The Southern "Irish"

Started by rrhf, January 30, 2009, 05:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

Quote from: Zapatista on February 02, 2009, 08:19:28 AM
Quote from: magickingdom on February 01, 2009, 09:40:20 PM

not going to get into this argument too much accept to say that pre EU days there was actually f54k all the irish gov could have done.

Rather than do nothing they decided to actively work against their 'own citizens'.
In what way? Didn't the Irish government turn a blind eye to the IRA for years?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Zapatista

Quote from: Gnevin on February 02, 2009, 08:43:51 AM

not going to get into this argument too much accept to say that pre EU days there was actually f54k all the irish gov could have done.

Rather than do nothing they decided to actively work against their 'own citizens'.

Are you suggesting turning a blind eye to the IRA was helping their citizens? And since they did it for a certain time frame when did confronting the IRA become the right decision?

ziggysego

Who's this Jack everyone speaks of?
Testing Accessibility

Gnevin

Quote from: Zapatista on February 02, 2009, 08:59:10 AM

Are you suggesting turning a blind eye to the IRA was helping their citizens? And since they did it for a certain time frame when did confronting the IRA become the right decision?
Are you suggesting it wasn't? I don't know what it is you or POG expected the Irish government to do
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Zapatista

Quote from: Gnevin on February 02, 2009, 09:09:30 AM

Are you suggesting it wasn't? I don't know what it is you or POG expected the Irish government to do

I don't think they turned a blind eye it is you who thinks they did. They banned Republicans voices from the airwaves, they kidnapped and burried in concrete the body of a dead IRA man, they stood aginst hungerstikers in elections, they swaped intel with the British and extradited republicans into to the British hands and locked members of the IRA in their prisons on the word of a Garda.

If they had have done none of the above it would have been the least I would have expected.

Gnevin

Quote from: Zapatista on February 02, 2009, 09:22:52 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on February 02, 2009, 09:09:30 AM

I don't think they turned a blind eye it is you who thinks they did. They banned Republicans voices from the airwaves, they kidnapped and burried in concrete the body of a dead IRA man, they stood aginst hungerstikers in elections, they swaped intel with the British and extradited republicans into to the British hands and locked members of the IRA in their prisons on the word of a Garda.

If they had have done none of the above it would have been the least I would have expected.
And what about the 20's  to early 60's (excluding 39-45) . The government allowed the IRA to border hop and ignored the border campaign. Are your examples come from the 80's when the "war" had descended in bloody sectarian battle.

Chrisowc

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 10:14:53 AM
Do you have anything grown up to say chris?

There's a certain irony here considering your little performance in this thread :-*
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Zapatista

Quote from: Gnevin on February 02, 2009, 09:53:07 AM

And what about the 20's  to early 60's (excluding 39-45) . The government allowed the IRA to border hop and ignored the border campaign. Are your examples come from the 80's when the "war" had descended in bloody sectarian battle.

I see, you were talking about the 'Official IRA' all along. Sorry I misunderstood. I stand corrected. No need to answer my quetions 3 posts ago so.

ziggysego

Quote from: mannix on February 01, 2009, 09:04:18 PM
I was told by a man in new york that my english was very good. He was born and reared in queens.

I was once told by a Beragh man that he was surprised I could speak. He relayed his entire conversation with me through my cousin... p***k.
Testing Accessibility

Hereiam

Was going to start a thread similar to this. Was going to ask the posters from the south if they think that england has too much of an influence on them. No point in asking fellow northern posters as it is being forced on us. The main reason I ask this is by just watching RTE TV3 and the amount of British shows running on them. If the south had any sense they would not show any British soaps as this is portraying the British way of life that southerns may start to replicate. I now it sounds stupid but TV is the true way to Brain wash people.

ziggysego

TV3's lion share shareholder is Granada, so it's basically ITV Ireland. Personally never watch it, except for the GAA last year.
Testing Accessibility

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: J70 on January 31, 2009, 05:42:26 PM
[
I don't feel guilty about what the country did or didn't do either. I understand why someone from the north might be bitter about partition and the subsequent history and I acknowledge that all sides could (obviously!) have done things differently (not sure what you think would have been the correct things to do), but there isn't much I can do about that except support or reject whatever policies and changes over which I have some control (i.e. the current ones) that might improve the situation.

If you think the people of the south are guilty, perhaps you should petition the Irish government for an apology a la Blair's one for the famine.

I think you'll find J70 that plenty of people in Donegal did give a shit, and did plenty to help their fellow Irishmen in the occupied six.
As did the people of Cavan,, Monaghan, Leitrim, Louth, Kerry etc...
Tbc....

Zapatista

Quote from: Hereiam on February 02, 2009, 10:18:35 AM
Was going to start a thread similar to this. Was going to ask the posters from the south if they think that england has too much of an influence on them. No point in asking fellow northern posters as it is being forced on us. The main reason I ask this is by just watching RTE TV3 and the amount of British shows running on them. If the south had any sense they would not show any British soaps as this is portraying the British way of life that southerns may start to replicate. I now it sounds stupid but TV is the true way to Brain wash people.

I think that's taking it a bit far (or missing the point entirely). It's a little late for boycotting English soaps. Fair City isn't much better than the rest for their plots. Home & Away isn't going to make us Austrailians A better promotion of Irish culture would be welcome though. If we are concerned more about Emmerdale than we are about the entire Education system and the brain washing from the likes of Michael Mansreagh and Gregory Cambpbell then we have lost that battle.

Gnevin

Quote from: Hereiam on February 02, 2009, 10:18:35 AM

There are more Yankee programs on than British programs on the box

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Yeah Fair City really does wonders for Irish culture - current storyline is where one Dub kn**ker wants to learn irish cause she fancies the lad teaching it, once she tells this to her bud, the reply is "sure why would you want to learn Irish for anyway, sure its only the Provies that talk it!" I kid you not.  ::)
Tbc....