The Southern "Irish"

Started by rrhf, January 30, 2009, 05:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cville

Quote from: ONeill on January 30, 2009, 09:18:15 PM
Southerners don't trust us.

What we need is some form of physical demarcation line - keep the southeners out of our liberated zone. We need a physical and political line between us and them .. any ideas?

Gnevin

Awe the poor wee ones up North are upset because some idiot doesn't understand their history and . Sure that's evidence the whole of Ireland doesn't care about the North.

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 12:03:37 AM
Quote from: Declan on January 31, 2009, 12:01:21 AM
Free state b**tard - ah the memories alright. Canal End 1995 when I asked a Tyrone supporter to refrain from blowing smoke into my aunts face and generally acting the bollix was the last time I was called one. In general terms over the years the vast majority of people in the republic levels of interest in the North were minimal enough I'd say

You think it only goes one way?
We were asked by Laois men, in a pub in dublin before a game, if we were going to stand for the national anthem.

At another game  I also had to sit in front of another laois man and we heard nothing but abuse about northerners the entire game. 

Everyone could tell stories you know.

Yeah but we are awful c***ts though
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gnevin on January 31, 2009, 12:26:00 AM
Awe the poor wee ones up North are upset because some idiot doesn't understand their history and . Sure that's evidence the whole of Ireland doesn't care about the North.

I'm surprised you know there's a world outside Dublin.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

Pints is upset. The rest of us couldn't give a shit about youse!

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 12:27:51 AM

I've been to every county on the Island for Dublin matches. Aren't you living over in England at the moment POG?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gnevin on January 31, 2009, 12:32:07 AM

I've been to every county on the Island for Dublin matches. Aren't you living over in England at the moment POG?
Yes, what's that got to do with anything?

btw, I dont believe for a second that we've got a real life travelling dub's supporter on the board, what next leparcauns ?

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 12:32:49 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 31, 2009, 12:32:07 AM

Yes, what's that got to do with anything?

btw, I dont believe for a second that we've got a real life travelling dub's supporter on the board, what next leparcauns ?
Jasus your extra cranky today. Maybe life amongst the enemy is getting too you.

pintsofguinness

You never answered me, what has where I'm living got to do with it?

Im not living amonst the enemy because I've yet to meet one of them that gives a shit.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 12:39:27 AM

Im not living amonst the enemy because I've yet to meet one of them that gives a shit.
Jesus Pints if the southerners don't give a shit and the English don't give a shit who do you moan to?! Oh right now i know!

stephenite

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 30, 2009, 10:27:23 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 30, 2009, 06:46:21 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 30, 2009, 06:44:29 PM
Quote from: Main Street on January 30, 2009, 06:40:55 PM
Quote from: rrhf on January 30, 2009, 05:55:34 PMWhat sort of history are youse guys teaching down there in the free state?
Nothing more pig ignorant than a northerner who spits out
'are yew a free ssshtater?'  ;D

When are freestaters going to release that northerners normally dont mean anything by the term "freestater".
most of the time  the term "freestater" is followed by a lovely endearing term like"b**tard".
its amazing isnt it,how we could take offence from that  ::)

I would wager you a crisp ten pound note that you have never been called a freestater b**tard in your life.

Until now.

Sort the grammar out you freestater b**tard! :)

Funny - it was a term used quite regularly at Solitude to describe southern Irish footballers that played in the Irish league, as I was one of them (a free stater, not a footballer) I ued to get quite a bit of stick in the same vein when I was at Cliftonville games. So I can only assume that it's not just used at soccer matches.

It didn't really bother me, call me a free stater and I'll call you British - normally gets a laugh.

Fear ón Srath Bán

rrhf was using too broad a brush in any case - the line actually runs from Dublin to Galway, aka the 'Mason-Dixie Line', albeit with an Oirish slant. Although when he says southern, maybe he means that in the literal geographical sense, in which case, anyone from above the Mason-Dixie, wind yer necks in  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Gnevin

How miss guided an I here I was thinking we sold you out in 1922 and the English where the oppressors. What living in England has to do with is that you've moved too the land of your oppressors and your questioning people in Ireland .

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gnevin on January 31, 2009, 12:49:46 AM

How miss guided an I here I was thinking we sold you out in 1922 and the English where the oppressors. What living in England has to do with is that you've moved too the land of your oppressors and your questioning people in Ireland .
I want to live where I have a job.  Why would I mind what the English do in England? It's their country.
I mind the English being in Ireland, when they shouldnt be there.

Gnevin

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 31, 2009, 12:48:55 AM
rrhf was using too broad a brush in any case - the line actually runs from Dublin to Galway, aka the 'Mason-Dixie Line', albeit with an Oirish slant. Although when he says southern, maybe he means that in the literal geographical sense, in which case, anyone from above the Mason-Dixie, wind yer necks in  ;)
I thought that was the Hurling line , with Antrim being the exception the proves the rule