering the complaints about it being £8 into recent county games I could only imagine the outcry if a final was held in America.

Zulu

Sure plenty of the Connacht lads head over to New York for the Connacht championship every second year and it offers the chance for many Irish people to reunite after numerous years away from each other. Obviously it would mean that many Irish people wouldn't get to the final from here but many more from the US could make the final. It would easily sell out a stadium holding 80 - 100,000 people and it would give us massive publicity it the US, which would help the GAA community over there. I think we should definitely look to play league finals and AI finals outside of Ireland every now and again, there is great work being down all around the world by Irish and non-Irish to promote the games, bringing our best players and the biggest occasion in the Irish sporting to their backyard would provide them with a tremendous boost and a fitting reward for the work they do.

Zapatista

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Zulu on January 31, 2009, 12:28:30 AM
Sure plenty of the Connacht lads head over to New York for the Connacht championship every second year and it offers the chance for many Irish people to reunite after numerous years away from each other. Obviously it would mean that many Irish people wouldn't get to the final from here but many more from the US could make the final. It would easily sell out a stadium holding 80 - 100,000 people and it would give us massive publicity it the US, which would help the GAA community over there. I think we should definitely look to play league finals and AI finals outside of Ireland every now and again, there is great work being down all around the world by Irish and non-Irish to promote the games, bringing our best players and the biggest occasion in the Irish sporting to their backyard would provide them with a tremendous boost and a fitting reward for the work they do.
Just what is required in the midst of an economic meltdown!

thejuice

nice idea but Giants stadium and soldier field pitch sizes are way too small i think. NFL pitches are a good bit shorter than GAA piches. thought it might be a good idea to do in england but yo'd have the same problem
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 31, 2009, 08:36:30 AM
Just what is required in the midst of an economic meltdown!

Tony, that's the first sensible posting on this thread
Careful now

Tyrone Dreamer

Yes but them matches are arranged years in advance. Teams know what year they're playing there. People who want to go can orgainse it long in advance and players have time to make arrangements. Not every player could turn around after a semi final and tell there boss they're going to America for a week in 3 weeks time. It would be some hassle for county boards to arrange transport/accomadation and impossible for fans even those who may have attended. Wouldnt be fair on people who follow the team year after year to miss out on an All Ireland final. Nice idea though.

Zulu

Jesus lads nobody suggested it had to be next years AI, I'd imagine between one thing and another it would take a few years to organize so if the GAA were to even consider it, it is probably 10+ years away. A regular season American football game in London sold out in a few hours there last week and these games are providing a massive boost to the sport in England. I think it would be fitting reward for GAA people in other countries if we could bring the odd AI to their shores and celebrate the biggest day of the year with them. I think some people are delighted we are in a recession because they can now use it as a reason not to do anything, I'm not saying this suggestion is the all singing all dancing idea of the year but we have to look for ways to drive the GAA forward. By the way the last time we did it was just after WW2 so the economic situation was hardly ideal then either.

QuoteYes but them matches are arranged years in advance. Teams know what year they're playing there. People who want to go can orgainse it long in advance and players have time to make arrangements. Not every player could turn around after a semi final and tell there boss they're going to America for a week in 3 weeks time

Well I've addressed this already TD but it appears I didn't expressed myself properly in my original post, I don't mean an AI any time soon but arrange it for a few years from now. Players and CB's who get to AI QF could make preliminary plans around the knowledge the game will be played abroad. I'm not saying it would be without problems but I know some lads who have bought Heino Cup tickets long before they know who will be in it, I'd imagine many GAA fans would do likewise.

Anyway, it won't happen any time soon and some of you have come up with issues that I hadn't considered but despite this I do believe the GAA should do this again sometime in the not too distant future.

anglocelt39

Definitely not, the Polo Grounds in 47 is the only thing we have left to gloat about
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Kevin

A league final or even a marquee league game sometime would be really nice.

Selfishly I'd love for them to put it on in the narrow and shortened Red Bull Stadium.

Looks like it will be a great facility and a suitable capacity for one or either of the above.