The Southern "Irish"

Started by rrhf, January 30, 2009, 05:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 02, 2009, 07:35:29 AM
Quote from: Tankie on February 02, 2009, 02:22:22 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 01, 2009, 09:52:01 PM
Should have demanded answers muppet, even if they werent going to get them it would have meant something to the nationalist community in the north.

What are you on about Wsteve?

Get of the cross POG, you boys talk some shite, why dont all you boys working in Britain walk out of your jobs in protest! What side of the strike would you be on in this 'British jobs for British workers' shite they are going on with?

when the union lads come over and ask you nationality i expect you would whip out the Irish passport and leave the office  ::)
Without a moment's hesitation. 

I'm not sure why I should be walking out of my job in protest though?

Well they want 'British jobs for British workers' so you wouldnt be leaving but more so getting kicked out!
Grand Slam Saturday!

muppet

Quote from: Hereiam on February 02, 2009, 10:18:35 AM
Was going to start a thread similar to this. Was going to ask the posters from the south if they think that england has too much of an influence on them. No point in asking fellow northern posters as it is being forced on us. The main reason I ask this is by just watching RTE TV3 and the amount of British shows running on them. If the south had any sense they would not show any British soaps as this is portraying the British way of life that southerns may start to replicate. I now it sounds stupid but TV is the true way to Brain wash people.

Let's all move to Greenland (sounds more Irish than 'Ire' land) and burn all TVs as they were invented by a Brit. Obviously we should stop speaking english and we should turn our backs to England at all times, so we should always face west. Cars (no British parts of course) would have to be modified to allow us to face west at all times and obviously for a trip from Sligo to Dublin you would have to reverse all the way.

I'm sure you have fully thought through this wonderful ideology so let's hear it. Share it all with us.
MWWSI 2017

Hereiam

Well a prime example of this is the BBC trying to get broadcasting rights in the middle east so that they can start spreading their bullshit. I have no doubt this has been factored into the Irag conflict. Makes sense to me.

Lar Naparka

Of course people down here cared about the plight of Catholicsup North and did whatever they could to highlight the plight of their fellow-Nationalists but what could they really do?
Pint says we should have 'spoken out.' He also says he was sold out. I think he's saying that us down here got our freedom by leaving him and others like him in the lurch when it counted most.
I'm sorry anyone in the North should feel that way, and many do, but the facts don't quite add up to that conclusion.
Since Partition up to a few short years ago, The Republic was skint. We "enjoyed" a much lower standard of living than the Catholic minority in Northern Ireland. Emigration was widespread throughout the western half of the country. Our tale of woe could go on and on....
Down here previous generations hadn't much time to worry about anyone else and that's for sure. But De Valera did worry. The old devil never shut up; he refused the Allies the use of our deep sea ports during the war because the Six Counties were occupied and faced the threat of an invasion by the Allies.
Sean Lemass was next and he took up the fight for greater understanding between North and South. He damn near lost his job just because he met Terence O'Neill, the chief honcho at Stormont. O'Neill wasn't as lucky as his own shower kicked him out for being a Lundy.  Charlie certainly was up for a united Ireland but he was faced by Maggie Thatcher and that cranky oul' hoor was impossible to deal with.
Talking to her was like playing handball off a haystack!

There was serious hatred and hostility on all sides back then and there was little point in 'speaking out' to anyone because no one was prepared to listen.
All along the southern Irish were trying to get support from Irfish Americans but Ronald Reagan was never going to fight with Maggie; they were two of a kind. We were 'speaking out' alright but no one was listening.
Albert Reynolds was the man responsible for getting the Provo's leadership to sit around a table. Don't forget that there were some serious head bangers in that organisation; they weren't all idealists, not by a long shot. Reynolds has sweet damn all to recommend him but getting dialogue with the IRA going was to his great credit.

Ahern, Blair and Bill Clinton brought about the GFA and Ahern left his mother's funeral to go north and sign the bloody agreement. Not many would claim that we were doing sweet eff all at our end in those days!
Now, if we weren't speaking out since the time of Partition what else could we have done?
Invade the North? When Jack Lynch considered that in 1969, he found the army didn't have the equipment to make it from Gormanstown to the border, let alone cross it. His govt. did seriously consider invading and capturing the area around Newry  but it would have been madness to do this as the Brits would annihilate the Irish lads who had a serious shortage of ammo and whose lorries and (2) armoured cars were not in an roadworthy condition.
Tell me, Pints, what exactly would you consider as 'speaking out?'
One way or the other, you are going to be stuck with EG for the foreseeable future, either with us or without us. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Zapatista

That's quite a bit of revisionism there Lar. Fair play to ye.

A much lower standard of living?

Ahern, Clinton and Blair????

Ahern leaving his mothers funeral???? Was that the same mother who's passing he used to explain dodgy cash dealing in the tribunal???

muppet

Quote from: Zapatista on February 02, 2009, 02:24:40 PM
That's quite a bit of revisionism there Lar. Fair play to ye.

A much lower standard of living?

Ahern, Clinton and Blair????

Ahern leaving his mothers funeral???? Was that the same mother who's passing he used to explain dodgy cash dealing in the tribunal???

That's one hell of a chip Zap.
MWWSI 2017

Roger

A few dreamers that back romantic nonsense aside, the 'Southern Irish' have a 100% record of voting for Northern Ireland to remain part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

RedandGreenSniper

Classy comment Zapatista, real classy
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Roger

muppet

By the way what is the "Southern Irish"?

Surely you mean the "Irish"?
MWWSI 2017

Roger

Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2009, 02:42:50 PM

Is that question to me?

I never refer to "Irish" unless I mean all the people of Ireland. Southern Irish seems to be the term on here for those that are from the Republic.  I don't think it is the best term but I don't really care as I know what it refers to whether it's right or wrong.  I would usually say 'the Irish Republic' or 'those in the Republic'. 

muppet

It was really referring to the thread title and anyone who used it in the thread.

I see myself as Irish not any particular type of Irish.
MWWSI 2017

Zapatista

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 02, 2009, 02:41:46 PM

Classy comment Zapatista, real classy

His career has only ended as a success by playing the emotion card. He has regularly used the emotion card to get out of hot spots and I don't accept it from him anymore. He is the boy who cried wolf.

BallyhaiseMan

quote author=Roger link=topic=11033.msg468486#msg468486 date=1233585592]
A few dreamers that back romantic nonsense aside, the 'Southern Irish' have a 100% record of voting for Northern Ireland to remain part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
[/quote]

how does Northern Ireland remain part of Northern Ireland?
i think it would have been just better to say the UK  :P

saffron sam2

Quote from: Roger on February 02, 2009, 02:57:23 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2009, 02:42:50 PM

Is that question to me?

I never refer to "Irish" unless I mean all the people of Ireland. Southern Irish seems to be the term on here for those that are from the Republic.  I don't think it is the best term but I don't really care as I know what it refers to whether it's right or wrong.  I would usually say 'the Irish Republic' or 'those in the Republic'. 

Why not free state or freestaters?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet