The Southern "Irish"

Started by rrhf, January 30, 2009, 05:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 12:51:00 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 31, 2009, 12:49:46 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 12:39:27 AM
You never answered me, what has where I'm living got to do with it?

Im not living amonst the enemy because I've yet to meet one of them that gives a shit.
How miss guided an I here I was thinking we sold you out in 1922 and the English where the oppressors. What living in England has to do with is that you've moved too the land of your oppressors and your questioning people in Ireland .
I want to live where I have a job.  Why would I mind what the English do in England? It's their country.
I mind the English being in Ireland, when they shouldnt be there.
Classic logic their .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

pintsofguinness

What, that I'll live where I have a job?

When you grow up and move out of mammy and daddy's, get your bills to pay, you'll understand.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Main Street

Quote from: Canalman on January 30, 2009, 10:24:58 PM
I
On the other topic, I feel it somewhat arrogant that a Northerner expresses surprise that people down South don't know/care much about the North. Why should they? They have their own worries/ daily/family responsibilities and would imo have the same interest towards the North as many Northerners would have towards for example Cork,Clare etc.........virtually zero.

For example I would contend that the Heroin "epidemic" in the South in the 1970/80s killed more than the Northern "Troubles" yet it is virtually airbrushed from the media consciousness. No doubt someone will sneer as to why they should care about "Junkies" etc but they were still fellow Irish people and imho should be remembered also as the casualties up the North are.

Just my own personal opinion. Sin é.
Blackly ironic but one situation is not that far removed from the other. If a good citizen in Dublin decided to phone in a complaint to the Gardai about a couple of people putting up H Block related posters in 1979,  you would have 2 car loads of special branch men around in 5 minutes flat to the scene. Any political meeting would not be complete without the usual car loads of them outside the meeting. I don't know how many were assigned to the special branch (at least there  must have been hundreds of smelly bogmen) doing feck all but trying to intimidate small time political activity.
Whilst Dinny Mullins and the  5 or 6 members of his drug squad were motoring around the heroin epidemic in bicycles.

Also before the heroin epidemic sunk in there was quite some presence on marches etc from young guys (boot boys) from the inner city. Once heroin took root, most of all that activity dissipated.

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 12:54:00 AM

When you grow up and move out of mammy and daddy's, get your bills to pay, you'll understand.
What I understand is that it is OK for you too sell out and live and work in the with the people who are occupying part of this island but you can get upset and start tarring everyone from Ireland with brush based on the actions of one air head . Sure no doubt you'd swear an oath too HRH for a bit of cash too .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gnevin on January 31, 2009, 12:57:27 AM

What I understand is that it is OK for you too sell out and live and work in the with the people who are occupying part of this island but you can get upset and start tarring everyone from Ireland with brush based on the actions of one air head . Sure no doubt you'd swear an oath too HRH for a bit of cash too .
How have I "sold out"?
Tarring everyone with the same  brush over an airhead? You said yous didnt care about the north so that would make my assumption correct.

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 12:59:14 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 31, 2009, 12:57:27 AM

How have I "sold out"?
Tarring everyone with the same  brush over an airhead? You said yous didnt care about the north so that would make my assumption correct.
If England is your enemy, the force occupying part of your county and your working their is a major contradiction if not a complete sell out.
I said no such thing.

pintsofguinness

Sorry, you're right I miss read your post.
I wonder would sitting at home picking up the dole from Queen be more a rebel action.   ::)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Declan on January 31, 2009, 12:11:02 AM
QuoteYou think it only goes one way?
No pints I don't but the thread was about "Southerners" and their knowledge or attitude towards the North. I didn't take particular offence at the term when it was used but it was obviously an insult and in my mind said more about the lad who spewed it at me than anything else.  Not surprised it was Laois lads who were involved in your story though - sure look at the ignorance of some of their posters on here ;)

Don't get me started on the bottle throwing Dubs    :P
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 01:07:50 AM
I wonder would sitting at home picking up the dole from Queen be more a rebel action.   ::)
You could work in Ireland, the other 26 EU countries, Canada or Australia are looking for people. Even  Scotland or Wales would be better.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Gnevin on January 31, 2009, 01:11:01 AM
You could work in Ireland, the other 26 EU countries, Canada or Australia are looking for people. Even  Scotland or Wales would be better.

Gnevin I don't see the harm in pints going to England to get work,at least he is getting off his hole and making a life/career for himself
And aren't Canada,Australia Wales and Scotland all part of the Commonwealth so what would be the difference if he worked there instead of England?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

:D

Gnevin

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 31, 2009, 01:14:15 AM

Gnevin I don't see the harm in pints going to England to get work,at least he is getting off his hole and making a life/career for himself
And aren't Canada,Australia Wales and Scotland all part of the Commonwealth so what would be the difference if he worked there instead of England?
To be honest I've no problem with anyone going to work in England but if POG is going to get all high and mighty about some Air head , I will get all high and mighty about him moving over to Britian to be closer to Lizzy ;)

Donagh

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 01:14:54 AM
:D

What a p***k. I spent most of the early 90s working abroad, London included, because there was no work at home. I followed 30 years worth of close relations who left rather than be a burden on the family. On principle, I was always determined to come back - I wonder will yer man return in a few years time after he has tasted the Dublin dole for a while?

thejuice

Well. im back from the pub now, and while this post might not make sense it will make more sense then the shite on the last 3 pages. For f**k sake, Some Laois lad took the pisss out of a Tyrone lad on the Hill someday that time forgot when dinosaurs were playing corner forward. Therefore the South hate the North or vice versa.

The problem is that through media and society I'm not sure if young lads or lassies are brought up on british celebrity culture(which includes sportsmen) and their role models become airheads like Peter and Jordan(i recently saw on the BBC a parent who said Jordan was a good role model for her daughter!! f**k sake!. The tabloid media which certain people seem to subscribe to tend to report on British issues and the Irishness of their publications tend to be on how they rotate the sports pages.

Of course there is also at the very top level a lack of leadership and inspiration amoung people. In America thank God they have a man and woman in Hilary to give their youth something great to aspire to. What have we had in Ireland? Cowan and Harney? Nothing but corruption and inneptitude. Its time the ordianry person stood up to the social decay thats going. In England and I've been here long enough to see people sit back and let the rot set in, in their communities and then they complain about the crime and violence in their locallity.

The Irish arent known for their complacency so why start now!!
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

carribbear

I have called many in the 26 counties free-state b**tards and still maintain that opinion. The attitude shown by the majority toward the north was nothing short of ignorant and even to this day they still dont look on the irish of the six counties as being their fellow citizen. Thats what has always annoyed me about it.They were just lucky their land wasnt drawn within a border.

Totally agree with POG on this one - the "i'm alright jack" mentality was always there.